Topics

Oiling my 500e


Janet Cicerano
 

Hello all, 
My Janome 500e has been idle and covered with its plastic cover for 1 full year. Should I consider oiling it or any other precautionary care before starting her up? 
Thanks.
Janet


SewingRose
 

I would if it was my machine.  In fact, when I bought my 500E and it arrived in the original sealed box, I started to stitch one of the small built-in designs and quickly noticed the machine 'sounded' dry, so I did the oil/clean as per the owners manual and stitched the same built-in design with great results, the machine ran much smoother and has never skipped a beat since.  Deciding to do this oil/clean prevented future problems as I discovered a very long piece of white poly thread tangled in the machine, around the bobbin winding spindle (I use prewounds exclusively, so not mine) and through the top thread guide to the takeup lever and the end of this thread was then trapped in the needle bar.  It took some time to remove all the fragments and I know it was from factory 'testing' because I hadn't used white thread during that test stitchout, I had used dark green with a bright yellow prewound bobbin.  I placed the pieces of this white thread on the table and estimate it was well over a metre long.

Have you attempted to stitch a design?  what did it sound like?  If you do a test stitchout, use light and dark thread in top and bottom as this allows you to spot any tension and stitch formations problems easier.  Don't have the manual in front of me just now, but it's in the last few pages.  Hope this helps?  ;-)


Janet Cicerano
 

Thank you SewingRose for confirming my thoughts on oilingly my machine.  I'll follow the manuel directions.  
Best
Janet 

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 6:34 PM SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:
I would if it was my machine.  In fact, when I bought my 500E and it arrived in the original sealed box, I started to stitch one of the small built-in designs and quickly noticed the machine 'sounded' dry, so I did the oil/clean as per the owners manual and stitched the same built-in design with great results, the machine ran much smoother and has never skipped a beat since.  Deciding to do this oil/clean prevented future problems as I discovered a very long piece of white poly thread tangled in the machine, around the bobbin winding spindle (I use prewounds exclusively, so not mine) and through the top thread guide to the takeup lever and the end of this thread was then trapped in the needle bar.  It took some time to remove all the fragments and I know it was from factory 'testing' because I hadn't used white thread during that test stitchout, I had used dark green with a bright yellow prewound bobbin.  I placed the pieces of this white thread on the table and estimate it was well over a metre long.

Have you attempted to stitch a design?  what did it sound like?  If you do a test stitchout, use light and dark thread in top and bottom as this allows you to spot any tension and stitch formations problems easier.  Don't have the manual in front of me just now, but it's in the last few pages.  Hope this helps?  ;-)


Pixey
 

I would definitely oil it after it has been sitting that long.  Especially since the 500e is designed to need regular oiling.

Pixey


On Dec 5, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Janet Cicerano <janet.cicerano@...> wrote:


Hello all, 
My Janome 500e has been idle and covered with its plastic cover for 1 full year. Should I consider oiling it or any other precautionary care before starting her up? 
Thanks.
Janet


Janet Cicerano
 

Thanks Pixey,  I better get started sooner rather than later.  I'm getting nervous now....
Janet

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 9:25 PM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would definitely oil it after it has been sitting that long.  Especially since the 500e is designed to need regular oiling.

Pixey


On Dec 5, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Janet Cicerano <janet.cicerano@...> wrote:


Hello all, 
My Janome 500e has been idle and covered with its plastic cover for 1 full year. Should I consider oiling it or any other precautionary care before starting her up? 
Thanks.
Janet


SewingRose
 

Don't be nervous, just follow the instructions in the manual....and don't forget to breath!  Think of $$ saved by doing it yourself. ;-)


Janet Cicerano
 

😉


On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 6:18 PM SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:
Don't be nervous, just follow the instructions in the manual....and don't forget to breath!  Think of $$ saved by doing it yourself. ;-)


Pixey
 

I have found that for some reason, oiling the 500e is one of those tasks where the hesitancy and dread of doing it is vastly out of proportion to the actual task itself.  

I had to oil mine the other day after making a bunch of pet-friendly felt Christmas ornaments for my mom and some holiday themed masks.   Before doing it, I was whining about it to my poor husband and actually went so far as to price a replacement machine of a different brand that would not need oiling at my LQS.  Then I actually went through the oiling process and was irritated at myself for making such a big deal about it...again.

Pixey

On Dec 7, 2020, at 7:36 PM, Janet Cicerano <janet.cicerano@...> wrote:


😉

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, 6:18 PM SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:
Don't be nervous, just follow the instructions in the manual....and don't forget to breath!  Think of $$ saved by doing it yourself. ;-)