New Member looking for the just right new machine

S B

Hello Janome Fans !

I've signed up for this list because I am a boomer dinosaur who still like email lists.

I am a vintage sewing machine lover, and have some of the best: a Bernina classic 830 and 530, a Necchi Supernova BU, Singer 401A, and classic Pfaff 18.

I am thinking I might buy a new computerized machine. I'm impressed with all that I read about the M7.  I do wonder if it is too much of a machine for me.  I once had my eyes on the 6600 way back, but would like more harp space to free motion quilt. Decorative stitches would be fun, but not too interested in embroidery.

I look forward to learning all about your machines and how they work for you,

Sue R

Cat - N

Welcome!!!

I had the 15000 before the M7 came out, and I don't have the M7.  The M7 has a larger harp space, but I quilt just fine on my 15000, both on the bed of the machine and in the hoop.  I am actually about to put two quilts ITH now, having quilted some straight lines on them already.  If you get a chance, it might be a good idea to see the M7 in person.  It's a fine machine...not a lot of advantage for me, since a long arm quilter lives here, too.

- Cat

I've signed up for this list because I am a boomer dinosaur who still
like email lists.

I am a vintage sewing machine lover, and have some of the best: a
Bernina classic 830 and 530, a Necchi Supernova BU, Singer 401A, and
classic Pfaff 18.

I am thinking I might buy a new computerized machine. I'm impressed with
all that I read about the M7.  I do wonder if it is too much of a
machine for me.  I once had my eyes on the 6600 way back, but would like
more harp space to free motion quilt. Decorative stitches would be fun,
but not too interested in embroidery.

I look forward to learning all about your machines and how they work for
you,

Sue R

Lou Ann

If you're not looking to embroider, I think the M7 is an excellent choice.  I have one and the stitch quality is outstanding.  It's also less expensive than the combo machines.  (I didn't check any current offers.)  I believe there are videos on YouTube to watch the machine in action.

Cheryl Paul

Welcome Sue,

I have lots of Janome machines and they include the 15000, Skyline S9 & and the Continental M7. Of them all, I absolutely LOVE the M7 and I’m not really a quilter but I do sew lots of quilt tops as I have 13 grand children. I was in a bra class about 3 months after the launch of the M7, which I had decided NOT to buy. The class was at my Dealer’s store and she offered me the M7 to try out in this class. Now you have to understand that making bras is a painful process, there are so many different types of fabrics, elastics, etc that my head spins each and every time I make one and I’ve made over a hundred in the last 15 years - some fit very nicely and others not so much, but they are still more comfortable that any I’ve ever bought. The seams are short, except for the elastics that go around the body and over the shoulders, so there is lots of starting and stopping. This machine sewed through everything like butter and didn’t give me one bit of grief and believe me there is lots of issues that can happen in making a bra, like the fabric beating down in the “hole” because you sew from the edge and I’m famous for wanting to start at the very edge of the fabric — I’m working on that all the time. I really don’t like a jammed up machine as it takes to much work to up plug when the fabric gets stuck in the hole. After the first day of the class I was at the “I pretty sure I want this machine”, and the next week at the end of class, I told the dealer that I want one, here is my credit card and when can I take it home. I have never looked back and have NEVER regretted that purchase.

The harp is huge on the M7 and it is so nice to have that space for all kinds of things. My seam ripper lives there, my stylus, clips, pin cushion and so much more. I still have tons of room to feed my fabric through and I KNOW where those little things are when I need them. I know this space isn’t meant for what I use it but it works for me. I will just have to sweep them aside and give them a new home, IF ever I decide to learn free motion or any other kind of quilting in the future. So you see there are “options” for this machine besides just sewing and quilting. Like I said before, it was one the best buys I could have made as this machine is AWESOME, it sews beautifully - the best I’ve had in over 50 years of sewing - worth every penny I paid for it. Forgot to mention that the decorative stitches are great and the HP system for accurate seams is the best.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Deb K.

Hello and welcome, I must admit I stay current with this group courtesy of the daily email (thanks Jim!). A couple of things pop into my mind budget, and what you want to do? If you want embroidery the 15000 is a great machine with a chronically bad needle threader. If you want embroidery on a smaller budget I hear the Skyline 9 is a decent machine but you don’t get the harp space or the hoop size of the 15000. If you don’t want the embroidery function the M7 is my favorite Janome EVER! It’s so sturdy and dependable and HUGE it just can’t be beat. I have both machines and I have to confess I haven’t done any embroidery since I got the M7 just before “the pandemic”. If you want embroidery you may consider the M7 and a separate machine for embroidery and you may come out spending less than you would for a 15000. Keep in mind that Janome did not release a new machine as expected this year so next year may bring a (bigger?) better machine comparable to these two top machines we shall see. Can you tell my heart votes M7 all the way. Good luck, let us know what you decide. Happy stitching.

atheodossis@...

Hi, I have the 14000 and the M7. The 14000 is my 100% embroidery machine. The results are fantastic. I did not have any issues with the auto threader, but being cautious I just thread the machine manually as much as I can. The M7 is the best sewing machine I have ever used, and I have been sewing for 20 plus years and have had all the machines out there, Pfaff, Viking, Brother, etc. Janome beats all of them. I am also a Bernina person. I am blessed to have both , I also have a Bernina 790Plus. Janome will not let you down no matter what you are doing. I use my M7 for quilting; and garment construction. It is really an industrial machine modified for home use. In my mind getting the 15000 is really limiting. You can do ruler work with the M7, and the only thing you get with 15000 is the wifi functionality. However, for the amount of money, nothing wrong to use a USB. I have the digitizer software also. In my mind other than positioning, all the other functions of an embroidery machine are better handled with the software, and you just execute on the machine. You get the full power of your Mac and the software to create your desired design, save on the usb, and then you stitch out. I have done quilting on the 14000 including FMQ with great results also. Regardless what you hear, just use organ needles exclusively with your Janome. They were calibrated for Janome needles at the factory and that is what you should be using.

