katz11west

Good morning to all.  Thanks for letting me join.  I do not currently own a Janome, hence my reason for joining your group.  I am thinking about purchasing a 500E embroidery only machine.
My current machines are Viking Designer 1, and Bernina 180. I have never owned a Janome and have seen a few of the MC 15000 for sale locally.  They still have a hefty price tag of around $5,000.  I would like to stay under $3,000.00
I like the 500E .  One of the features is onboard editing.  I do own some older Bernina software that has some editing features, just alot of steps to accomplish removing or adding to a design.
Any advice will be much appreciated.  

Lorrie K.

Cat - N

Hi, Lorrie!  So nice of you to join. I hope you feel welcomed here. This is a great group. The owner of this group is very knowledgeable and there are many members who are very knowledgeable as well. I joined some Janome (and other) groups when I was looking at machines, too. There is nothing like owner experience, provided the machine features, specs, price, warranty, etc., meet your expectations as well. 

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a thing about the 500e because I have an 11000 and a 15000.  What I know about the 500e is from reading and hearing friends who own them talk about them.   I do find Janome machines to be excellent, and I have a 100-stitch, computerized Kenmore that was made by Janome that I bought in January 1994, and it still works great…so that is a good part of my belief that Janome makes a great machine.  In my experience, they sew great and are quiet.  I also have a Pfaff 10-thread coverlocker, and have owned other brands of sewing machines, so I buy for features/specs/reliability/needs/costs, etc…not for brand loyalty specifically/exclusively. 

In the event that you do find you need additional software, depending on what you need, there are some that are ‘modular’ software packages so you do not have to purchase more than you need.  Also, there are inexpensive software packages, and even free ones. 

I assume you may have found a 500e nearby, but you mentioned the 15000, and it’s higher price, so  I don’t know if you’re set on the 500e for other reasons too, or pining the inability to purchase a 15000 due to the higher cost, but I thought I would mention that Ken’s Sewing Center (online but physically in AL) is hosting their ‘left in layaway’ sale starting 7/26/21.  You would need to call to find out what machines customers have opted not to complete their layaway purchases and so are available and the costs, but I do have friends who have purchased machines from Ken’s. Just a thought…they are a Janome dealer but not necessarily local to you…not local to me (FL) or my friends either. lol   I have purchased many things from them…just not machines so far. 

Buying a new machine is an adventure…one which I hope you will enjoy!  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

Ann Jones

Good morning Lorrie

I have the Janome 9450 and decided to keep the two functions separate by getting the 500E. Friends in my embroidery group have the 1500. I believe I have the best of the two worlds as it allows me to operate both machines without compromise.. 
The onboard editing works just fine for what I need. Hatch has its start up module that may interest you. Look at John Deer site.
There are others but I have not needed to use any outside of the machine as yet so cannot truly advise.
I like the embroidery finish of my 500E. The 550E has some tweeks but I can see no reason to upgrade to gain those.
Good luck with your decision.
Ann in Au

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Sunday, 25 July 2021, 9:01:35 AM ACST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

Hi, Lorrie!  So nice of you to join. I hope you feel welcomed here. This is a great group. The owner of this group is very knowledgeable and there are many members who are very knowledgeable as well. I joined some Janome (and other) groups when I was looking at machines, too. There is nothing like owner experience, provided the machine features, specs, price, warranty, etc., meet your expectations as well. 

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a thing about the 500e because I have an 11000 and a 15000.  What I know about the 500e is from reading and hearing friends who own them talk about them.   I do find Janome machines to be excellent, and I have a 100-stitch, computerized Kenmore that was made by Janome that I bought in January 1994, and it still works great…so that is a good part of my belief that Janome makes a great machine.  In my experience, they sew great and are quiet.  I also have a Pfaff 10-thread coverlocker, and have owned other brands of sewing machines, so I buy for features/specs/reliability/needs/costs, etc…not for brand loyalty specifically/exclusively. 

