Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles

Cat - N

I don't actually own any needles for use in my Janome machines that were not made by Organ (or branded as "Janome"), but I have run into a couple 'sticky' situations lately with basting spray and applique double-stick...neither of which is 'supposed' to gum needles.  The problematic basting spray is the same brand I have bought for years and never had the slightest issue with, but the last two cans I bought (from Amazon...not from Joann's as I normally do) are 'different' and DO ever so slightly gum the needle but enough that it can/does cause the thread to break during quilting, also grabbing a few batting fibers now and then and creating a 'puff' on the 'sticky' needle.  The applique adhesive is a 'popular' brand for applique and 'seam' bonding that I switched to because the previous 'popular' brand of 'seam' adhesive was gumming the needles.

So, in researching 'why' the needles are getting 'gummy' by products that are not supposed to gum the needles, I found a product called "Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles" and I have actually ordered 5 packs in 4 different sizes.  But I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with these needles BEFORE I put them in my 15000.  As I said, I haven't owned machine needles that weren't 'Janome' in about 50 years, and I am not 'above' NOT using the Schmetz Super Non-Stick needles IF they COULD cause my Janome 15000 or 11000, or my Kenmore (made by Janome) to have any problem whatsoever.

Opinions, recommendations, advice, and experiences are extremely welcome!  I would especially like to know whether or not those needles are 'safe' to use in my Janome machines.

Thanks!

- Cat (FL)

Ceil J

Cat,
Organ does make Teflon non-stick needles too.  My dealer gave me some to try and they work great.
Ceil

Cat - N

Cool...Thanks!!!  I will look for the teflon needles by Janome.  I had not seen or heard of them but I would definitely prefer Organ.  Just as info only, I use Schmetz needles in my Pfaff serger, and I know people who use Schmetz in their Janome's, so I have no animosity for the brand!

I was going to just throw out these two cans of basting spray and get the kind I normally get at Joann's where I can handle the can and read the label BEFORE paying and make sure it's 'the good kind'...then I used the applique adhesive and it gummed my needle, too...so I was hoping to not have to throw out all those, too.  I have 3 packages of 5 sheets each, and 1/4" and 1/2" reels of it, too.

Thank you so much, Ceil!

- Cat

Cat - N

I found 3 sizes of Janome nonstick (teflon) needles, so I got them, and I didn't cancel the 4 sizes of Schmetz nonstick needles, so hopefully I can avoid the needle getting gummed up if/when I use the applique sheets.  I do still intend to get the basting spray that has NEVER gummed my needles, and 'may' just throw out these two cans of it.

Again, thank you so much, Ceil.  No idea why I couldn't get Organ nonstick needles to come back in a search...only Schmetz.

- Cat

From: Ceil J <cjancola@...>

Cat,

Organ does make Teflon non-stick needles too.  My dealer gave me some to try and they work great.
Ceil

Ceil J

Cat,
You're very welcome.  I have a lot of Schmetz needles but since I got my 15000 haven't used them in it.  I have a straight stitch only Juki and use them for that.  I'll never need more :)  But I also use my "used" purple tipped needles in the Juki too as they're usually still usable for sewing when I no longer want to embroider with them.
Love my dealer.  If he recommends something it will be great.  I've used the Organ non stick with some iron on batting that I bought years ago and with sticky tear away and have had no issues. Someone at some time said that Schmetz needles are slightly larger and don't work as well with machines that are designed to use Organ needles.  Whether or not this is true (they said something about timing) I never took the chance.  But having compared their length with a magnifying glass I don't find a difference.  Maybe someone else here has measured them.

Lyn Quine

I have a Janome 350e a 12000 and the 15000 upgraded to QM and a 6600P, I have always used Schmetz Microtex needles in all the machines, including for embroidery.  I have on rare occasions used Janome blue tip for embroidery but only if I couldn’t lay my hands on the Schmetz.  I’ve never had an issue with them they have always threaded easily.

I don’t use any sticky stuff because I have found that, regardless of how soaring with it, the needle will transfer it to the plate and to the bobbin area, I do have the sticky stabiliser but again that gums things up so stopped using that too.  I’ve found that if the needle got gummy a wipe down with a lint free cloth sprayed with silicon spray, not oil, that removes it easily, then wipe with a dry cloth and it’s good.
  Lyn

On 19 Oct 2021, at 12:07, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

[...]

Lyn,
Glad to know you've never had a problem with the Schmetz.  I have a wide variety of them and will give them a try for some specialty things.
Clover now offers sewing needles and they're made by Organ too. (Just to share that info in case anyone finds them at a great price.)

