Now Hump Jumper

Nancy Graham

Kathy, do you put the hump jumper in front of the foot, like from the front towards the back of the machine?

I have an S9 and have lots of trouble sewing over thick seams, etc.

Nancy

Betsy

use it to put behind the foot to keep it level as it starts up the hill of the bump or thick seam

Tracy

Nancy-

Here is a video by the maker of the "orignal" hump jumper.  She shows using it for several different tasks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewing+thick+seams+with+a+hump+jumper&oq=sewing+thick+seams+with+a+hump+jumper&aqs=chrome..69i57.9161j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_jn6FXqjtOoi0tQbd2rqwCA30

The jumper that I have is white and flat- only the front part of the one that is shown in the video- with the "slit" in the front and you stitch with this flat piece, just like in the video- then move it to the front when your machine's foot is on top of the "hump".  It's a bit easier to use the V-shaped one as it's easier to grab hold of and I've got one of those too that came with my MC10001.  But I just wanted folks to know that stores also sell one that is flat.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Vicky McEwen <vickymc47@...>

I now know what a hump jumper is us ed for and how. I found one in my presser foot drawers. Thank you.........

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 08:08:15 AM CDT, Tracy <tjoriginals@...> wrote:

[...]

You tube has a great how to video also. Simple and visiual

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 04:20:19 PM CDT, Nancy Graham <nups@...> wrote:

Kathy, do you put the hump jumper in front of the foot, like from the front towards the back of the machine?

I have an S9 and have lots of trouble sewing over thick seams, etc.

Nancy

Betsy

this is officially called the button shank in my Janome 15000 but it works great for bulky seams.

Betsy

great video thanks for sharing, I have sewn for years and learned to use it in front of the foot as well as behind.
betsy in CA

Sewhat

What video I guess I missed it

Donna Strode

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 6:58:05 PM EDT, Betsy via groups.io <betsypep2000@...> wrote:

great video thanks for sharing, I have sewn for years and learned to use it in front of the foot as well as behind.
betsy in CA

Diane

Thanks so much for this video link.  I knew about using with bulky seams but not with pocket and collar corners!

Diane Bacon

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Betsy via groups.io <betsypep2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
great video thanks for sharing, I have sewn for years and learned to use it in front of the foot as well as behind.
betsy in CA

Tami Morgan

Oh My Gosh! We learn something new all the time! I never knew what the tool (hump jumper) was or how to use it.  Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my Tami’s iPhone

On Apr 2, 2020, at 9:08 AM, Tracy <TJOriginals@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tracy for the link to the hump jumper. A wonderful demonstration and explanation of using it. This will help greatly while I am making face masks in the corner where the elastic is attached.

Also thanks for the explanation between high and low shanks on Janome. That explains why I have 1 low and 2 high shank Janomes. The 2 highs are embroidery machines. Unfortunately, though, the feet are not interchangeable. The newest one I have, the Skyline 9 has a wider foot than my older Memory Craft. I don’t know why Janome did that. That’s one reason of the reasons, I decided to get another Janome when I bought the S9. Very disappointed in that and a few other things. My old Memory Craft is a great machine. Silly me, I thought a new machine with the auto cutter and easily removeable stitch plate would be worth plopping down $3500. Not!

Nancy

Ceil J

Nancy,
I still had my MC (New Home) 6000 from the late 80's and I was not about to lug that or my 15000 to a sewing class.  (Gave it to my daughter now.)  My dealer suggested the M7050.  While it is only 7mm, it has an auto thread cutter and push button running.  I love it.  It's light but very powerful (as he said it would be) and I've had no trouble going over thick seams in masks.  It surprised me as I usually use a mechanical machine (heavy in weight) for straight stitch sewing.  But this little machine is a real champ.  The only problem I have with it is that the presser foot has to be put down manually.  Not really a problem but I constantly forget to do it and then the machine beeps at me.  I never have named my machines but I do find myself apologizing to this one.  It's actually funny.
Ceil

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 8:44 AM Nancy Graham <nups@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy Strabel

Nancy---If you are having lots of trouble sewing over thick seams, you might try decreasing the downward pressure on the presser foot. Especially if you also are using the walking foot and having that trouble over thick seams. In addition to using the "hump jumper" or "height compensation tool" .  I was having a terrible time with the hook that holds the walking foot attached popping out of its slot when going over thick seams. But loosening the pre-set default pressure by 2 full clicks and using a hump jumper, that happens much less frequently. In fact, even when I am not going over thick seams, I change the default pressure down 2 clicks. The default setting is just too tight in my opinion. I use mostly quilting cottons, which are not all that bulky, but still I get better stitch quality with the lower pressure setting.  Hope that helps/
Kathy S