From: Janet Gronski <jmgronski76@...>
Date: 1/12/22 8:37 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Ready to Exchange

I am SO frustrated! I bought a brand new Janome 15000 three years ago. I loved it the first 13 months. Since then, I've had continuous problems. It has had to be shipped to New Jersey factory twice, because the local dealer can't fix the problem.  I would be in the middle of an embroidery project when the bobbin case jumped out of it's spot. I filed down where the needle struck the case to get the nick out and changed needles. The machine would sew a short time,  and then do it again. When I finally got my machine back, it worked a short time, then the same problem started again. This last time, a bird's nest gathered underneath my project-- 3 minutes left to sew on a 2 hour project. The machine froze. Once again, our local dealer cannot fix whatever the problem is this time.  It takes at least 2-3 months to get my machine back. My dealer has been very kind and understanding.  He let me borrow one from his store so at least I have something to sew with. Guess what! It did the same darn thing! My dealer ensures me that it isn't anthing I am doing wrong. Does anyone else have this problem? I want to  exchange my Janome for another brand. However, I have a lot of money tied into this machine - the initial cost, and shipping it to the factory, not to mention all the money I've spent on patterns. Help!!
I feel like Janome should give me a new machine. Am I wrong? Janet

Pam Davison

I wonder is it something that you're doing that you may not be aware of. I say this because I had a 6 needle embroidery machine and the thread continued to break. I took it to the dealer had it service the dealer said there was nothing wrong but I continued to have the problem.

I went to a different dealer explaining the issue that I was having and the other dealer immediately told me what the issue was and how to fix it.   It was something as simple as simple as winding the the thread around the tension disk twice instead of once.  Once I did that I never had the problem again.   Also the dealer I took it to was not the manufacturer of the machine but I but I knew the dealer  Head experience fixing many makes and models of machines.

It's great that you have a nice dealer but if you have a dealer that can't fix your machine you may want to try a different dealer.

From: Janet Gronski <jmgronski76@...>
Date: 1/12/22 8:37 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io

[...]

Jim Stutsman

It took me a couple of years to diagnose this problem, which was happening well before the 15000, on the 9000 and subsequently the 11000. There are two stages to the problem. It starts with the bird nest on the bottom, which many can identify with. That happens because the stitches going around the bobbin are not being pulled up tight. New owners often have the problem because the thread does not actually enter the eye of the take-up lever, whose job it is to pull up the stitch. There's a little clip on that piece that is supposed to prevent the thread coming out. If you thread quickly you may not notice that the thread didn't get past the clip, and instead just slid down to the back of the lever. It looks fine, but will jam very early in sewing. Sometimes the thread will loop over the top of the lever, and snap into the clip. This causes the thread to become OUT of the lever, and again trouble happens. This is all more or less normal, and we've all had the problem at one time or another.

What happens during the creation of the bird nest is the critical bit. Usually it's nothing, you can stop sewing, fix it, and move on. However if enough loops pile up under the bobbin case, it will be lifted up to the point of spinning past the stopper that's supposed to prevent that. This usually brings the needle down into the case, punching a hole or breaking off. That's bad enough, but sometimes the needle will deflect enough to hit the hook race, with is the round metal "basket" that the bobbin case rides on. Because a magnet is used to hold the bobbin case in position, that part is aluminum. If the needle hits it, a burr will be raised. Sometimes a chunk will be taken out of the edge. In either case, even if the bobbin case is replaced, stitches will tend to catch on the burr. If they don't get freed early enough in the cycle, they won't pull up and another nest will form. That, in turn, can cause additional damage.

Once I realized what was happening, I asked Janome to make something that could buff out the burrs on the hook race. They created a tool, part # OILSTONE. It's basically a round ceramic stone sized to fit the hook race. A technician can use it to smooth out minor nicks and scratches, but in severe cases the hook race itself should be changed. I retired from selling machines in 2011, but up until then this problem was not addressed in dealer training. Most dealers never look at the hook race in doing a service. Once I was aware of the problem, I started inspecting the hook race on every machine that came in. That saved me a lot of headaches by preventing trouble before it happened.

Sending the machine back to Janome is not necessary, and I'm not altogether confident they would correct the problem. With a small staff, lots of machines to service, they don't have time to do much more than replace broken parts, do a short test sew, and send it back. Instead ask your dealer to do this:
1. Order the part OILSTONE. It will be a big help to him or her.
2. Order a new hook race and bobbin case stopper. The bobbin case itself should be in stock, but it too should be replaced.
3. Replace the hook race. It's a bit fiddly the first time, but can be done without re-timing the machine.
4. If the bobbin case stopper shows signs of having a bent spring, replace it. Be VERY careful to adjust it so that it goes far enough toward the back of the machine to stop the case, while just allowing the thread to clear.

