"Retired" Janome Machines? Latest Machine Software Version?

Carole Hollmann

All --

I am a member of this Janome group who reads every post, but almost never contributes.  I have hardly touched my MC 15000 since Covid arrived.  I've just lost interest.  However, what did catch my attention is the talk about machines being "retired."  Does that include the MC 15000 and what exactly does retired mean?  Also, when I start my machine, it says Version 3 software on the screen.  Is that the latest?  I did have my machine upgraded to Quilt Maker when that opportunity was offered, and I've owned the machine for (maybe) 7-8 years.

I had my machine serviced just after the original Covid lockdown was lifted and my dealer opened again.  As I said, I've hardly used it, but it seems like it is sewing the best it ever has.

Thanks everyone.

Carole Hollmann

atheodossis@...

Hi, you can go to the global Janome site and search for the latest version; I think they do have an update for the 15000, but it has to be the mechanical V3 to take the upgrade. I have the 14000, but they don't have any upgrades for the 14000s. My 14000 is V3,  but no HP; Wifi; or Ruler work, since these are 15000 exclusives. But I have the M7, so I get the HP and Ruler there. I never cared for Wifi, so I don't mind not having the Wifi. I have Digitizer, that I use for all my embroideries.

Cat - N

Version 3 is the latest version for the 15000. I didn’t see the 15000 on the Janome “Retired” machines list…and it has no current replacement, but Janome ‘was’ going to release a new machine this year…which has been delayed until next year. It’s possible an employee at a Janome (sales?) location used the word “retired” in anticipation of the release of a new machine but the last new machines didn’t ‘retire’ the 15000 so perhaps it will be that an upgraded model is on the horizon that will ‘replace’ the 15000 as the ‘new’ TOL embroidery/sewing combo machine for sale to customers like us…like the 15000 did to the 12000…and the 12000 did to the 11000.  We shall see!  😁

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Nov 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM, <Carole Hollmann via groups.io> wrote:

All --

I am a member of this Janome group who reads every post, but almost never contributes.  I have hardly touched my MC 15000 since Covid arrived.  I've just lost interest.  However, what did catch my attention is the talk about machines being "retired."  Does that include the MC 15000 and what exactly does retired mean?  Also, when I start my machine, it says Version 3 software on the screen.  Is that the latest?  I did have my machine upgraded to Quilt Maker when that opportunity was offered, and I've owned the machine for (maybe) 7-8 years.

I had my machine serviced just after the original Covid lockdown was lifted and my dealer opened again.  As I said, I've hardly used it, but it seems like it is sewing the best it ever has.

Thanks everyone.

Carole Hollmann

Fiona Williams

Hi Cat,

Janome informed me earlier this week that the 15000 is definitely retired/discontinued.

Fiona

On Nov 19, 2021, at 3:13 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynne Dean

I noticed recently the 15000 is listed as ‘Discontinued’ on my dealers website in uk. Looking forward to see what’s new when it is launched.

Lynne

Shirley F

I am new here also and just got a “new to me” 15000 a month ago, so I’m no expert.  However, I have been in touch with Janome via email (through their website) to ensure that my software was up to date.  Here is what I was able to determine about software for it.
15000 machine itself- the most current update is 3.0
The HorizonLinkSuite (software for your computer to send patterns etc to your 15000)-the most current update is 1.31
I had been confused as I assumed that both versions would be the same (they’re not) and the Janome website has a post showing a HLS upgrade to 2.11 but was told it was not for my machine.
If the machine is retired then that signals to me that the upgrades will cease from here on.  If someone else has further information about this I’d be interested in your comments.

Pixey

While it is true that updates will cease once a machine is retired, that really is not a major issue of concern near term.  Unlike computer software and operating systems, the machines and basic Horizon Link software did not get updated frequently.  In my experience, we usually see a couple of updates for bug fixes in the first year to 18 months and then nothing for the remainder of the life of the machine.

One thing that occurs to me that may be curious on the 15000 retirement is whether it will bleed over to the S9 (which was basically a miniaturized version of the 15000 for netter portability).

Finally, you mentioned your 15000 was “new to you”.  Just because a machine has been retired, does not immediately make it obsolete.  I have several long retired machines and they still sew wonderfully.

