Topics

Quilting question

Linda M Robertson

Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open. I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube. And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Judy Jackson

Hi Linda,
Pressing seams to the side was the way I was taught 20 plus years ago but just recently I have been taking part in an Accuquilt ‘quilt along’ and the lady designing the blocks suggests opening the seams. Particularly on blocks with a lot of seams as you don’t get so much bulk laying in the centre of a block. I feel there is no right or wrong procedures, whichever you are happier with on results.
Judy, Cornwall.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 at 21:04, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:
Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open.  I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube.   And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Mary Decker

I was taught to press to one side and towards the darker fabric.  It gives it more durability from pulling open.

J Fraker

I press to one side most of the time unless there's some unusual spot where it needs to be pressed open.  I find it much more difficult to match points if they are pressed open.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:
Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open.  I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube.   And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Helen Creamore <helencreamore@...>

I always press to the side and am careful that they alternate in direction.That makes it easy to lock seams and insures nice points.

On Mar 11, 2018, at 1:18 PM, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:

Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open. I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube. And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Janet

It depends on project and how many seams I have.  I let the project dictate what it needs.  :)

Janet

On Mar 12, 2018, at 2:15 AM, Judy Jackson <judyjackson282@...> wrote:

Hi Linda,
Pressing seams to the side was the way I was taught 20 plus years ago but just recently I have been taking part in an Accuquilt ‘quilt along’ and the lady designing the blocks suggests opening the seams. Particularly on blocks with a lot of seams as you don’t get so much bulk laying in the centre of a block. I feel there is no right or wrong procedures, whichever you are happier with on results.
Judy, Cornwall.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 at 21:04, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:
Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open.  I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube.   And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Sue Raabe

I have been using Leah Day’s methods.  I finally realized that it caused the least confusion to learn from one person!  I’m not an expert, and there are many reputable quilters with differing opinions.  Her explanations made sense to me, so I picked her as my “teacher “ 🙂

Linda M Robertson

I like her as well.   And yes there are so many opinions on quilting.   It gets very confusing at times.

On Mar 12, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...> wrote:

I have been using Leah Day’s methods.  I finally realized that it caused the least confusion to learn from one person!  I’m not an expert, and there are many reputable quilters with differing opinions.  Her explanations made sense to me, so I picked her as my “teacher “ 🙂

cas <cassweet@...>

How I press the seams depends on the pattern. I usually try to press to one
side. Sometimes it's impossible and you end up with a lot of bulk in one
place, then I try to press open or fan them.
Cas

Claire Schutz

Don't remember who said but there are different reasons for open or to one side depending on the pattern, Claire S.

On 3/11/2018 7:47 PM, J Fraker wrote:
I press to one side most of the time unless there's some unusual spot where it needs to be pressed open.  I find it much more difficult to match points if they are pressed open.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Linda M Robertson <lindamrobertson7@...> wrote:
Just wondering how you quilters deal with seams.
Press to one side or open.  I was watching a Stitch in the Ditch, Leah Day video on YouTube.   And she presses her seams open but also uses a shorter stitch length.

Linda

Joyce VanAtta

A lady in my quilt group said in order to really stitch in the ditch,
the seams should be pressed open in order to have a "ditch".
It makes sense when I think about it.
She did not mention anything about stitch length.

I made a half square triangle quilt and had a question about the bulk
in the seams.  Again, someone in class said she presses her seams
open then too.  I will have to try that next time.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what fabrics will make a
good ironing board cover??  My ironing board is very old, so
it is larger than the ones out there now, so none of those covers
will work.

Thanks,
Joyce

Shirley Bedard

when your seam is open you are stitching only on threads when they are closed you are stitching on fabric which will hold up longer

Crafty Quilters 13221 Hwy 98     Sebring, Fl 33876 863-658-2148 craftyquilters@...

On Monday, March 12, 2018, 5:17:33 PM EDT, Joyce VanAtta via Groups.Io <shesews4em@...> wrote:

A lady in my quilt group said in order to really stitch in the ditch,
the seams should be pressed open in order to have a "ditch".
It makes sense when I think about it.
She did not mention anything about stitch length.

I made a half square triangle quilt and had a question about the bulk
in the seams.  Again, someone in class said she presses her seams
open then too.  I will have to try that next time.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what fabrics will make a
good ironing board cover??  My ironing board is very old, so
it is larger than the ones out there now, so none of those covers
will work.

Thanks,
Joyce

Janet

Although my quilting in the ditch is kind of wonky. 🤔

Janet

On Mar 12, 2018, at 5:19 PM, Shirley Bedard via Groups.Io <craftyquilters@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree if I was only going to be quilting in the ditch. I would iron my seams not opened.

[...]

If you’re going to press your HSTs open you may want to use a very short stitch at the ends and extend it past the cloth a stitch or two.

I made an ironing board cover from ironing board fabric found in the specialty fabric aisle at Joann’s fabrics.  It’s gray and meant for ironing boards.  I put batting under it, and a pretty quilt fabric over it.  Mine is stapled underneath a very large board and can be removed to wash it.

Mine just got a makeover.  I guess hubby decided I needed a switch from the funkadelic fabric I had on there, with bright wavy blotches of every color.  He bought a sedate floral fabric which I also love.

It’s so funny.  The first time I pressed white cloth on it I thought the white was old and yellowed – in blotches.  I eventually realized it was the green of the fabric showing through.  Of course I washed the white fabric a couple of times first.

Cas

Linda Wunder

What if when “stitching in the ditch” with seams pressed open you used one of the decorative stitches like An S type which might look nice and also secure both sides equally. It might be a little wonky for some but I like to try different fun things rather than always play by the rules.

Narda Poulin

I have covered my ironing board a few times and i just use leftover cotton fabric from quilts. You can buy actual iron board covering ( the shiny grey stuff) I don’t know where though. I’m sure if you asked Google they would give you an answer.lol

Claire Schutz

I have made ironing board covers from heavy duty muslin. If I can find the name of the company which was in Oregon, they also had padding to go under it.  Its been over 25 yrs and they are still fine and yes, I do a lot of ironing even for clothes, tablecloths, etc. Should I find the name will let all know.  This is the best cover ever, worth the cost, Claire S.

On 3/12/2018 2:38 PM, Joyce VanAtta via Groups.Io wrote:
A lady in my quilt group said in order to really stitch in the ditch,
the seams should be pressed open in order to have a "ditch".
It makes sense when I think about it.
She did not mention anything about stitch length.

I made a half square triangle quilt and had a question about the bulk
in the seams.  Again, someone in class said she presses her seams
open then too.  I will have to try that next time.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what fabrics will make a
good ironing board cover??  My ironing board is very old, so
it is larger than the ones out there now, so none of those covers
will work.

Thanks,
Joyce

J Fraker

I used to watch Sewing With Nancy all the time, and she said never use that shiny gray stuff for an ironing board cover because it is sort of waterproof.  If you are using steam, you need a cover that is cotton so the excess steam that goes through the piece you are ironing will be absorbed into the cover and not leave a wet spot.  I have to say, I agree with this as I have tried it both ways.