In the event that you do find you need additional software, depending on what you need, there are some that are ‘modular’ software packages so you do not have to purchase more than you need.  Also, there are inexpensive software packages, and even free ones. 

I assume you may have found a 500e nearby, but you mentioned the 15000, and it’s higher price, so  I don’t know if you’re set on the 500e for other reasons too, or pining the inability to purchase a 15000 due to the higher cost, but I thought I would mention that Ken’s Sewing Center (online but physically in AL) is hosting their ‘left in layaway’ sale starting 7/26/21.  You would need to call to find out what machines customers have opted not to complete their layaway purchases and so are available and the costs, but I do have friends who have purchased machines from Ken’s. Just a thought…they are a Janome dealer but not necessarily local to you…not local to me (FL) or my friends either. lol   I have purchased many things from them…just not machines so far. 

- Cat

Ceil J

Lorrie,
I have the 15000 and do love it but if I had it to do over again, I would buy two separate machines.  I think there is a 550e with a super large hoop.  It's a tough decision! (I'd also get the Continental M7 but it seems you don't need a 4th machine!)
Welcome,
Ceil

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 8:08 PM Ann Jones via groups.io <anahita2868=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good morning Lorrie

I have the Janome 9450 and decided to keep the two functions separate by getting the 500E. Friends in my embroidery group have the 1500. I believe I have the best of the two worlds as it allows me to operate both machines without compromise.. 
The onboard editing works just fine for what I need. Hatch has its start up module that may interest you. Look at John Deer site.
There are others but I have not needed to use any outside of the machine as yet so cannot truly advise.
I like the embroidery finish of my 500E. The 550E has some tweeks but I can see no reason to upgrade to gain those.
Good luck with your decision.
Ann in Au

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Sunday, 25 July 2021, 9:01:35 AM ACST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, Lorrie!  So nice of you to join. I hope you feel welcomed here. This is a great group. The owner of this group is very knowledgeable and there are many members who are very knowledgeable as well. I joined some Janome (and other) groups when I was looking at machines, too. There is nothing like owner experience, provided the machine features, specs, price, warranty, etc., meet your expectations as well. 

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a thing about the 500e because I have an 11000 and a 15000.  What I know about the 500e is from reading and hearing friends who own them talk about them.   I do find Janome machines to be excellent, and I have a 100-stitch, computerized Kenmore that was made by Janome that I bought in January 1994, and it still works great…so that is a good part of my belief that Janome makes a great machine.  In my experience, they sew great and are quiet.  I also have a Pfaff 10-thread coverlocker, and have owned other brands of sewing machines, so I buy for features/specs/reliability/needs/costs, etc…not for brand loyalty specifically/exclusively. 

In the event that you do find you need additional software, depending on what you need, there are some that are ‘modular’ software packages so you do not have to purchase more than you need.  Also, there are inexpensive software packages, and even free ones. 

I assume you may have found a 500e nearby, but you mentioned the 15000, and it’s higher price, so  I don’t know if you’re set on the 500e for other reasons too, or pining the inability to purchase a 15000 due to the higher cost, but I thought I would mention that Ken’s Sewing Center (online but physically in AL) is hosting their ‘left in layaway’ sale starting 7/26/21.  You would need to call to find out what machines customers have opted not to complete their layaway purchases and so are available and the costs, but I do have friends who have purchased machines from Ken’s. Just a thought…they are a Janome dealer but not necessarily local to you…not local to me (FL) or my friends either. lol   I have purchased many things from them…just not machines so far. 

- Cat

SewingRose

Currently I own a Janome 500E and also a Janome 9450 which means I can continue sewing while the 500E is doing her thing and producing great embroidery, I have owned combo (sewing/embroidery) machines in the past but much prefer separate machines.  I notice you own Bernina software and actually I use Bernina software (free version) even though I've never owned a Bernina embroidery machine.  While I've owned various embroidery machines since 2001, they have all been Janome.