Good Luck

favymtz

Re the differences between the 14k and 15, is more than just the WiFi connectivity.
15k has more stitches, 510 compared to 400; and I'm sure that's partly because it has the Tapered Stitching section;
More built in embroidery designs: 480 compared to 350
The 15k has the Horizon Link Software. 14k has only a Stitch Composer?
But regarding size of the machine & the hoops available, that's all the same!
It's nice that Janome has given some options for these 2 machines so a consumer can pick which one they want!

--
Favymtz

atheodossis@...

Hi, Thank you, you are right about the differences. Since, I have the M7, which does have the tapered, I haven't even stitched anything on the 14000, just embroidery, and again the quality of the embroidery is amazing. I am only kicking myself for not buying Janome machines before lol. They are also so easy to use. I compare them to my Mac, they just let you create, and they take care of the complicated things. On the other hand Berninas, although, they also produce amazing results, require much more user modification to get good results. I also realized, Janome is giving much more accessories when you buy the machine. On the Bernina side you need to account for a different budget to invest in all the accessories. Other than these 2 brands, I would not bother you Brother/Babylock the quality is just not there. And as far as Pfaff/Viking go, they are just overpriced Singers now :-(; a lot of plastic and that's about it.

Cat - N

There are some other differences between the 15000 and the 14000 as well that have not been mentioned, such as Acufil…although there have been recent discussions on ‘quilting in the hoop’ using the Acufil ASQ22 hoop. Acufil comes with the 15000 but is a separate kit for purchase for the 14000 and 12000.  Even if you don’t use Acufil software on the computer for the quilting process, the hoop is a handy little gadget to have.

It’s nice to have choices and I think Janome tried to give us choices. I bought the 15000 before there ‘was’ a 14000 released in The United States of America. I had already decided on the 15000, of course, it couldn’t be a consideration because there was no way for me to know if the 14000 would ‘ever’ be for sale here.

I am not unhappy with my purchase. Janome has provided update/upgrade path to v.3 to match the v.3 Quiltmaker as released.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Nov 19, 2021 at 2:39 PM, <Atheodossis> wrote:

[...]

Fiona Williams

How do you like your Bernina?

On Nov 19, 2021, at 11:42 AM, atheodossis@... wrote:

[...]

Hi, I really love my Bernina, and I have been using Bernina's for a long time since the late 90s. The Bernina produces amazing results, but much more user intervention is required regarding the right settings. Janome's are much more mellow. The other difference is when you are doing patchwork, Janome is more steady state, than Bernina. Janome (14000 & M7) have the ability to start patchwork without fuss. Bernina's can give you trouble, especially with finer fabrics. On the embroidery side, Bernina embroidery is more photographic (flat), than the Janome(more 3D). I think it has to do with the different esthetic (German versus Japanese). If I was starting now, and could only get one machine, I would definitely go with the Janome. If you have a good inventory of machines build up, Bernina will definitely introduce you to a whole different dimension of sewing & embroidery with a European flair. I have a ton of machines, including Juki; Brother, Pfaff, Bernina, and  Janome. What I use daily is my Janome and Bernina machines. Like I had said elsewhere, other than these 2 brands, I would not bother with the rest, they just don't worth the stress, and the results are just not there. Lastly please keep in mind, Babylocks are just brothers with different software with higher prices and still the low quality. Babylock will Nickel and dime you all the way, and they really make their money on the extended warranties, which are obscene if you ask me.

atheodossis@...

By the way the M7 is an absolute dream and worths every penny. The results are amazing no matter what I throw at it.

SewingRose

While I guess the M7 would be a fabulous machine (all Janomes are!!) I felt it was physically too big for my sewing room that it would have to share with my other machines.  For many years I owned a 6500 and while it was a difficult decision to let it go, the 9450 now sits in it's place and I have never regretted that decision, although 'old habits' mean I forget to use the freearm sometimes.

You mentioned decorative stitches would be fun, then the 9450 has heaps and it also comes with Stitch Composer software so you can design your own deco stitches, but most of all, it stitches the most beautiful buttonholes and comes with the new buttonhole stabiliser plate which is fabulous when stitching buttonholes near an edge which has bulk from seam allowances etc or even fine, slippery fabrics used to make a blouse.  Recently I made a blouse from a silky fabric with rayon embroidery thread (for extra sheen) for the rounded-end buttonholes and the stabiliser plate meant the buttonholes were perfect and hassle-free.

The harp space is great for all types of sewing, I make all of my clothes, quilts and home dec items and the harp space is one of the things I like most of all.  You mentioned 'not too interested in embroidery' but if you wish to add that in the future, my preference is to have a standalone embroidery machine, so I can continue sewing while the 500E is busy embroidering.

If you are interested in FMQ check out ruler quilting which can be done on the 9450 too.  Also I've just bought the AcuFil Kit for the 500E and can't wait to quilt ITH.  There are so many options available and you can choose whichever suits you.  Good luck with your decision, please come back and let us know which machine followed you home.