Prewound bobbins size for the Janome 15000 (AND all Janome-made machines)

Tracy

L size bobbins are not as tall when you set them on your sewing table/desk, as the Class 15 (also known as Size A like Jim said) bobbins.  Janome machines are made with a deeper area for the bobbin and so need to "officially" have a Class 15 bobbin used so it fits completely in the bobbin case.  This is true for all the Janome-made machines that I've used, seen, had brought to classes.

You can, and I've done it, use Size L.  But they will bounce around because they are not as tall.  "Back in the day" folks that used Size L bobbins in machines that needed the taller Class 15, were told to put a dime in the bottom of the bobbin case and then set the Size L bobbin in place.  It works- but not a good idea to put anything metal into the bobbin case when you are supposed to use plastic bobbins.  Later came out the Bobbin Genies which are little washers that are sold to prevent the backlash of bobbins when stitching.  Those also work and because they are not metal- are a better plan if you are going to use Size L bobbins.  Another option I've heard people doing is to use the cardboard rings from cardboard sided bobbins (1 or 2) when using an L bobbin.  It also seems to work and because it's cardboard - doesn't create trouble with the plastic bobbins in the bobbin cases.

I will admit- when I first started using pre-wounds, I bought a couple gross "Nebs" as that is what I heard all about and how wonderful they were/are.  I didn't know they were Size L until I had issues with the bobbins bouncing around and did some research.  And- when I did learn the difference, I've been known to continue using them with the Genie washers or cardboard rings.  They don't bounce around when you make them just a bit taller.  And- since all of my machines are out of warranty from the dealer... I don't worry so much about voiding it and keep using them when that is what I have handy and they are the right color.

I know some folks have issues with bobbins and do much better by only using Janome branded bobbins with the J on them like shown in the video.  I have a few of them also and they work just fine.  But since they are Class 15- and I have an over-abundance of Class 15 bobbins.... it just depends on which one gets picked up when I'm winding my own.  (That doesn't happen all that often as I really like the extra miles of thread on pre-wounds.)

Just a tip- if you use pre-wounds and like to save them to use again... Be extra careful when winding thread onto them.  They are way more fragile than other bobbins and will break if you wind too fast or too full.  They are designed for thin thread afterall.  Using 40-50 wt thread will have them crack or pop much more often.  Just take care or since they are not that expensive... toss them or give them a new home with the pre-K or kindergarten children at the local school who can use them for art projects!

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Cat - N

Tracy, do you mean the "J" bobbins...prewounds by Janome?  That's all I buy, but I don't have issues winding thread on them when I need to load a color onto a "J" bobbin.

- Cat