Prewound cardboard sided bobbins - do they work in the 12000?

Gina <ginaboydbarton@...>

Jim,

I have been using the prewound cardboard sided bobbins in my 7700. I put an extra piece of the cardboard on the bobbin of the bobbin case to give it a little extra thickness. Will the prewound cardboard sided bobbins work in the 12000? Thanks. Gina

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

I really don't like that idea! The problem with those bobbins is that when they get near empty the cardboard side can slip down, allowing the needle thread to wrap around the core of the bobbin. Then the needle thread cannot pull up, and it can lead to the bobbin case being pulled out of position and stabbed by the needle. Also, because the bobbin is thinner than the normal class 15, it can prevent the bobbin sensor from working correctly and may even interfere with the thread cutter.

It's better to wind them off onto a standard bobbin, and when they are gone don't get any more in that size.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Gina" <ginaboydbarton@...> wrote:

Jim,

I have been using the prewound cardboard sided bobbins in my 7700. I put an extra piece of the cardboard on the bobbin of the bobbin case to give it a little extra thickness. Will the prewound cardboard sided bobbins work in the 12000? Thanks. Gina

Julie

What about the Nebs bobbins for doing embroidery? I never had problems with them in the 11000 machine and was told they wouldn't work, but they worked for me. Are Nebs class 15 bobbins? They don't have cardboard sides. Is it just the carboard sides you would not use?

Julie

[...]

meowmie <meowmie@...>

As long as they are the correct class or size for your machine the NEBS should be fine. According to AllStitch the NEBs Class 15 (Size A) bobbins are the correct size for a Janome 11000. I purchase prewound all the time now because I don't like how my 11000 winds its own bobbins. I only use my own bobbin winding for special colors of my embroidery threads when I need the exact same color. For the cost of these expensive machines I'd not take the chance on using a cardboard bobbin. Now if the pre-wound bobbin companies would "recycle" bobbins - let us send them back - that would be great - give us a little discount for sending back the bobbins, cut down on waste and be more "green". Some will tell you the bulk prewounds won't work in your machine so you'll buy what they have to offer - but we do need to remember to buy enough things from the small stores so they stay in business.

Jen

--- In janome12000@..., "Jim_Stutsman" wrote:

> I really don't like that idea! The problem with those bobbins is that when they get near empty the cardboard side can slip down, allowing the needle thread to wrap around the core of the bobbin. Then the needle thread cannot pull up, and it can lead to the bobbin case being pulled out of position and stabbed by the needle. Also, because the bobbin is thinner than the normal class 15, it can prevent the bobbin sensor from working correctly and may even interfere with the thread cutter.
>
> It's better to wind them off onto a standard bobbin, and when they are gone don't get any more in that size.
>
> --- In janome12000@..., "Gina" wrote:
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > I have been using the prewound cardboard sided bobbins in my 7700. I put an extra piece of the cardboard on the bobbin of the bobbin case to give it a little extra thickness. Will the prewound cardboard sided bobbins work in the 12000? Thanks. Gina

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

NEBS plastic bobbins are size L, shorter than class 15 which is also sold as class A. They will work, BUT as they run lower on thread they tend to bounce around. We sold them for a while but stopped when we had several boxes of them with burrs due to a bad mold. I got tired of filing 144 bobbins at a time! They also have a VERY annoying habit of sometimes tying the thread on the bobbin before winding. When you get to the end, it can't pull the free end of the thread out of the bobbin, so the bobbin case gets popped up and often gets damaged as a result. So, no, I don't much like NEBS bobbins either! If they work for you, keep using them until they're gone, then get the genuine Janomes.