Serger Stitches

June E Hudspeth

Good Evening Everyone:

As I continue my journey to mastering or getting better at my little serger, I have a question.

I’m trying to do a 3 thread “wide” flatlock stitch.

Last time I did this stitch, my settings were:  Needle: 1, Next Needle: N (because I’m not using it); Upper Looper: 1 and Lower Looper: 4.

I was using cotton fabric it worked great.  Now I’m using organza and it’s not working correctly.

So, my thoughts are, maybe because I’m using organza; the settings should be different?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat:  I know your out there (laugh) and Cheryl (laugh).

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June

Cat - N

What is happening to your stitches?  Are you getting stitch formation?  Did you test on cotton?  Adjust tensions?  Might try it on plain cotton, then when it’s right, on organza to see what changes are due to fabric alone.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Nov 16, 2020 at 10:23 PM, <June E Hudspeth> wrote:

Good Evening Everyone:

As I continue my journey to mastering or getting better at my little serger, I have a question.

I’m trying to do a 3 thread “wide” flatlock stitch.

Last time I did this stitch, my settings were:  Needle: 1, Next Needle: N (because I’m not using it); Upper Looper: 1 and Lower Looper: 4.

I was using cotton fabric it worked great.  Now I’m using organza and it’s not working correctly.

So, my thoughts are, maybe because I’m using organza; the settings should be different?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat:  I know your out there (laugh) and Cheryl (laugh).

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June

Cheryl Paul

Hey June, Good Morning,

Have you tried using a different colour in each thread space - that’s 4 colours. Then do a test sample on scrap organza. Stretch the fabric out when you’ve stitched it to see what happens to the flat fell. If there is a picture of this in your manual, compare it - I don’t do much of this type of serging. From what you see on the bottom, compare to the cotton and see which tensions seem to be off and adjust them. You are a trooper, keep trying, you’ll get it. Remember that you really do need to experiment as each machine is just a little different, even if they have the same name, number, etc. Thread also makes a difference and we all have our preferences or use what is available to us in our individual sewing markets - we can just hope that most of our stores carry a good quality. Also remember that the organza is “see through” so it might look different than your other fabric because it is see through, but maybe isn’t really different. It just might show a different look.

If you have the “Footbook App” or Jim and Dianes and the serger is featured - watch it. Diane gives very good instruction. Maybe we need to get Jim and Diane to to a “Serger App” for us - if they have the time and are willing to do so.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

Oh June, I don’t know if I mentioned - “Good for you” in trying to get the most out of your serger. You are a very good woman.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Cheryl: You are way too kind (big smile).

But, thank you for the really nice comment.

Oh June, I don’t know if I mentioned - “Good for you” in trying to get the most out of your serger. You are a very good woman.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Thanks Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try "all of them".

Hold please (laugh).

[...]

Absolutely 4 colors to test. I leave my machine threaded with different colors. I only change for topstitching when it needs to match. ‘Only’ with different colors can you easily tell what part of stitching needs adjusting.

On Nov 17, 2020 at 11:23 AM, <Cheryl Paul> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cat.

I sent photo, hoping that might help someone determine “what” I’m doing wrong.  If not, then I will do as you & Cheryl suggest & change colors.

[...]

S GRAY

June, u need to use a water soluble stablizer -maybe 2-3 layers to serge on thin fabric-or a tear-away