Question about the 1/4" foot


Julie
 

Just wondering if anyone that has the 12000 machine has had a chance to use the 1/4" foot. Am I wrong to assume that with the foot in place and the default stitch that comes up (middle position)that from the needle to the edge of the foot is 1/4"? Mine is at least 3/8" away from the edge and if I want a 1/4" seam then I'm having to move the needle over to the right by at least 2 mm (from 5.0 to 7.00). I must be doing something wrong because the purpose of this foot is to seam a 1/4" seam, right?

Julie in TX


robin_zelonis <robin@...>
 

You can either move the needle over to your perfect 1/4" or there is under special settings for quilting a button for 1/4" piecing. I believe it is 8.3 default. The stitch length is also shortened too. I don't have the machine infront of me to explain exactly but it might be easier to just move the needle till you find it.
Robin in Maine

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone that has the 12000 machine has had a chance to use the 1/4" foot. Am I wrong to assume that with the foot in place and the default stitch that comes up (middle position)that from the needle to the edge of the foot is 1/4"? Mine is at least 3/8" away from the edge and if I want a 1/4" seam then I'm having to move the needle over to the right by at least 2 mm (from 5.0 to 7.00). I must be doing something wrong because the purpose of this foot is to seam a 1/4" seam, right?

Julie in TX


Julie
 

On all of my other machines, including the 11000, when you used a 1/4" foot, it meant that the seam would be 1/4" without any adjustments, assuming that your needle was in the center position. Not so with this foot? What I'm finding on this is that it's not anywhere close to 1/4" and even slightly larger than 3/8". It sounds like if I am going to use the foot that I need to go to the quilting section?

Julie in TX

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "robin_zelonis" <robin@...> wrote:

You can either move the needle over to your perfect 1/4" or there is under special settings for quilting a button for 1/4" piecing. I believe it is 8.3 default. The stitch length is also shortened too. I don't have the machine infront of me to explain exactly but it might be easier to just move the needle till you find it.
Robin in Maine

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone that has the 12000 machine has had a chance to use the 1/4" foot. Am I wrong to assume that with the foot in place and the default stitch that comes up (middle position)that from the needle to the edge of the foot is 1/4"? Mine is at least 3/8" away from the edge and if I want a 1/4" seam then I'm having to move the needle over to the right by at least 2 mm (from 5.0 to 7.00). I must be doing something wrong because the purpose of this foot is to seam a 1/4" seam, right?

Julie in TX


robin_zelonis <robin@...>
 

You will have to move the needle or in the quilting section it changes the position when you select it. I think the advantage of having it set up as they did with the quide further over is you now have the use of both sets of feed dogs to move the fabric. On previous models with the 1/4" foot, you were not really touching the right feed dogs and it took more effort to keep the fabric under the foot. I think it's just a slight adjustment to use but the results will be worth the switch.
Robin in Maine

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

On all of my other machines, including the 11000, when you used a 1/4" foot, it meant that the seam would be 1/4" without any adjustments, assuming that your needle was in the center position. Not so with this foot? What I'm finding on this is that it's not anywhere close to 1/4" and even slightly larger than 3/8". It sounds like if I am going to use the foot that I need to go to the quilting section?

Julie in TX

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "robin_zelonis" <robin@> wrote:

You can either move the needle over to your perfect 1/4" or there is under special settings for quilting a button for 1/4" piecing. I believe it is 8.3 default. The stitch length is also shortened too. I don't have the machine infront of me to explain exactly but it might be easier to just move the needle till you find it.
Robin in Maine

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone that has the 12000 machine has had a chance to use the 1/4" foot. Am I wrong to assume that with the foot in place and the default stitch that comes up (middle position)that from the needle to the edge of the foot is 1/4"? Mine is at least 3/8" away from the edge and if I want a 1/4" seam then I'm having to move the needle over to the right by at least 2 mm (from 5.0 to 7.00). I must be doing something wrong because the purpose of this foot is to seam a 1/4" seam, right?