Not sure if you are aware that the 500E has been superseded by the 550E, so if you go to the Janome.com website there is a chart where you can compare both machines and decide if the few upgraded features are worth the extra cost to you.  Some dealers include additional bonuses and some countries include different hoops...mine only came with two hoops but the dealer was giving a discount on the other three hoops if they were purchased at the same time and I knew from past experience I would want them at sometime so went ahead. 

You can download the owner's manual at the Janome.com site as well as YouTube videos posted by Janome. 

Hope some of this helps?  good luck with your decision, but I doubt you would have any regrets with either machine.

Mary Sanerkin

Welcome to the site.  Like some of the others I have kept the two sewing functions separate.  I have a Janome 8900 and until recently I had the 500e embroidery machine which was great.  I changed it to the 550e as I needed the larger hoop.  I am so glad I did.  The larger hoop is much more versatile.   I also bought the Janome Artistic Digitizer software when it was on offer.   Great fun to use.    

Happy sewing

Pixey

Hi Lorrie,
Welcome to the group. I have both the 15000 and the 500e and the S9 (which is a smaller version of the 15000) and they are all good machines with their individual idiosyncrasies.  Part of deciding which machine to get should be based on the type of machine embroidery you want to explore.  If you are looking at doing larger quilting style projects, the 15000 is the better machine because it has the larger throat area and rear drive system.  Plus a better quilting specific hoop.  But I find for garment or smaller machine embroidery projects (like placemats or craft projects), the 500e is often the better machine.

You mentioned the built in editor.  Both machines are similar in that respect.  They also come with a basic editor software that can be loaded on a PC.

A couple of things that to me are key differences between them from the mach8ne embroidery perspective…
The hoops for the 500e are much more compact and easy to handle when doing in-the-hoop or appliqué projects than those of the 15000.  There is also much less wasted stabilizer.  Also you may want to consider machine footprint needs.  Because the 15000 is larger and drives hoops from the back of the machine, you need a much larger table and space behind the machine than for the 500e.  The 500e is also much lighter for taking to classes or workshops than the 15000.  That said, it does not fit well in most sewing machine carriers.  The weight and size of the 15000 just was not practical for me to take on the road, which was why I ended up getting the S9 for workshops.

In terms of hoop size, I considered going up to the 550e, but I really like the RE28 hoop of the 500e and find it sufficiently large for most of my projects.  There are a lot of times that bigger is not necessarily better.  If I were to get a 550e, I would definitely want the “optional” RE28 hoop in addition to the larger one it comes with.  Also, the dimensions of the 500e and 550e hoops more closely align to the sizes of many commercially available designs.  

A couple of other differences on the technical side.  I find that the 500e is not quite as smooth and quiet as the 15000.  However, it is not as loud as some of the other popular machine brands that people bring to the embroidery clubs at my sewing store.  Also, the maintenance requirements of the 15000 are minimal, but the 500e does require regular oiling at a number of points and include tipping the machine on end and removing covers.  There are some YouTube videos that show the oiling requirements that are very helpful or you can get your dealer to show you how to do it the first time (which is what I did).

Also, you may not realize it but there are several different versions of the 15000 floating around in the used machine market.  I skipped the 15000 version 1 but from what others have said in the past, it sometimes had problems with the automatic needle threader.  I bought a 15000 version 2 machine and then had it upgraded by my dealer to the same functionality as a version 3 machine (which came out shortly afterward and had some additional needle threader improvements and additional feet and specific functionality for quilting and ruler work).

Finally, you can load 3rd party designs onto the 500e by directly connecting the machine to a PC or using a USB thumb drive.  The 15000 offers the additional option of connecting wirelessly to your PC.

I hope this gives you a sense of some of the contrasts between the two machines.  If you have other specific questions, toss them out and I or other 500e owners can answer them.

Pixey

On Jul 24, 2021, at 5:35 PM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Good morning to all.  Thanks for letting me join.  I do not currently own a Janome, hence my reason for joining your group.  I am thinking about purchasing a 500E embroidery only machine.
My current machines are Viking Designer 1, and Bernina 180. I have never owned a Janome and have seen a few of the MC 15000 for sale locally.  They still have a hefty price tag of around $5,000.  I would like to stay under $3,000.00
I like the 500E .  One of the features is onboard editing.  I do own some older Bernina software that has some editing features, just alot of steps to accomplish removing or adding to a design.
Any advice will be much appreciated.  

