Topics

Re To thread cutter

Shirley Allen

Jim,  I was completing a design when my machine kept stopping cutting the thread & doing it again & again.  I immediately stopped turned the machine off waited for a few minutes & tried again, it still kept stopping & cutting thread over & over.  I do not think the design had a problem, but think my cutter does.  Can I turn off the cutter & see if it works for the normal straight stitch & leave the design till I get my machine looked at?.  I know it is needed for a tune up, but not sure if vendor can take it.  My machine is the Elna 920 which is the same as the 14000.  I just do not want to add any problems to it.  Thanks Shirley in NJ  PS bobbin & needle were fine.

Jim Stutsman

Cutting the thread involves several separate operations all initiated by software. It's extremely unlikely that this is a malfunction. In the past I have seen this happen when a design has a lot of stitches, typically satin, that are longer than 1.27cm (about 1/2"). The machine treats them as jumps, and if cutting jump stitches is turned on it will do exactly what your machine is doing. Turn off jump cutting and the problem should go away.

Shirley Allen

Thank you Jim,  I will give it a try  Shirley

valora hammond

Was it doing a wide satin stitch? It might have thought that stitch was a jump stitch.  If it was a wide satin then turn off the cutter for that object.

On May 1, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Shirley Allen <sowhat1935@...> wrote:

Jim,  I was completing a design when my machine kept stopping cutting the thread & doing it again & again.  I immediately stopped turned the machine off waited for a few minutes & tried again, it still kept stopping & cutting thread over & over.  I do not think the design had a problem, but think my cutter does.  Can I turn off the cutter & see if it works for the normal straight stitch & leave the design till I get my machine looked at?.  I know it is needed for a tune up, but not sure if vendor can take it.  My machine is the Elna 920 which is the same as the 14000.  I just do not want to add any problems to it.  Thanks Shirley in NJ  PS bobbin & needle were fine.

HEATHER COWAN

Shirley:  Our 9 mm machines will not recognize an embroidery stitch that is wider than 9mm as a stitch and will treat it as a color stop.  This can happen if you enlarge a design or I have had it happen when converting a design from the original to a different format.  A great test would be to take your design and rename it “so you don’t wreck the original”.  Decrease the size by 20%.  Stitch out the area where it was cutting the stitches instead of sewing them.  You can just advance the design to the color you want and don’t waste time and thread stitching out the whole thing.  If this fixes your problem then you have a NEW problem.  What to do with the original design so those stitches are no wider than 9mm.  I can do this in my software but don’t know what you use so can’t advise.  Good luck ...... hope this is your problem as it’s better than a mechanical one.
Hugs
Heather

On May 1, 2020, at 6:53 PM, valora hammond via groups.io <SOITEACH@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Heather that was the problem, but I was able to fudge it & it worked out fine.  I turned the cutter off & went back over the problem area very carefully.  Yes, and so glad it was not my machine.

Shirley Allen

Yes, Valora it was & I turned the cutter off & was able to finish it  Thanks