New owner 12000 with problems

sbspicer

Hello there
I purchased the 12000 a few weeks ago and although I really like the machine it has had problems since day 1, the first being the design seemed to be sinking into the fabric rather than laying on top ( dealer had it a week ) still not sorted properly but better, now the problem is I stitched out a design but right on the last colour about 200 stitches to completion it sort of skipped stitches. I let the design finish then stepped through the design to last colour and moved the needle to approx where the skipped stitches were, pressed start, needle came down and at the same time hoop moved right back to beginning of design, result ripped towel broken needle and ruined work.
I have tried replicating this with a different design and same thing happens, any help greatly appreciated even though I feel another trip back to my dealer is imminent.
Thanks to everyone who may help
Kind Regards
Sandra (UK)

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

You didn't say what the fabric was on your sinking design, but since you mentioned a towel I'm guessing that's what it was. Did you use a water soluble topping on top of the fabric? This is essential on any fabric that has any amount of loft to it, even something as seemingly flat as a T-shirt. The topping keeps the stitches from sinking in, and when you are finished you tear away what you can and the rest disappears in water.

The stitching issue is something completely different. Is is a Janome design (built-in or otherwise) or something from a third party? The symptoms you are reporting suggest a design that is incorrectly formatted, something that we have seen before when Janome introduces a new machine. The people who create the software that converts between design formats have to reverse-engineer the format and they don't always get it right. A small flaw in a converted design can cause the machine to behave completely out of character. If the design ORIGINATED with Janome (again built-in, CD, etc.) then the machine likely has a fault that will require a new motherboard. This is a dealer issue, but you can minimize transport if you talk to the dealer first. He/she will have to order the part, so there's no need to take your machine in until it arrives. On the other hand, if your built-in designs stitch correctly then the problem is more likely to be related to the design. Your dealer cannot do anything about that, but if you provide the design your dealer can see if the same problem happens on the shop machine. If it does, then the design can be sent to Janome for analysis, and if it does not then the motherboard can be ordered. If your dealer is unable to test the design, you can send it to me (jim@onlinesewing.com).

This type of problem is both annoying and scary, but the truth about electronics is that if something is going to fail, it will likely happen within the first 30 days. Even though the companies that make the components test them rigorously, sometimes a failure won't happen until the part has been used for a while. Given the insanely high number of transistors that get jammed into a few millimeters of silicon, I marvel that ANY of this stuff works! It's hard not to be discouraged, especially given the cost of the machine, but be assured this is not some cosmic karma payback and your dealer will make it all better!