Ready to Toss this out the window!!!

Kathy Strabel

Hello Group---  I am speaking about the narrow VD foot (AccuFeed)  that I use on my Skyline 7.  I am doing the quilting on a lap size quilt  with this single-wide foot, not the wide one, and almost every time I cross a seam, the hook pops out of the place that holds the hook/foot in place.  My quilt is ordinary quilting cotton, back and top, with a layer of low loft and not very dense poly batting. In other words, it is not heavy or thick in any way.  I am not hitting any pins, the needle is in tight, ,all my seams are pressed to one side, I have the quilt bunched-up as I stitch to prevent gravity from pulling on it as I sew. I am using a regular poly thread and a sharps needle with a large eye, like a topstitch needle., in size 12.   I have written to this group before about this problem, and someone suggested that I lower the foot pressure---which I do now, every time I stitch, whether I am quilting or regular sewing on a garment or other item.  I plan to ask my dealer if it is possible for them to permanently decrease the default foot pressure  the next time I take it in.  But that does not solve the problem of today. It is Sooooooooo frustrating to have that hook pop off every few minutes. I am not even sewing very fast. maybe about 1/3 of the maximum.   So, does anyone have any suggestions about this--other than the usual 'take it in to the dealer'. ??   I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions to try before I having to take it in.   Is this a problem with the foot itself, the machine, or a setting I am missing?  The foot appears to be in perfect condition, not nicked, bent or anything, and attaches well to the ankle.  I am giving as much information as I can think of.....   I rarely ever use the wider AccuFeed foot because it is just too wide, hard to see what I am sewing, etc.   The quilt stitching I am doing today is just straight lines, nothing freehand.    Thank you in advance!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Darren Potton

When you attach the foot and tighten the screw make sure you lower the presser foot and tighten the screw again, I have problems if I don’t do that but none when I do .

Darren.

On 30 Oct 2020, at 21:57, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

blue_lak

I don't think there's anything wrong with the foot. Because it's narrow, it only uses the 3 smaller, inside feed dogs. Needless to say, it's not compressing or moving as large a surface as the larger foot, somewhat like using a knife instead of a spatula to spread icing on a cake. I tried using mine once for assembling a quilt top so I'd have better visibility at joints. The stitching was very uneven at the joints and harder to keep in a straight line. When quilting, I use the full size Accufeed but with the open toe foot attached. I can see pretty much everything with that.
Jan

blue_lak

This is the open toe Accufeed Flex foot I mentioned in my other post. Other than increasing foot pressure to the max, I don't know of anything else you can try using the narrow flex foot.
Janome AcuFeed Open Toe Satin Stitch Foot for 9mm Machines
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-acufeed-open-toe-satin-stitch-foot-for-9mm-machines/
Jan

Cheryl Paul

Kathy, I know the frustration of the “hook thing” popping out when stitching with the Acufeed flex foot. There is an “open toe” foot plate for the wide acufeed flex - have you got one. I do but I have the Skyline S9 and a 15000 and it probably was included in the “extras” that come with the 15000 as it is a lot more money to buy. It is definitely worth having and does increase the visibility when stitching using the wide foot - this might help the problem you are having. My thoughts are that the “VD” narrow foot might just be narrow enough that something catches the hook and it pops out - this is just a guess as we haven’t got eyes that see behind the machine as it is sewing to discover what is actually happening back there. I’m not sure that your dealer could tell you what’s going on, unless they’ve had many complaints and discovered what may be “the problem”. There is also a possibility that the hook is loose or not working as it should. Your dealer may let you try a new foot to see if the problem solves itself with a new one to return if it doesn’t. I know that these feet are quite a bit more expensive than the standard feet with that have no frills attached to them ie: the “A” foot. I managed to permanently bend the plastic that the metal clips attach to this “VD” foot and had to buy a whole new foot as they didn’t just sell the ankle, so now I have 2 “soles” for the foot - that’s how I know that the cost is about $70 for the whole mechanism (5 years ago).

