Topics

rulers for 1400

sewnice@...

Hi all,
Is Westalee a good brand  of rulers to use for the 1400.   Are there better ones available?

thanks in advance
Sharon

SewingRose

I have Westalee (6mm thick) and also some generic ones via eBay (4mm thick) and while I prefer the thicker ones there was a huge price variation.   Some reviews stated the ruler foot can ride up on the thinner rulers but I haven't had this happen, so maybe it's an advertising ploy.  Don't know if there are 'better' rulers available, but the generics had a wider variety when I was shopping.

If you plan to buy a generic ruler foot, be aware 'some' of them are plastic painted silver to make them look metal...my preference is metal because I've had plastic feet break in the past.  However the ruler foot I purchased for my straight stitcher is metal and has up/down adjustment via the attachment screw which means I am able to use the rulers on both machines.

It depends how much you will use the rulers, but I don't regret my purchase in any way and have lots of variety.  There are more and more styles available in the generics as they become more popular.  Hope this helps?  ;-)

Cat - N

With a 15000 and a long arm quilter living here, I get 1/4" thick, "long arm quilter" rulers which can also be used on both. Thickness matters...I don't want a thinner plastic ruler slipping under the foot and/or under the needle on any machine.

I do not have any Westalee rulers at present, so I cannot comment on Westalee quality.  However, comparing ruler brands I do have at the moment, I do not see any 'outstanding' differences in the plastics, rigidity, smoothness, flatness, clarity, etc., between any of the ones we have, or ones I have seen in person.

- Cat (FL)