Ruler foot update

Pixey

A while back I had referenced that my quilt guild was staring a new Ruler Work Bee and I was trying to figure out which machine to take (S9, 6600P, or 15000). It has been a learning opportunity for me and another Janome owner and I thought I would share my new knowledge.

I ended up taking one of my 6600P machines because it had come with an extension table and I already had the Free Motion Quilting Set and ruler work shoe to put on it. Another member brought her S7, for which she had bought a Sew Steady Table and the new Janome Universal 9mm Ruler Foot. This foot looks like the Free Motion Quilting Set but with the ruler shoe already built onto it.

Unfortunately neither set up worked out that great. For my 6600P, I discovered when doing crosshatching that the ruler foot is off center from the needle by about 1/16th of an inch front to back. The leader of the Bee confirmed it was a machine issue and not user error. I tested it on my other 6600P when I got home and had the same result. Unfortunately there is not enough play in how the shoe attaches to correct for this.

For my friend with the S7, she found that the shoe of her Ruler Work foot had more play than mine and she could not get it to tighten down. Also, it was off center right to left, but she could change the stitch width position to accommodate for it. Bigger issue was that she could had to use a basic utility straight stitch and adjust all the tensions, feed dogs, etc., manually because under the Free Motion settings, she could not turn off the pivot feature. And with the height of the ruler foot, there wasn’t enough clearance to have a needle down/foot up configuration. Also, she found her Sew Steady table did not fit real well on the S7 because of the downward front curvature of the bed right of the needle. This was something I had never consciously noticed about my S9 but I checked and it would be an issue with it as well.

So I am rethinking taking my 15000v3 and she is rethinking that she may bring her M7, despite their weight and bulk.

Pixey