Topics

Off topic perspective on our future

Jim Stutsman

Today is especially meaningful for those of us in the United States, but I would imagine that wherever you live you remember where you were when you heard the news. So much has changed since September 11, 2001, that we can barely recognize the world we live in. Like me, you may be wondering "How did we come to this?" Last night I watched a documentary-drama on Netflix that goes a long way toward answering that question, and it raises some chilling concerns. It's called the social dilemma. While I have purposely avoided anything political on this list, this documentary applies to both sides of the aisle. It focuses on the one thing we all have in common, our humanity.

In full disclosure, I had a son who worked at Netflix, though he hasn't for more than a year. They don't need me to shill for them - COVID-19 has given them a huge surge of subscribers. They paid for the documentary, so it's not likely to be available on any other platform, at least for now. If you use Google, Facebook, Twitter, or even Pinterest you need to watch it. This post is NOT click-bait - I get no income from this list, though I do pay for it. I'm not looking for comments either. I just want you to know what's going on. Be aware, stay well.

Joyce Daniel

Thanks Jim for the heads up on this and yes, I am sure all of us know exactly where we were 9/11/01. Still gives me chills.

Hugs to all. Please stay safe and healthy and also, be kind to those you come in contact with, both in person and online. J

Joyce in GA

If my people, which are called by

My Name, shall humble themselves,

and pray, and seek My Face, and turn

from their wicked ways, then will I hear

from heaven, and will forgive their sin,

and will heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

Sewhat

Thank YOU, for not only being honest but also what we may need to watch instead of having are heads stuck in sewing and embroidery videos.  I will watch thank you

Donna Strode

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 8:43:20 AM EDT, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Nyssa Lanzafame

Makes me wish I had Netflix.... :(

Jim Stutsman

If you've never had it you may be eligible for a free trial. Go to the website netflix.com and check.

Patricia Ward

I checked and they have a 30 day free trial.  I will get that just to watch this.

Pat

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 8:12 AM Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...> wrote:
Makes me wish I had Netflix.... :(

martie_in_ca

I was very interested in this documentary.  I am like the daughter that doesn't want a smart phone. I prefer the computer. I do not use facebook except for some sewing and genealogy groups.  My personal account has never been actually opened.  My spouse has Alexa all over the house, two smart phones, a computer, and an iPad. I liked the part in the docu that showed the three guys that could track you 24/7 for everything under the sun, specialize the advertising and make money off me.  I have AD Remover to more or less divert the ads.
Also have you noticed the posture of the 13 to 35 year old's. Have you noticed the lack of proper manners with the device in public.  Have you noticed the lack of civil disobedience by our leaders as well as activists'. I don't need to know anyone's opinion of my daily life or my selfies.
Thank you for letting us watch this in our own private area of our house on TV.        Martie in ca

Randi Kemper

I watched it and it is so eye opening! Very scary. I hope there id a solution to this problem. I vow to stay off of social media except for friends and just delete everything that does not have a reliable source and not forward anything that has to do with politics. This program shows how easily influenced people, especially children are affected.

Randi Kemper

randisbear1@...

--
Randi Kemper
Magical Machine Embroidery

Cat - N

I don't 'do' social media' except for 'support' and have advised against it since the 1990's.  I was hoping this mentioned Michael McKibben and Leader Technologies but it doesn't...terrible shame.  The 'real' story goes back further than 'social media' and, in fact, to at least the 'Civil War' but that's even more off topic...just as interesting, though.  Thank you for sending the link.

- Cat

[...]

vicki J. Wardwell

I have the book on order from another library but, I will watch it too.
Tell NetFlix to fire the million telemarketers that text me every day.
My son gifted me Netflix.
--
Vicki Jane Hull- Wardwell