Saving designs to work on both 350E and the 15000

Susan Kime

Hello

I have been part of this group for a long while and have found all your help amazing….

However I have a query now myself… How do I save designs  that I have already saved onto my 15000  to sew out on a 350e…. I have an EmbF5 folder on my 1500 that was created  which when I open there is another folder which says my design and in this are designs that I have either created in Horizon or got off the internet. When I put any of these onto a usb stick and put into my friends 350e nothing comes up..so what I am I doing wrong. I have formatted her usb in her machine before putting in mine to download designs. Also can I put any of my 15000 designs off the internet or designed myself that I have on my computer or in my machine onto her usb so that she can use them.. Hope you can understand what I am trying to do. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Regards Sue

Pixey

I don’t have mine anymore, but the 350e used a totally different folder structure from the modern EMB, Embf structure.  The folder structure was Embf5>MyDesign>design.JEF. It could not handle any sub folders.

Also, you need to use a small USB drive of 1G or less.

I would recommend creating a separate USB drive for the 350e (format it in the machine).  Then use your computer to move over the designs.  I used color coded dots to keep straight which USB was formatted for which machine.

Pixey

On Oct 21, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Susan Kime via groups.io <susan.kime@...> wrote:

[...]

Roberta K

Hi Sue,

I don’t own a 15000, but I don’t think that matters. If you want your saved designs to work with a 350e you have to save the designs with  the correct hoop designated. A hoop for the 350e (A or B) is different from the hoops of the 15000. That is why nothing is coming up.

Roberta in Fl

Lyn Quine

Any designs you create yourself, can be shared they are your designs.  They must be put into the folder called my designs on the USB.  If you have put the whole embf5 file from your 15000 onto her USB then take the designs you have out of them put them into the correct folder on her USB and delete the folders from your 15000 from her USB.  I think that makes sense 😂   Also they might not be in the correct format, depends how you transferred them they might be jpx which is a format for the 15000.  Perhaps it would be easier to take them back to Horizon link or another software and resave a .jef and make sure they are in the right size hoop

As for giving her designs you have downloaded of the net or from the inbuilt designs on your 15000, then no that is file sharing and they aren’t yours to share, you have purchased them but that does not allow you to share them with others.  The inbuilt designs may also be in the jpx format.

On 21 Oct 2021, at 14:01, Susan Kime via groups.io <susan.kime@...> wrote:

[...]

I missed the last part of your query, about sharing designs.  If they are designs that you created, then yes, you can share them.  However, designs you have purchased or found on the internet are likely copyright protected against sharing, unless someone has explicitly put them out as rights-free.

But keep in mind the 350e had smaller hoops than the 15000 and had a lower stitch limit.  Hoop sizes were 125mm x 110mm and 200mm x 140mm.  Stitch limit was 64,000.

[...]

I know what you are saying and the designs are not copyright and they are only small designs and I can fit them into a smaller hoop through software if that was necessary. No the problem is that the 350 e will not recognise any of the designs that I but onto the usb for her machine even though I am using what I thought was the correct way of saying them into a MY Design folder through the EmbF5 Folder on the machine… But thanks for your suggestions.

Sue

[...]

Not sure this is correct as long as the design is small enough to fit a 350e hoop and is in the correct format and saved correctly which is where I might be  going wrong it should work!!! After all when you buy a design they only ask for the format you require not what model of machine you have… So still perplexed??

Thanks for the suggestion though..

Sue

I don’t own a 15000, but I don’t think that matters. If you want your saved designs to work with a 350e you have to save the designs with  the correct hoop designated. A hoop for the 350e (A or B) is different from the hoops of the 15000. That is why nothing is coming up.

Roberta in Fl

Susan Kime

This is where my designs are for the 350e on my 15000 so should work when I send them to a formatted 350e usb. Think I will have to contact Janome’s tech guy as going around in circles…

[...]

Two other things did occur to me.  The 350e was based on very early computer technology.

It did not allow or recognize any design file names over 8 alphanumeric characters.  And would NOT allow spaces in the file or folder names.  In one of your posts, you have the folder name as My Design with a space.  I don’t know if that was autocorrect or if that is the path, but the space would be causing the problem.

 Also, one time I created the file structure on a USB from my computer, but the 350e would still not recognize it.  I am not sure why but I HAD to go through the machine formatting process to set up the USB for it to recognize the files.

Pixey

[...]

Tracy

Susan-

You are right- if you download a design from online and get it in jef format... it should be right for the 350e.  The exception is if it's oriented in the correct direction for the hoop.  If even 1 stitch is outside the hoops embroidery field (which is not the entire size of the hoop since you have to allow for the width/depth of the embroidery foot to travel inside the hoop itself.)  So this may be why designs do not show up in the machine.  It's a really common reason actually.

The biggest reason for them not to show up is not being in the correct folder or the transfer device being too large for the machine to handle.  The compact flash cards (in an adapter) or usb sticks should not be larger than 1gb for this machine.  You will not find any design with over 64000 stitches, or past the # color changes which I do not remember right off - sorry.  There cannot be more than 100 designs in the embroidery folder either.  The more designs there are- the longer it takes to get started since the machine has to read everything in the folder before it will give you the designs to pick from and this can take several minutes if the device has more than just 5-6 designs at a time.

I would suggest taking the transfer device and formatting it in the machine again.  (Turn off machine, insert device, turn machine on, go to Settings and find the Format button, let it do it's thing.)  Take the device to your computer and open it sto see what is on it.  If there is anything besides the embroidery folder for the machine, remove it!  Then you know where to put your designs and it's easy to find the folder.

As for online designs that are downloaded... If the person who has the machine downloads them (purchased or free) then that is fine.  If you download them and then put them on the device to take to her machine, that is file sharing and illegal.  Any design that you make from scratch (the first stitch to the last) you can give away since they are yours.  If you edit a design from online (change it in any way from a color change to adding parts of several designs and making a new one, to resizing) you cannot share what you have done - again it's illegal.  I apologize if this is repetitious of what someone else wrote, but no one wants to get put into embroidery jail (they take all our software, hard drives, usb device, cds, computer, everything!!!  Fines are huge!!!  And prison time is optional for the prosecuter/judge).

Hope this helps!

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator