From: Sherryl Doran via groups.io <crafttwoman@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 17, 2020 5:56 am
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] quilting on the 12000

So I have the 12000 and the Horizon software which includes quilting patterns. But I can't use them because the hoops I have including the GR and SQ 23 have those magnetic clips that are supposed to hold the fabric/material to the hoop. Of course, they do not as a sandwiched quilt is too thick for the clips to hold, especially at seams. Is there another way to use the machine, another hoop maybe, to actually quilt on it. As is the quilting software on the machine and in Horizon as well as some I purchased from Amazing Designs is pretty useless. I will soon be ready to quilt two queen-size quilts and have been looking at possible designs to use to quilt one block at a time.

Cat - N

There is a Janome Acufil Quilting Kit for the 12000 (and 14000) that will include the ASQ22 Magnetic quilting hoop, software, and  designs. I have seen quite a bit of variation in prices over time, but if you are interested, you can check with dealers/suppliers for prices and availability.  Acufil can be used for edge to edge (e2e) quilting, and also if you have ASQ22, there is a topper from Designs in Machine Embroidery (DIME) as well...or even ‘make your own’ if you are ‘handy’ or so inclined. The topper ‘may’ be ‘easier’ to use for large quilts than the Janome magnetic clamps...personal preference...the hoop does not need to be removed from the machine...just remove the topper and reposition the quilt. The topper only fits the ASQ22 magnetic quilting hoop.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Aug 17, 2020 at 9:23 AM, <Sherryl Doran via groups.io> wrote:

So I have the 12000 and the Horizon software which includes quilting patterns. But I can't use them because the hoops I have including the GR and SQ 23 have those magnetic clips that are supposed to hold the fabric/material to the hoop. Of course, they do not as a sandwiched quilt is too thick for the clips to hold, especially at seams. Is there another way to use the machine, another hoop maybe, to actually quilt on it. As is the quilting software on the machine and in Horizon as well as some I purchased from Amazing Designs is pretty useless. I will soon be ready to quilt two queen-size quilts and have been looking at possible designs to use to quilt one block at a time.

Sherryl Doran

Thanks for the video referral. I believe I have seen this or one like it before. This must be for very thin batting, because most of my quilts I make with two layers of batting and I am lucky if I can get one of those magnets to hold, let alone four or eight. And if I need to have the hoop plastic right where a seam happens to be I might as well forget it. I was just hoping there was some special trick or special equipment I needed to make it work.

Sherryl Doran

I think I have tried to use binder clips before but the hoop sides were not deep enough to allow the clips to hold. I may revisit that method though and see if I can make it work. Thanks.

Sherryl Doran

I have the ASQ22 hoop but haven't checked into a topper. I will look at that, thanks.

Nyssa Lanzafame

I have the topper from dime...but I will say I felt like I wanted more magnets with two layers of battinge would def. need the extra magnets they sell!

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM Sherryl Doran via groups.io <crafttwoman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the ASQ22 hoop but haven't checked into a topper. I will look at that, thanks.

Cheryl Paul

Hi Sherryl,

I think that 2 layers of quilt batting is way to much for any magnet to hold. I made a quilt for my 6 year old grandson when he was a wee baby. I had many seams on the top and decided to use a minky backing with a layer of 80/20 quilt batting. I also used the AQS22 hoop. I may have moved up to the 15000 by this time but I did purchase the AQS quilting system for my 12000 when I had that machine. Long story short, I did have the magnets pop off nearly every time, but not all of them. I would pop it back on and keep going. I only had one hooping that was a problem, but that didn’t show up and I couldn’t find it when the quilt was complete - I was going to try and take out the stitching and do it over. It was frustrating, but worth the effort. I don’t think I would have had such a problem IF I’d used a cotton backing. The quilt was just a throw size, much bigger than for a crib. I also did a “Musica” quilt for my son-in-law (he’s has a Masters degree in Trombone Performance) to use as a wall hanging in his music room at home. I don’t seem to remember it having any issues at all and it was quilted much the same way as little Archer’s was. Those are my only big experiences in quilting with my 15000, but I’d do it again, IF the spirit moved me to do so. Lately, I’ve been making much bigger quilts for granddaughters (I have 13 grands), so I’ve taken them out to a long-arm quilter. I will be trying something on a big one soon, as it is quite expensive to take them out.

You do need to invest in the Quilt Kit, if you plan to quilt on your 12000 - believe me when I say it is worth the investment. the cost would be about the same as using an outsider to long-arm the quilt. The process is not difficult once you get into a rhythm of moving the quilt without removing the hoop from the machine. My problem is getting all the sandwich together, to even start the process.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

maschwab

I also do quilting on my 15000 with the  AQS22 hoop using 80/20 batting - single layer. I usually only 'dress up plainer blocks with a quilting motif but as Cheryl says, it easier to leave the hoop attached and move the quilt. With cotton or flannel backing, the magnets take a bit force to attach, but usually work well. ( As I age, my hands seem less strong). If one pops off, it can be replaced fairly easily without damage to the design.
Margaret

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.

[...]

Thank you so much for your reply. 13 grands, wow! I have only 5 grandsons, no granddaughters (sigh!). By the AQS quilting system do you mean the Accu-fil or Horizonlink systems?

Claire Schutz

Some time ago there was a discussion about using fishing weights to hold down the hoop. Check old messages, Claire S

On 8/17/2020 4:22 PM, Sherryl Doran via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the video referral. I believe I have seen this or one like it before. This must be for very thin batting, because most of my quilts I make with two layers of batting and I am lucky if I can get one of those magnets to hold, let alone four or eight. And if I need to have the hoop plastic right where a seam happens to be I might as well forget it. I was just hoping there was some special trick or special equipment I needed to make it work.

favymtz

Without regurgitating the whole magnetic hoop topic!!!! The whole reason that the Stutsmans and myself have come up with our own versions of magnetic hoops is because the Acufil hoop (ASQ22) isn't strong enough to hold thick quilts for embroidery.
It's also my experience and opinion, that it's also absolutely asking too much of the hoop and it's magnets to expect it to hold a quilt with 2 layers of batting.

If a person uses digitizing skills and software and gets really good at it, the Acufil system can absolutely replace a long arm machine. BUT, the big BUT is, it takes skills!
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

Sherryl, I used the designs that are in the bunch that come on your sewing machine and also in Horizon Link Suite. There are quite a number of them - I saw no need to purchase others, however, I have done that too. I also digitized a “space ship” to re-quilt a purchased Stars Wars quilt where the fluffy batting fell apart and the horrible backing disintegrated, I put new 80/20 in and a new backing and quilted it with the AQS system. I only thought of that quilt when I was reading the replies this morning, so I guess I have accomplished more than I credit myself doing. I have only taken up quilting because my sewing friends all “quilt”, I really prefer garment sewing, but haven’t done a lot of that since I’ve gained weighed in my time where “numbers” don’t matter.

Give your machine a good workout and practice doing some of this quilting stuff on placemats, table runners and the like. The tendency is to just jump in without practice or learning and expect GOOD results the first time. We have to start with “baby steps”.

YouTube has lots of information - Janome Canada and Janome Headquartes (also Canada) have been really doing a great job of passing information on Instagram and then putting to YouTube during the pandemic - check it out. Also if you haven’t got Jim and Diane’s iPad, iPhone APPS, "My 12000" or "My 15000” or “Footbook” they are worth the purchase, Diane goes through all the items that come with these machines and the Footbook all the feet, with videos to help in the process of learning. I use Diane’s videos all the time to refresh my memory for the things ie: The Binder Attachment, so I use it correctly.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Sherryl Doran

Thanks, Cheryl!