That should get your machine going again. If it's frozen, as in not turning, it is likely due to the hook being embedded in the bobbin case. Turning the wheel backward a bit usually pulls it free. Then you can remove the needle plate and bobbin case. With those out the wheel should turn freely. If the machine doesn't turn on, it likely blew a fuse. That's rare enough that a replacement probably is not in stock. But dealer parts orders usually can take no more than a week or two, which is MUCH faster than a shipped machine turn-around. Once you are going again, take care to make certain that the thread enters the take-up lever properly. When you are embroidering, be especially mindful of the design and the needle. If a design has a lot of tiny stitches, commonly used for outlines, a size 14 needle can cause serious trouble. Size 14 means 1.4mm in diameter. If a stitch has a length of 1mm you will have multiple stitches going through the same hole and that will create a bird nest. For very short stitches try to use the smallest needle possible, and consider 60wt thread instead of the usual 40wt.

You can print this response and take it to your dealer with the machine. Some dealers will already know, or will welcome it. Others may take it as an insult to their skills from some old buzzard who isn't even in the business any more. A plate of brownies brought in with the machine may improve your odds in such cases. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Kathy Strabel

Virginia-- (and Janet)--Did you mean to say that prewound bobbins that are NOT Janome brand.....can cause the problems that Janet is having?

   I feel Janet's pain. I have had a similar problem, but with my MC500e machine. My bobbin would jump all over the place and make a terrible racket. I took it to the dealer and it would work for a short time, then the same thing would return---jumping bobbin, bird nests,etc. I was at the end of my patience with the dealer and Janome in general. However, the last time I took it in, the store owner sat my machine next to their floor model and compared the two machines, piece by piece. It turned out that my machine was actually lacking some obscure part which I believe is called the bobbin stop or stopper. He took the piece off of their floor model and put it on my machine and it has been good ever since. I assume they ordered a new piece for their floor model.  With an abundance of caution, I replaced all of my bobbins with Jenuine Janome brand, the ones with the rubber additive in the plastic that makes them more stable. I even ordered some pink ones, reserving those exclusively for my embroidery machine. The others are for my Janome Skyline 7, which is sew-only, no embroidery. I also bought a spool of Janome brand bobbin thread. Personally, I thought that thread looked a bit "linty" but it did a good job. I also have used Bottom Line bobbin thread with great success in these new Janome brand bobbins. I like to have LOTS of bobbins, so I ordered a bag of 25 of them for a very economical price from a place that has the word "Pocono" in its name. Pocono Sewing Supplies or something like that. I am not sure where I bought the Janome bobbin thread, maybe at the same place as the bobbins.  The genuine Janome bobbins have a "J" stamped into the core of each bobbin. You can tell if they are the newer, rubberized ones by tapping one on a front tooth (!!)---the non-rubberized ones make a sharper, crisper sound, the rubberized ones make a sound that is a bit duller and "softer". There is also a slightly different "feel" in your fingers between the two bobbin types. HArd to explain that one, but you will be able to discern the two.  My experience has been that once that "stopper" thing was installed and the changeover to the genuine, rubberized bobbins, I have had smooth sailing. I hope this solves your headache.

If it does not, then yes, I would persue something with Janome--if neither their dealer nor the repair depot mechanics can fix it, they should replace your "lemon" of a machine.Three years is too short of a life span  for a machine that costs thousands of dollars, especially if it has spent months just in transit to and from the service depot.

Good luck to you and let the Group know how this turns out for you.

Kathy Strabel   Camas WA   USA

From: Janet Gronski <jmgronski76@...>
Date: 1/12/22 8:37 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io

[...]

Virginia

Yes. Janome brand bobbins and needles made by Organ which are also acceptable.

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

Fran

I had the exact problem 3 years after buying my Janome 15000 and had it at the dealers 3-4 times in as many months. Now it skips stitches unless I have the HP foot and faceplate on. So far I’ve replaced the regular faceplate, bobbin case and foot peddle. Like you, if I didn’t have as much money tied up in the machine, I’d trade it. Many people on the Facebook Janome site have similar issues with this machine.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Trina Moss

I just had to add my two cents. I have the 15000 and have not had any issues at all with this  wonderful machine. I’m so sorry you have to go through this.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Fran via groups.io <fmattice4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had the exact problem 3 years after buying my Janome 15000 and had it at the dealers 3-4 times in as many months. Now it skips stitches unless I have the HP foot and faceplate on. So far I’ve replaced the regular faceplate, bobbin case and foot peddle. Like you, if I didn’t have as much money tied up in the machine, I’d trade it. Many people on the Facebook Janome site have similar issues with this machine.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Helen Aarness

I too won the “everything works great” lottery when I got my 15000. The automatic threader even worked …. until I had it updated to the quilt maker version. I’m so sorry that others have troubling machines. They cost so much money, they shouldn’t cost frustration too. I have retired, and I doubt I will chance spending a huge amount of money on another new Janome machine that may or may not work. It’s a loss to change brands and start the learning curve and investment over, but IMHO, it would be far worse to buy a lemon.

