oldie but goodie???

xglsc1945@...

Hello everyone thank you for allowing me to join.  I joined because I have a weird question about a machine that would have been introduced maybe 10/12 years ago.  Cant remember the number, name, but can give a pretty good description of its features.  When it came out I was working for a dealer but my main area of sales and education were Viking.  They sold Babylock as well, but I don 't think this was a babylock machine, I have Janome stuck in my head and I hope you can help.  This machine has become the unicorn that got away in my head, couldn't afford to add it to my "stable" at the time and I think I regret it to this day :D

The machine was one of the machines that were really directed towards quilters.  There were other semi commercial straight stitch machines out there that quilters were buying, but this one was different.  It had the wide harp area (for its time), the pull up thread delivery system, high speed, just like you see out there today by Juki, Janome etc.  The difference was, and this is what grabbed my attention, there were multiple stitches that appealed to quilters.  Needle up down, I think it may have had a knee lift... Blanket Stitch, I believe a briar stitch, feather stitch, wavy stitch and others I can't remember.... AND it was programmable!!!  I remember programming the hand look quilt stitch into the machine for a customer AND there was a block alphabet you could program for labels.  I believe there were at least a couple of buttonholes as well.  No touch screen, just a small rectangular area where you could see the stitches you programmed (as I recall)  The machine stitched quietly with that certain... smooth, hum.  Not jerky or loud.  Very pleasant machine and I think it was under $2000.  At the time and still to this day sew on my Viking D1 from Viking.  She still sews beautifully and I don't really need another machine but I would like the larger harp, fast stitching and to ease up on my D1, maybe keep her for the embroidery.

I've got this unicorn machine in my head and it's driving me crazy.  Have I painted the machine in my head with roses and Angels singing as perfection OR was it discontinued because it was a dud.  AND was it a Janome???  If it was perfection as I am remembering, why was it discontinued!!  If anyone has this machine, or remembers it, or better still are still using it, PLEASE feel free to contact me directly
xglsc@...

At the time

Jim Stutsman

That sounds like some models that were introduced shortly before we closed some 10 years ago. Here are some possibilities:

Model 6600P - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/mc6600p/
Model 6700P - Successor to above - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/mc6700p/
Model 7700 - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/jnh7700/

A lot of people had issues on the 6600P with paint chipping and coming off the machine body. It was a pretty good workhorse though.
The 6700P was a short run, as the 7700 replaced it.
The 7700 may still be in production as a New Home product (Internet). It was a decent machine, though the wheel on the front was more of an effort to be cool (era of the iPod "click wheel") than practical feature.

Betsy

My 6500P does all that and is still going strong after 17 years with me and it was used

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, July 11, 2021, 1:18 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

That sounds like some models that were introduced shortly before we closed some 10 years ago. Here are some possibilities:

Model 6600P - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/mc6600p/
Model 6700P - Successor to above - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/mc6700p/
Model 7700 - http://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/jnh7700/

A lot of people had issues on the 6600P with paint chipping and coming off the machine body. It was a pretty good workhorse though.
The 6700P was a short run, as the 7700 replaced it.
The 7700 may still be in production as a New Home product (Internet). It was a decent machine, though the wheel on the front was more of an effort to be cool (era of the iPod "click wheel") than practical feature.

xglsc1945@...

Thank you Jim, 6600 might be the one, seems much fancier physically than I remember.
I thank you very much for your help.

xglsc1945@...

sorry!  hit send too fast.  Jim was their a predecessor to the 6600 maybe a bit simpler?? but still with some extra stitches??

xglsc1945@...

thank you Betsy.
Linda

Jim Stutsman

Yes, you've caught me in a memory lie! The 6500P was the predecessor to the 6600, and was in fact the one with paint issues. I once had one come in for repair that had been thrown out of a pickup truck in a traffic accident. It still sewed perfectly, but the aluminum body of the machine had cracked from impact. Replacement in such a case is not feasible, since the casting is not available as a part, and it would require removing virtually every part of the machine and installing in a new body.

Cheryl Alm

I purchased a new 6500 just about 3 years ago, since it was an older model, it was available on the internet.  I actually purchased a 6500 back in 2005, but traded it in when the 6600 came available, even though the 6600 had the new built-in walking foot and a start/stop button, I always liked the 6500 best.  Both machines are workhorses and have the same footprint.  I use mine for most of my piecing, since my 15000 is usually busy embroidering.  I remember when I traded my 6500 the dealer gave me a hard time about the worn paint on the edges of the bed, especially the corners.  The new one does not seem to have that issue.