Topics

Regarding Spam (not the canned meat!) and login

onlinesewing@...

I have been alerted by a good friend who is constantly watching my back (Thanks PG!) of a potential problem involving email spam. Most, if not all, of us have software in place to prevent spam from reaching our Inbox. That's great, but those defenses can sometimes get aggressive and throw wanted email into the spam bucket. They may also report the sender as a spammer. If you have not configured your email to treat messages from onlinesewing-janome@... as "not Spam", you should do so. Usually that just means entering the email address in your Contacts list. Some mail clients will also let you click an email and flag it as not Spam. If you ever accidentally click on a message from this list, or any other "chat" list on groups.io, Yahoo, or other service, to tag it as Spam you will immediately be unsubscribed from the list. For an explanation of that, see this post. Depending on your ISP, flagging a message from groups.io could also cause it to be blacklisted. That would block all users on that ISP from getting messages from groups.io. Too many spam posts and the entire group could get chucked from this service. Spam is a huge problem for everyone. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just asking that you check your spam folder and delete any messages from groups.io. If you find even one, double check to make sure you have whitelisted it with your email software. 

Another thing to be aware of is login. If you do not log into this group at least once a month, or you have never logged in, you may find that you are unable to access any of the various list features. Click the "Send a Link" button and you will be emailed a link to create a password for the group. At that point you will have full access.

Ceil J

Okay, my eyes aren't what they were years ago, but that said, I find no "send a link" button.  When I look at the login area it shows my email address but no password.  Do I need to change this?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM, <onlinesewing@...> wrote:
I have been alerted by a good friend who is constantly watching my back (Thanks PG!) of a potential problem involving email spam. Most, if not all, of us have software in place to prevent spam from reaching our Inbox. That's great, but those defenses can sometimes get aggressive and throw wanted email into the spam bucket. They may also report the sender as a spammer. If you have not configured your email to treat messages from onlinesewing-janome@... as "not Spam", you should do so. Usually that just means entering the email address in your Contacts list. Some mail clients will also let you click an email and flag it as not Spam. If you ever accidentally click on a message from this list, or any other "chat" list on groups.io, Yahoo, or other service, to tag it as Spam you will immediately be unsubscribed from the list. For an explanation of that, see this post. Depending on your ISP, flagging a message from groups.io could also cause it to be blacklisted. That would block all users on that ISP from getting messages from groups.io. Too many spam posts and the entire group could get chucked from this service. Spam is a huge problem for everyone. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just asking that you check your spam folder and delete any messages from groups.io. If you find even one, double check to make sure you have whitelisted it with your email software. 

Another thing to be aware of is login. If you do not log into this group at least once a month, or you have never logged in, you may find that you are unable to access any of the various list features. Click the "Send a Link" button and you will be emailed a link to create a password for the group. At that point you will have full access.

onlinesewing@...

No, not a problem at all. You're logged in, so there is no button. To clarify, this only happens if you have NEVER logged in or have not done so in more than a month.

Ceil J

Thank you.