Pixey

On Nov 20, 2021, at 10:03 AM, Shirley F <sfigley@...> wrote:

I am new here also and just got a “new to me” 15000 a month ago, so I’m no expert.  However, I have been in touch with Janome via email (through their website) to ensure that my software was up to date.  Here is what I was able to determine about software for it.
15000 machine itself- the most current update is 3.0
The HorizonLinkSuite (software for your computer to send patterns etc to your 15000)-the most current update is 1.31
I had been confused as I assumed that both versions would be the same (they’re not) and the Janome website has a post showing a HLS upgrade to 2.11 but was told it was not for my machine.
If the machine is retired then that signals to me that the upgrades will cease from here on.  If someone else has further information about this I’d be interested in your comments.

Helen Aarness

Thank you, Pixie, for the bright outlook. I personally just retired, and I don’t think I am obsolete! Haha

On Nov 20, 2021, at 2:57 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, the 15000 is not discontinued yet. There are a lot of these machines in Japan and in the US. If you go to the Japanese website, the 15000 is very well alive and kicking as we say lol. However, there are no new 15000 being made, since Janome has a new machine in the wings. The new machines are basically sitting on the factory unfinished, due to (1) labor shortages; & (2) chip shortage that COVID has created. Based on what I am hearing we are looking at 2023 to launch the machines. Myself, I got a 14000 and a M7 to tie me over. Depending on what they offer on the new machine, no idea about the name, I will see. However, I don't usually buy the first version of a TOL, since they usually come within a year with a newer version that has worked out the issues. God willing, if anybody is looking for a Janome TOL, I would say earliest opportunity would be 2024/2025 to get one.

Cat - N

I agree...not a major concern...enjoy your new machine.  It's most likely got a long future with you.  My Kenmore (made by Janome) that I purchased in January 1994 still works perfectly.  It's definitely discontinued.  My 11000 was about 10 years old when I got it, was "discontinued" having been 'replaced' by first the 12000, then the 15000, but I updated it to v.3...the highest update for it...in 2015 and it still works perfectly.  My 15000, v.2 at manufacture, which I purchased in 2016, has been updated to v.3, and will be here for quite some time, too.

Enjoy your machine!  It's a really great machine!

- Cat

[...]

LOL...my grandkids and great-grandkid don't think I'm obsolete either.  Enjoy your retirement.  If it's anything like mine, you will wonder how you had time to go to work every day.

- Cat (FL)

[...]

favymtz

Re “retired” machines
If I recall correctly, Historically this also meant that they could now be sold and shipped across state lines. Current models cannot be sold this way.
We also used to refer to these retired machines as “internet models “.

Favymtz

--
Favymtz

Fiona Williams

Not making them anymore means discontinued.

On Nov 20, 2021, at 8:45 PM, atheodossis@... wrote:

[...]

Cheryl Paul

If there is a “chip” shortage, it will be difficult to make any of the TOL machines as they all require them. We are maybe focusing to much on the ‘retired” status of any machine in these times as who really knows for sure. Even the dealers only know sometimes what “we” tell them and I’ve heard from some locally one piece of information and a totally different thought from another. We one time had 2 dealers right in our little city of Saskatoon. One did embroidery design stuff for Janome and the other had a service technician who was a friend of the Manager of machine technicians in Canada. Our Janome Club made friends with the Janome our Janome Educator - she would tell us what she could but they are not allowed to tell us exactly “what we’d like to hear” as it is confidential and they wouldn’t be working long for the company IF they let us in on the information before it is released to the public. She would however, say that there would be very nice surprises.

Now we all know that in Canada, the 15000 launch parties started on October 1, 2013 - ours was the evening before and I took my machine home that night minus the embroidery attachment which was in another box and not unpacked from shipping yet at the store. So my machine is has been in my sewing room for just over 8 years. I know just from experience that we are DUE for a new machine - what it will be is a mystery, but I suspect that it will have many of the feature plus embroidery as the Continental M7 Professional. My curiosity is “how will they attach the embroidery unit this time - will it be made to be an “open” arm machine?” You see how our imaginations can take us.

I’m off to church now.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Lyn Quine

But at least 2 of the contributors to this thread have been told by Janome that it’s discontinued, not a dealer. I think we can believe it if Janome have said it and I have it in writing as well.

It might not be on the retired list yet because things are a mess worldwide with everything not just Janome machines, it might be on someone’s to do list somewhere. Dealers may well have demo machines that they will be selling off around the world.

The 15000 is no longer on the Janome UK website for sale, and apart from demo machines, that a dealer has, ALL Janome machines either direct to the customer or on occasion to the dealer for collection, from Janome usually by DPD, in the UK.