Repair a Black Broken Hoop Locking Knob?

Cat - N

My friend has a Janome 14000 and was doing a fairly simple ITH appliqué on a t-shirt for her grandson. When she was attaching the hoop to the embroidery arm, the black, plastic, ‘locking knob’ broke off. She switched to a different hoop to complete the project, but would like to get the knob replaced. Is that possible or is she looking at buying a whole new hoop?

Thank you!

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Jim Stutsman

It's very doubtful that it's available to Janome dealers as a replacement part, though she could ask. It's also not a simple matter of switching out the knob, as the way it's attached could be tricky to work with. I looked at this once, and gave up on it. A new hoop will be pricey, so she might want to check eBay and Craig's List first.

Cat - N

Thank you, Jim. I will let her know.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Cat - N

Update on my friend's hoop issue...because if it happened to her, it might happen again to someone else (probably me...LOL)

She contacted a Janome/Elna dealer near her about replacing the broken hoop, and, having heard from my friend what happened, he told her if she had all the parts, he would see about putting it back together, so she took all the pieces to him so he could have a look.  Turned out, it was NOT the 'black plastic locking knob' that broke but "the screw that slides into the embroidery arm" that broke (in half).  As he asked, she called the dealer she bought her 14000 from (in another State) and they are shipping her the screw (approx. $10) for her SQ23 hoop.  When it arrives, the 'closer-to-her' dealer says he can/will fix it.  I haven't seen the 'hoop carnage' (she lives 45 min. to 1 hour from me), so the descriptions are hers...not mine...LOL.

Thank you so much for your help, Jim!  She greatly appreciated it, and the time you took to provide the information, and requested I extend her thanks to you for your help as well!

- Cat (FL)

Kathy Skagen

Thanks for the update, Cat! I'm so glad that it turned out so well for her. And she has 2 very nice dealers!
Kathy