On Jan 12, 2022, at 8:31 AM, Trina Moss <tortuga465@...> wrote:

I just had to add my two cents. I have the 15000 and have not had any issues at all with this  wonderful machine. I’m so sorry you have to go through this.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Fran via groups.io <fmattice4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had the exact problem 3 years after buying my Janome 15000 and had it at the dealers 3-4 times in as many months. Now it skips stitches unless I have the HP foot and faceplate on. So far I’ve replaced the regular faceplate, bobbin case and foot peddle. Like you, if I didn’t have as much money tied up in the machine, I’d trade it. Many people on the Facebook Janome site have similar issues with this machine.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Janet Gronski

I am using the yellow dot bobbin case. I buy all my thread from the dealer. I wind my own bobbins with the thread he sells me. He is the only dealer anywhere close. He's been in business over 30 years selling Janomes, but he fixes all brands. I'll try buying some Janome prewound bobbins to see if that works. Thank you.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, 6:45 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Katie Templeton <quiltingkatie60@...>

I have also had this problem, and the machine was sent to Janome a couple of years ago.
Katie

On Jan 12, 2022, at 6:37 AM, Janet Gronski <jmgronski76@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your help. I made a copy and will take it in when I return this borrowed machine. I tried one last time to ensure I threaded properly.  It sewed about 100 stitches, then jammed again. Will keep you posted.  Janet

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, 7:12 AM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Was it fixed? Have you had any more problems?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, 4:09 PM Katie Templeton <quiltingkatie60@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim,

Thank you so much for this information and for everything you do. This is extremely helpful. I have printed your postings, brought them to my dealer with no success. I will definitely bring brownies next time.

The size 14 needle instructions are very helpful.

My son in law attached the magnets to wood per Diane’s picture and it takes half the time to do quilts.  I made a frame with a garment rack on wheels, bungee cords and clamps. No more popped magnets or dragged quilts. Thank you, Diane.

Katie Templeton <quiltingkatie60@...>

They put some new parts in the machine, but It still has issues. I have an insurance policy on the machine through my dealer for another 3.5 years. They will have to replace anything that breaks, but I always feel very unsure when using the machine. I have an older Baby Lock that has never given me problems, and I use all the time.
Katie

On Jan 12, 2022, at 4:59 PM, Janet Gronski <jmgronski76@...> wrote:

[...]

Shirley Allen

Would love to see how you used the garmet racks. Shirley

On 1/12/2022 7:36:39 PM, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Jim,

Thank you so much for this information and for everything you do. This is extremely helpful. I have printed your postings, brought them to my dealer with no success. I will definitely bring brownies next time.

The size 14 needle instructions are very helpful.

My son in law attached the magnets to wood per Diane’s picture and it takes half the time to do quilts.  I made a frame with a garment rack on wheels, bungee cords and clamps. No more popped magnets or dragged quilts. Thank you, Diane.

Kris Tingley

Where would I find the picture of how to attatch the magnets.   I would like to try this.  Thanks for the help

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 08:02:02 PM CST, Shirley Allen <sowhat1935@...> wrote:

Would love to see how you used the garmet racks. Shirley

On 1/12/2022 7:36:39 PM, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Jim,

Thank you so much for this information and for everything you do. This is extremely helpful. I have printed your postings, brought them to my dealer with no success. I will definitely bring brownies next time.

The size 14 needle instructions are very helpful.

My son in law attached the magnets to wood per Diane’s picture and it takes half the time to do quilts.  I made a frame with a garment rack on wheels, bungee cords and clamps. No more popped magnets or dragged quilts. Thank you, Diane.

Fran

Diane has a video on how she put the magnets on wood and how they’re placed on a hoop.

The garment rack with the bungee cords is my version of the weightless frames. It keeps the quilt off the floor and easily moves as I work.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Janet Gronski

Jim, I was wondering,  if the hook race is damaged while embroidering,  wouldn't it also effect the red bobbin case while just sewing? I have no trouble when I'm in the sewing mode. Just curious. Janet