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 7:22 AM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:
[...]

Kathy Skagen

I have used Schmetz needles in my very old Janome MC 10001 and never had any problems. I have also used Organ needles with the same results.

What silicon spray do you use? I wonder if it would work for cleaning my hoops that have some adhesive spray on them.
Thanks,
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 06:22:23 AM CDT, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

[...]

Ambersil silicon spray, it’s non oily and is sold by Barnyarns in the UK.  Barnyarns are quite a large sewing supplies company.  It’s a medium silicon spray.  But I only use it on a cloth I don’t spray the machine.  We used to use it many years ago for spraying fluffy yarn, for a knitting machine, it just stopped the fluff from catching on the carriage as it travelled across the bed.

On 19 Oct 2021, at 17:52, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you! I will see if I can find it or something like it in the US.

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:22:12 PM CDT, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

[...]

JoAnn Novak

   Use Dawn dish soap to clean them up.

  Works great,

 JoAnn

On 10/19/2021 9:51 AM, Kathy Skagen wrote:
[...]

wlstarn@aol.com

WAWAK sells a dry silicone spray.  They're based in the US.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM, Lyn Quine
<lynquine@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I'll check it out.
Kathy

<lynquine@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, JoAnn. I have not had that work for me. I've been using 505 adhesive spray and I have tried quite a few cleaning products and very few really worked.

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 02:38:40 PM CDT, JoAnn Novak <vinjosew@...> wrote:

[...]

favymtz

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz

Cat - N

It 'might' be that I am just too 'lazy' (or have too little time) to clean up a sticky mess if I can avoid creating one in the first place...Thinking face...but I made a 'square tube' out of copy/printer paper (4 pieces taped together) and I set it in the hoop if I NEED to spray stabilizer/fabric with basting spray so none of the sticky stuff ever gets on my hoops...hopefully.  All the over spray collects on the interior of the 'square tube' and if the square tube gets too yuckie on the inside, I just make a new one.  It might be a bit fiddly (and eccentric...LOL) but I also don't want to breathe that icky-sticky stuff...I have enough breathing issues without adding more by my own hand.

I use the square tube to spray inside of/through when sandwiching quilts, too, especially if/when near an area that over spray might/would get something else yuckie...such as near edges...and I 'lift up/curl' the backing/batting upward when working toward corners when spraying, too, so any over spray has a 'dam' to 'flow' toward...not my table or surroundings, and to prevent the ceiling fan from spreading it randomly throughout the room.

I keep all suggested hoop cleaning tips though...never know when they might just save my day!  Thank you so much!

- Cat (FL)

When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz

Pixey

I use a spray shield as well to protect my hoops. I bought some plastic sheets (template Mylar sold in the quilting section) and cut out the centers for the embroidery area for the different hoops. Then I lay these over the hoop and spray in the middle. Depending on the level of buildup after a project, I will clean or pitch the shields. I also use a cardboard spray box outside anytime I use the spray to minimize exposure to the spray and position it so I am standing upwind.

That said, I have used the Organ Anti-Glue Embroidery needles with adhesive tear away and did not notice any stickiness afterward. I have noticed in going to a couple of vendor promos at my sewing machine store and “adhesive stabilizer that does not leave a sticky residue” is something they are emphasizing in the sales pitch.

Pixey

Kathy Skagen

Cat,
That is a great idea! I made a template that is flat with an opening so that the hoop is covered but sometimes a little spray gets on the hoop. I think your idea would definitely work better! I always use the spray outside. (I don't make quilts.) I don't want any overspray to fall on my table or floor. I will try to recreate your idea.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 10:05:05 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy, it's an extremely 'scientific and technical' contraption...LOL  I took a few photos so you don't have to imagine it.  It is sitting on a small blue cutting board (June Tailor, I think...for scale) and you can kind of get an idea how big it is by counting the grid.  I also set it on my SQ23 hoop (in its bag...230mm x 230mm), which I used the other day and plan to be using again soon, and I took a photo of it kinda showing the height.    You can even see the Halloween log cabin blocks I am working on...two roughly identical throws for cozy and decor if temps stay too warm.  I don't do a lot of spraying in my hoops most of the time, but this is quick and easy to make, doesn't involve much expense so is completely trashable and requires no storage if I decide to discard them after every go-round of whatever I need basting spray ITH.

- Cat (FL)

[...]

Great idea!  Especially since it can be stored flat.  I had been using a box but then I have a box with nothing that can really go in it!  Thanks.