Lorrie K.

Fran

Welcome to the group,

I also have the 15000 and if I had it to do over, I would buy separate machines. Good luck with your decision. 

Lyn Quine

I have a 12000 15000 350e and a 6600P.   I wouldn’t do anything different.  I like the security of knowing I have another machine I can use if needs be.  I wouldn’t like to be without my embroidery capability or sewing.  I know I am extremely lucky to be in this position, that is until service time then I’m not quite so happy, I’ve got alternatives but I also have lots of service bills.

On 25 Jul 2021, at 14:41, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Welcome to the group,

I also have the 15000 and if I had it to do over, I would buy separate machines. Good luck with your decision. 

katz11west

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts on various Janome machines and software.  Still doing some research on which model I will buy.  I am finding after having my Bernina V5 software for probably over 15 years there are some editing features that may be the answers to what I felt I needed in a machine with onboarding editing features in my next machine.  I am assuming (and you know what they say about that...lol) that Janomes are all  USB compatible?  Do I download designs to a thumb drive and insert into the embroidery machine?  Guess this sounds like a dumb question but right now using older machines I am limited to floppy disks for the D1 and a cable between my Bernina and the computer.  

Thanks
Lorrie

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have the Janome 15000 and 9450 and both has USB ports. The 15000 also supports cable input from the computer. The scenario you described regarding the embroidery machine is correct. Once the design is loaded into memory it can also be stored in the machine for future use. If I remember correctly on the 15000 you should actually load the design into memory and remove the flash drive.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of katz11west via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 5:32 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] New Member

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts on various Janome machines and software.  Still doing some research on which model I will buy.  I am finding after having my Bernina V5 software for probably over 15 years there are some editing features that may be the answers to what I felt I needed in a machine with onboarding editing features in my next machine.  I am assuming (and you know what they say about that...lol) that Janomes are all  USB compatible?  Do I download designs to a thumb drive and insert into the embroidery machine?  Guess this sounds like a dumb question but right now using older machines I am limited to floppy disks for the D1 and a cable between my Bernina and the computer.  

Thanks
Lorrie

Cat - N

I have an 11000 (v.1 upgraded to v.3.10) embroidery machine manufactured by Janome in 2005, and a 15000 (v.2 upgraded to v.3) that I bought in 2016. Both have USB by direct cable connect and can open designs on a thumb drive/flash drive/ memory stick.  The 15000 also has connectivity by WiFi. I would guess that embroidery machines designed and manufactured by Janome after at least 2005 would have USB/flash/thumb drive capability, but Janome lists those kind of specs online so it is pretty easy to confirm for any model of interest. Some models may not have ‘direct connect by USB cable’ drivers for more current Windows computer operating systems…such as the 11000, but the 500e is definitely a newer model. 

I personally would never download a design directly to a USB drive…too many years in I.T. and don’t trust those with critical/unique data…I download to a physical hard disc and put copies on USB (memory) drives as needed for transfer. 

- Cat

On Jul 26, 2021 at 8:29 AM, <katz11west via groups.io> wrote:

Thanks
Lorrie

Pixey

Yes, you can use a USB thumb drive to transfer designs to the 500e, 550e, and 15000.  The 500e has one built in USB port and the 15000 has two.

And you don’t have to save the design to the machine memory to access it.  You can simply plug in the thumb drive, select it from the files menu, and go.  The machines  work best with smaller memory thumb drives (available at most sewing stores or Amazon).

Pixey

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:29 AM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Thanks
Lorrie

Lyn Quine

I buy the 2GB memory sticks from Amazon, you don’t store your designs on them they are for transferring to the machine.  Store on the computer and just transfer either by cable to the later machines or the USB.  For the 15000, 12000 now retired but still a good machine) 14000, 500e (now retired) 550e, they all talk to Horizon Link software, which is an editor not a digitising software.  The 15000 works with the ipad and the Acudesign set of apps, and will work on wifi.  You can also have the quilting frame which is an add on for the 500E and 550E, 12000, but is comes with the 15000.

