reading a USB?

Joyce Daniel

Is there a chart somewhere that tells what the max that a USB can read on a Janome machine ?

I have a 350. I have a USB with 6 designs that do not “load” on the machine. Wondering if the stitch count is too much?

TIA! Joyce

Happiness cannot be traveled to,

owned, earned, or worn.

It is the spiritual experience of living

every minute with love, grace & gratitude.”

and giving full credit for blessings from our Lord

- Denis Waitley

**All lives matter to God, and should also, to each of us.

Lyn Quine

what size is the USB, they recommend no bigger than 2GB  SSH don’t tell anyone but I have used put to 8GB but on with a few designs on it, the machine doesn’t have the brain of a computer, if it’s too big or too many designs on the USB it will be very slow to open.  The machine has to read all the designs in the Mu Design folder before showing them.

Did you format the USB on the machine before loading the designs? If you did, have you placed the designs in the folder called my designs, is the design file in there or is it in a folder in the My Design folder?  The machine won’t read a design if it’s to big for the selected hoop, the stitch count is too high, not the right format or if a stitch or stitches are outside the stitch area of the hoop.

lots of questions sorry but there’s more than one reason why a machine doesn’t read files.

Joyce Daniel

Thanks for the info. The USB I’m trying to us is 1 GB and the 6 designs are all in the correct folder. The stick was formatted for the 350 and my 12000. They show up on my computer but do not show up on the 350 screen. (Didn’t try the 12000 as they are all 5x7 designs and its easier on the 350) I transferred the designs from the 1 GB stick to the 512M USB I usually use, and they still do not show up on the 350 screen, so I’m thinking, too many stitches. Which is what I’m wondering…..what is the max # of stitches the Janomes machines can handle? Is there a chart somewhere? I’m going to try one design loaded on the stick, at a time as they each have a high stitch count. Just never had this before.

Confused in GA - Joyce

“All you have shall some day be given;

Therefore, give now, that the season

of giving may be yours, and not

of your inheritors.”

Kahill Gibran

Jim Stutsman

Your problem is due to your machines looking for designs in different places. On the 12000 designs are stored in folders inside the EMB master folder. However the 350E, as a descendant of the 10000, used EmbF5 as the master folder, with designs being stored in subfolder within that. The default folder on the 12000 is EMB\EmbF. On the 350E it's EmbF5\MyDesign. Since your USB stick is 1GB you could just put designs in both folders to make it work on both machines.

Cheryl Paul

On a 350E embroidery machine you can use a 2GB USB but whatever you do don’t put lots of designs on it. The processor in our embroidery machines isn’t very powerful as it doesn’t need to be to do the job. Remember to format the USB in your 350 before you use it and that you put your designs in the correct folder. I never had a 350E machine so I’m not sure of the folder names but I do know that the first folder is EMB and the next one will be My Designs, or embf, but you can create one with a name you choose up to 8 letters or numbers and your designs must be in JEF format for the machine to be able to read them.

I know that some use larger memory USB’s and they work, but I don’t recommend that. I also know that finding the small memory USB’s is difficult, but you may be able to find some on-line and hopefully at a very reasonable price.

I suggest that the USB you are using be re-formatted in your computer, BUT save any files you want to keep before you format or they will be lost forever. Once you do this format, put the USB into your 350 machine and it will apply the folders that are required to transfer/copy your designs into for stitching. Once you get this working, use it for stitching, but do file management so that you never get to many designs on the USB - 100 designs would be plenty or even more than I would want to manage in a device that I use for just embroidery.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

favymtz

The stitch limit for the Janome 300 is 64,000 stitches per design.
As has been commented on already, the design must be in the proper folder for the machine to access the design.
On the older machines it's also important to use the smaller capacity usb. In my experience it's not as important in the newer machines.
Use the size recommended for your machine, but I have used a 32g in my 15000 with no problems, but I don't put lots of stuff on the usb, because the more one there, the slower it will be to access.
I recently taught the beginner class and a student was working on an 11K, we couldn't get it to use a usb larger than the 8g.
I'm sure that the 300e is going to be similar.
--
Favymtz

favymtz

--
Favymtz

valora hammond

The stitch limit on the 12000 and the 350E is 100,000 stitches per file.

On Apr 5, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@sasktel.net> wrote:

[...]

Pixey

Joyce,
A couple of other things to check...

You asked about the number of stitches. The 350e has a stitch limit of 64,000.