Give the wide foot a try and see if that helps - let us know one way or the other on how you make out.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

I know the ‘hook popping out using the narrow foot and holder’ thing, too, Kathy, and it’s annoying and very frustrating because the fabric isn’t being pulled through properly because the ‘grabber finger’ is grabbing air while the needle jumps up and down.  I rarely use the ‘regular’ narrow foot on the narrow holder attachment for that reason but I have a 15000 so can use the HP2 instead.  But I was terribly irked using that combo and trying to sew organza several years ago!

I do use the zipper foot on the narrow holder and have a lot fewer issues with that combo, but I am generally using that combo when sewing binding or top-stitching about 1/8” from the edge after turning something right side out.  Not sure what, if anything, that might mean.

I ‘have’ gotten the narrow foot to work ‘better’ by removing it completely and reinstalling it...might have lowered the presser foot while reinstalling, but I did that well over a year ago so can’t remember for sure...but I do recall (I think) holding that hook firmly with one hand while tightening the attachment screw. Again, not sure if that means anything or if I just got ‘Lady Luck’ to help me one time...lol

But, I got the HP2 in early 2019, and have only used the narrow holder with the zipper foot since then, and it ‘seems’ to work much better. I do love it for 1/4” seaming.

- Cat (FL)

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Lyn Quine

I have had this happen on my 12000 and 15000, it’s going over the seams, it’s a long foot, and tips up, the front gets to the seam and it goes up, but nothing to bring it down until the back clears the seam, and that somehow pops the hook,  I’ve had he same with the wider foot too but not so much and I think that’s because it’s wider and the span clears the seam.  Not sure what can be done, except it isn’t so much of a problem with the HP2 foot, same set up, narrow but for some reason it doesn’t happen, I wonder if it’s the needle position and in relation to the dogs.

Kathy Strabel

Hello Group---THanks to all who replied with sympathy and suggestions with the hook popping out while I sew with the narrow AccuFeed foot. It is nice to know that others have dealt with this problem. I would think that Janome would come up with a solution for this very frustrating problem but so far I have not heard anything about a fix or a "cure" for it. Looks like we sew-ers just have to adapt. For a while, I was using a piece of Gorilla Tape (extra sticky) across the slot where the hook gets inserted, to hold the hook in. That was somewhat successful, but I think Janome could do much better with this known problem.  I did try the wider, regular AccuFeed foot and it does work better because it has those two additional fabric "grabbers" that advance the fabric from the sides in addition to the larger one that advances the fabric from the middle of the foot. But that wider foot is so "clunky"--for lack of a better word.  THanks again to all who replied, and all those who have been frustrated like I have, with this annoying problem.
Happy Stitching!  Kathy S.

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

favymtz

The main thing to remember is that not all feet are good for all purposes.
The narrow Acuflex feet are for more delicate sewing where we aren't trying to feed heavy loads through the machine, and the wider Acuflex feet are built for more robust sewing.

--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

Kathy, I don’t think this is a big problem, just some have had the problem - those are the only ones we hear about, not the happy campers. I can say that I haven’t had any issues for a long time and I still have my 15000 which is now 7 years. I haven’t done any heavy duty things like “quilting quilts” I just make the tops for the most part. My Continental M7 which I got a year ago is my “go to” machine and it only popped the hook once and that was because I hadn’t engaged it properly. However, having said that I love the HP2 system and really am unhappy when I have to change it to do decorative stitching - it just works so well, that I sometimes think I just might only ever straight stitch - I love it (HP2 foot that is).

When I was having the issue and this was a while ago, I used to make a habit of checking to see if the hook was still in place. It got to be a habit, one I’m sure I didn’t need to have, but it gave me comfort to know that the hook was where it was suppose to be and place it correctly if it wasn’t. After all your hand might be close just in guiding your fabric that it wouldn’t be a big effort to do that little check every so often. It would definitely help in lowering the frustration level and your blood pressure at the same time.

Cheryl - Saskatoon