Topics

rulers for 1400

sewnice@...

Hi all,
Is Westalee a good brand  of rulers to use for the 1400.   Are there better ones available?

thanks in advance
Sharon

SewingRose

I have Westalee (6mm thick) and also some generic ones via eBay (4mm thick) and while I prefer the thicker ones there was a huge price variation.   Some reviews stated the ruler foot can ride up on the thinner rulers but I haven't had this happen, so maybe it's an advertising ploy.  Don't know if there are 'better' rulers available, but the generics had a wider variety when I was shopping. 

If you plan to buy a generic ruler foot, be aware 'some' of them are plastic painted silver to make them look metal...my preference is metal because I've had plastic feet break in the past.  However the ruler foot I purchased for my straight stitcher is metal and has up/down adjustment via the attachment screw which means I am able to use the rulers on both machines. 

It depends how much you will use the rulers, but I don't regret my purchase in any way and have lots of variety.  There are more and more styles available in the generics as they become more popular.  Hope this helps?  ;-)

Cat - N

With a 15000 and a long arm quilter living here, I get 1/4" thick, "long arm quilter" rulers which can also be used on both. Thickness matters...I don't want a thinner plastic ruler slipping under the foot and/or under the needle on any machine. 

I do not have any Westalee rulers at present, so I cannot comment on Westalee quality.  However, comparing ruler brands I do have at the moment, I do not see any 'outstanding' differences in the plastics, rigidity, smoothness, flatness, clarity, etc., between any of the ones we have, or ones I have seen in person. 

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 2:48 pm
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] rulers for 1400

Hi all,
Is Westalee a good brand  of rulers to use for the 1400.   Are there better ones available?

thanks in advance
Sharon

favymtz

Janome sells a ruler work foot for your 14000 machine. I would suggest you buy it rather than a generic foot.
Shop around for rulers, they're everywhere with lots of different shapes and sizes as well as thickness.
SewSteady is another brand and they did a starter package of rulers for Janome.
They're good quality, not quite as thick as some but I have no problem with the foot slipping on top of them.
Learning rule work is whole new adventure!
--
Favymtz

Vikki Youngmeyer

I work part time in an LQS that sells Westalee rulers. They seem to be pretty “bullet proof”. I’ve not heard of any of them breaking or cracking.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] rulers for 1400

With a 15000 and a long arm quilter living here, I get 1/4" thick, "long arm quilter" rulers which can also be used on both. Thickness matters...I don't want a thinner plastic ruler slipping under the foot and/or under the needle on any machine. 

I do not have any Westalee rulers at present, so I cannot comment on Westalee quality.  However, comparing ruler brands I do have at the moment, I do not see any 'outstanding' differences in the plastics, rigidity, smoothness, flatness, clarity, etc., between any of the ones we have, or ones I have seen in person. 

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 2:48 pm
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] rulers for 1400

Hi all,

thanks in advance
Sharon

sewnice@...

thank you very much.
Sharon

Lyn Quine

Contact your dealer about the Janome ruler foot, and the Janome rulers, which are made by Westalee.  I did have another brand and used the foot and rulers on my 6600, but they weren’t what I wanted, but I have now purchased the adjustable foot and added the ruler foot to it for my 6600 and I also have the ruler foot for the 15000 which was part of the upgrade.  I bought the Janome rulers (difficult in the UK at the time). Like most new innovations, it takes a while to launch in the UK, we seem to lag behind in the the Janome world and in fact there are some things we cannot get hold of at all, like workbooks in the UK, but thankfully Jims apps for the ipad are available.

Pixey

Actually, I learned in a ruler work workshop at my dealer’s late last fall that Sew Steady (which had been a US distributor) bought out Westalee Design in August 2019.  The sewsteady.com website explains this and now has links to the Westalee videos.  

And yes, I find that they are good rulers.  Most come in 3 thicknesses, 6mm for Longarm, 4.5mm for higher clearance domestic machines (which includes the various Ruler Feet made for Janome machines by Janome), and 3mm for lower clearance machines/generic feet.  Also, they have a lot of good helpful markings for different template alignment options.  They make a Janome branded sampler kit that includes one or two templates that cannot be purchased separately.

Also, the customer service was good.  I bought the feathers template set and after I got it one of the templates had a nasty burr.  I emailed them a picture of the problem and got a replacement in the mail in very short order.  Only negative I have is that ordering direct, their shipping charge is pricey.  But if you can go through an authorized dealer, you don’t have to pay shipping.

Pixey

On Sep 22, 2020, at 9:31 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Janome sells a ruler work foot for your 14000 machine. I would suggest you buy it rather than a generic foot.
Shop around for rulers, they're everywhere with lots of different shapes and sizes as well as thickness.
SewSteady is another brand and they did a starter package of rulers for Janome.
They're good quality, not quite as thick as some but I have no problem with the foot slipping on top of them.
Learning rule work is whole new adventure!
--
Favymtz

bhoryn

Will the adjustable foot work on my 550?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 12:12 PM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

Contact your dealer about the Janome ruler foot, and the Janome rulers, which are made by Westalee.  I did have another brand and used the foot and rulers on my 6600, but they weren’t what I wanted, but I have now purchased the adjustable foot and added the ruler foot to it for my 6600 and I also have the ruler foot for the 15000 which was part of the upgrade.  I bought the Janome rulers (difficult in the UK at the time). Like most new innovations, it takes a while to launch in the UK, we seem to lag behind in the the Janome world and in fact there are some things we cannot get hold of at all, like workbooks in the UK, but thankfully Jims apps for the ipad are available.

Pixey

No.  Ruler work is a technique for regular sewing machines.  In my case as an alternative to abysmal free motion skills.  Particularly to fill in around machine embroidered free motion style designs.  As the 550 is an embroidery-only machine, the foot and technique are not applicable to it.

Pixey

On Sep 22, 2020, at 12:21 PM, bhoryn via groups.io <bhoryn@...> wrote:

Will the adjustable foot work on my 550?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 12:12 PM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

Pixey

One other item regarding acrylic rulers and templates. I do not know whether Sew Steady has been affected or not but my local quilt store has been doing a weekly video feed and last week the owner shared that she has been warned by her distributors that due to the demand for acrylic panels for COVID partitions, they are starting to see a shortage of some speciality quilting rulers and she should expect to see a price increase coming as well.

Pixey