Also, you mentioned they were 5x7 designs, you might verify that the designs are in the correct orientation to display (aka they fit into the hoop).  I have found that sometimes purchased designs need to be rotated on the computer (using editing software) before the machine can recognize it as fitting in the hoop.

As a test of this latter piece, try putting a smaller 4x4 design into the same location you were using on the USB (hopefully the EmbF>MyDesign folder) and see if it displays on the machine.  If the answer is yes, it displays fine, then your USB and file path are fine and it is going to be an issue with the specific larger design (either too many stitches or rotated).  A good way to test the rotation is to pull up the design on the 12000 and see which hoop it wants to use and how the design displays (horizontal or vertical).

Pixey

On Apr 4, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:

Is there a chart somewhere that tells what the max that a USB can read on a Janome machine ?

I have a 350. I have a USB with 6 designs that do not “load” on the machine. Wondering if the stitch count is too much?

TIA! Joyce

Happiness cannot be traveled to,

owned, earned, or worn.

It is the spiritual experience of living

every minute with love, grace & gratitude.”

and giving full credit for blessings from our Lord

- Denis Waitley

**All lives matter to God, and should also, to each of us.

Vikki Youngmeyer

I found 2GB AND 4GB in bulk on Amazon. Both sizes work equally well in all Janome embroidery machines that have a USB port. Remove the USB drive once you have opened the file and it is on the screen. That saves wear and tear on the USB drive.

Vikki
Houston, TX

Vikki Youngmeyer

The 350 machines used different named directories than what the later Janome models use. That’s why  designs don’t show on the 350e machines that do on the other machines. If you can remember the file directory names for the 350e, you can create empty folders with those names, and copy the .Jef files from the  12000directory into the newly created directories. The 350e only let you have a very minimum level of directory tree structure.

I can look up the names and procedure I used if you need it, just busy right now!

Vikki

Houston, TX

[...]

Sew ForIt

Hi everyone. I recently had an issue with not being able to get my files to show up on my 15000. I am kind of a newbie so this may be obvious to everyone else. The problem was that I didn’t have my machine in embroidery mode.

Joyce Daniel

Thanks a TON to all who answered with my question on how many stitches could go on a USB stick for my 350E. I finally dumped all the excess designs (10) and just put on the 5 designs I wanted to embroider and they show up like they’re suppose to. Just too much on the stick I guess. And the 5 do have a high stitch count each. Still not sure if it’s 64,000 stitches per design or total number of stitches combined. Just know I don’t have to load them one design at a time.

Now, back to making more facemasks……would rather be embroidering. J

Thanks again!! Joyce

“All you have shall some day be given;

Therefore, give now, that the season

of giving may be yours, and not

of your inheritors.”

Kahill Gibran

“Give” is my favorite 4-letter word

Ruth Dunn

The USB should be regarded as a bus to transfer designs from the computer to the machine. Once the design has reached it’s destination (been stitched out), it can be removed from the bus. Store all those designs on the computer in files, not on the USB. Your machine will love you for not overloading. One exception would be that designs used repeatedly can be left on the USB.

ccaseber <ccaseber@...>

I had this problem in the beginning. It was not the usb, it was the fact the machine opened too small a hoop and the design was bigger than the hoop the machine automatically opened so now I select the biggest hoop first, then open the design from the  usb and
go down to the size hoop that is the smallest size the design will fit on. Is this understandable?

DeeDee Bedard

sometimes it isn't the stitch count but the company that digitized it didn't get it in the hoop   opening it in digitizer or a good embroidery program will show you if the whole design fits in the hoop

On April 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:

Is there a chart somewhere that tells what the max that a USB can read on a Janome machine ?

I have a 350. I have a USB with 6 designs that do not “load” on the machine. Wondering if the stitch count is too much?

TIA! Joyce

Happiness cannot be traveled to,

owned, earned, or worn.

It is the spiritual experience of living

every minute with love, grace & gratitude.”

and giving full credit for blessings from our Lord

- Denis Waitley

**All lives matter to God, and should also, to each of us.

favymtz

The Stitch Limit is the absolute maximum amount of stitches PER DESIGN.
That means that if you were to do a combination of designs in a single hooping that the total number of stitches still has to be less than 64,000 on your machine.
Stitch Limit has nothing to do with how many designs you have on the usb, only how many stitches that can be embroidered at one time in one hooping.
Hope that this is making better sense to you!
--
Favymtz