Julie in TX


Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

This might be a little confusing to those who are coming to the 12000 from a previous model. The easiest way to set up for piecing is to let the machine do the work:

1. Touch the Sewing Application key (looks like a T-shirt).

2. Touch the Patchwork key.

3. Pick the stitch you want and attach the O foot. The machine will set the needle position and stitch length, although you can override it. It will also memorize the seam length for rapid piecing, since you only need to mark the first pieces.

Details are on page 82 of the manual. It works really well!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

Just wondering if anyone that has the 12000 machine has had a chance to use the 1/4" foot. Am I wrong to assume that with the foot in place and the default stitch that comes up (middle position)that from the needle to the edge of the foot is 1/4"? Mine is at least 3/8" away from the edge and if I want a 1/4" seam then I'm having to move the needle over to the right by at least 2 mm (from 5.0 to 7.00). I must be doing something wrong because the purpose of this foot is to seam a 1/4" seam, right?

Julie in TX


Julie
 

Jim and Robin - Thanks so much to both of you - I'm doing as you suggest and it seems to be the answer.

Julie in TX

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "robin_zelonis" <robin@...> wrote:

You will have to move the needle or in the quilting section it changes the position when you select it. I think the advantage of having it set up as they did with the quide further over is you now have the use of both sets of feed dogs to move the fabric. On previous models with the 1/4" foot, you were not really touching the right feed dogs and it took more effort to keep the fabric under the foot. I think it's just a slight adjustment to use but the results will be worth the switch.
Robin in Maine


stitchnpatch
 

Hi - trying out the 1/4" foot was one of the first things I did when I got my machine and I used the preset setting, however I thought that I would be driven mad by the message constantly appearing asking me if I wanted to stitch the next seam the same size or a different size (is there any way to turn that off?). Also the setting is for a generous quarter inch rather than a scant 1/4" - so I took a note of the settings I wanted to use, played with the needle position until I got it exactly where I wanted it and have programmed the needle position and stitch length in and saved them as a stitch setting - works great. If I'm piecing a number of pieces that are all the same the length then I can use the preprogrammed setting in the patchwork setting. I also wanted a 3/8" setting and was able to do it the same way.
Hope that helps.
Vicki


Julie
 

Thanks for that information. Is there a place in the manual that tells how to save your programmed positions and length as a stitch setting?

Julie

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@...> wrote:

Hi - trying out the 1/4" foot was one of the first things I did when I got my machine and I used the preset setting, however I thought that I would be driven mad by the message constantly appearing asking me if I wanted to stitch the next seam the same size or a different size (is there any way to turn that off?). Also the setting is for a generous quarter inch rather than a scant 1/4" - so I took a note of the settings I wanted to use, played with the needle position until I got it exactly where I wanted it and have programmed the needle position and stitch length in and saved them as a stitch setting - works great. If I'm piecing a number of pieces that are all the same the length then I can use the preprogrammed setting in the patchwork setting. I also wanted a 3/8" setting and was able to do it the same way.
Hope that helps.
Vicki


Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

See "Favorite Stitch Adjustment" on page 93 for saving stitch modifications.

The reason that the 1/4" foot does not automatically work with the needle in
center position is due to a redesign. The original 1/4" foot for 7mm machines
has the guide riding on a feed dog. The can cause problems for some people, so
they redesigned the 9mm foot so that the guide is not on a feed dog.

Regarding the "Change length" message that pops up every time you stop, you don't have to do anything at all. As soon as you start sewing again, it goes away.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

Thanks for that information. Is there a place in the manual that tells how to save your programmed positions and length as a stitch setting?

Julie

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@> wrote:

Hi - trying out the 1/4" foot was one of the first things I did when I got my machine and I used the preset setting, however I thought that I would be driven mad by the message constantly appearing asking me if I wanted to stitch the next seam the same size or a different size (is there any way to turn that off?). Also the setting is for a generous quarter inch rather than a scant 1/4" - so I took a note of the settings I wanted to use, played with the needle position until I got it exactly where I wanted it and have programmed the needle position and stitch length in and saved them as a stitch setting - works great. If I'm piecing a number of pieces that are all the same the length then I can use the preprogrammed setting in the patchwork setting. I also wanted a 3/8" setting and was able to do it the same way.
Hope that helps.
Vicki