As far as editing on the machine, it is very limited, you can’t delete parts of the design, you would need software or the apps to do that, you can add to the design as in importing other designs into the editing screen, you can add borders etc from the machines library or from your own, but if you want to do that it might be better to do that on your computer and save to the USB to transfer, or by wifi.  I often use wifi from my Janome software the Digitizer V5.5.  Editing is much easier in software than on the machine screen.

Lyn

On 26 Jul 2021, at 14:26, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

Yes, you can use a USB thumb drive to transfer designs to the 500e, 550e, and 15000.  The 500e has one built in USB port and the 15000 has two.

And you don’t have to save the design to the machine memory to access it.  You can simply plug in the thumb drive, select it from the files menu, and go.  The machines  work best with smaller memory thumb drives (available at most sewing stores or Amazon).

Pixey

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:29 AM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Thanks
Lorrie

Vikki Youngmeyer

I get most of my embroidery designs from vendors and download the designs to my hard drive. I then copy the designs I want to use to a flash drive so I always can go back to my hard drive if needed.

Vikki

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 8:09 AM
To: Onlinesewing-Janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] New Member

I have an 11000 (v.1 upgraded to v.3.10) embroidery machine manufactured by Janome in 2005, and a 15000 (v.2 upgraded to v.3) that I bought in 2016. Both have USB by direct cable connect and can open designs on a thumb drive/flash drive/ memory stick.  The 15000 also has connectivity by WiFi. I would guess that embroidery machines designed and manufactured by Janome after at least 2005 would have USB/flash/thumb drive capability, but Janome lists those kind of specs online so it is pretty easy to confirm for any model of interest. Some models may not have ‘direct connect by USB cable’ drivers for more current Windows computer operating systems…such as the 11000, but the 500e is definitely a newer model. 

I personally would never download a design directly to a USB drive…too many years in I.T. and don’t trust those with critical/unique data…I download to a physical hard disc and put copies on USB (memory) drives as needed for transfer. 

- Cat

On Jul 26, 2021 at 8:29 AM, <katz11west via groups.io> wrote:

Thanks
Lorrie

Kaye Lessard

You can open design on my machine and remove usb while it is stitching!
I had a janome educator fo that to me in class one day and I was so upset but it kept sewing the design!
Kaye in la

katz11west

Well I went and looked at the Janome 550 recently.  I got sidetracked when the dealer showed me a Bernina 830 embroidery machine they had taken in as a trade .  I was immediately impressed with all the bells and whistles and normally don't impulse buy thought I was getting a great machine pretty inexpensive
Anyhow to make a long story short, found out this is a machine that had a lot of problem and was discontinued.  Luckily I got my money back and now being offered the Janome 550 at a better price since they now called it an open box item.    Still not sure at this time of what I am really looking for.  
thanks again for all the feedback I received.  Will keep everyone updated.

Cat - N

Oh my!  So sorry you were sold a ‘known dud’ but great the dealer made it right. I sympathize with your search…I literally made a huge spreadsheet when I was researching machines so I could compare specs, prices, etc., in an organized manner…lol. I still update it with new models, and I sent it to friends who were looking for machines, but it became too large to be emailed several years ago.  Not to worry…you will find ‘the machine’ you want. 

Cat

On Aug 4, 2021 at 10:33 AM, <katz11west via groups.io> wrote:

Well I went and looked at the Janome 550 recently.  I got sidetracked when the dealer showed me a Bernina 830 embroidery machine they had taken in as a trade .  I was immediately impressed with all the bells and whistles and normally don't impulse buy thought I was getting a great machine pretty inexpensive
Anyhow to make a long story short, found out this is a machine that had a lot of problem and was discontinued.  Luckily I got my money back and now being offered the Janome 550 at a better price since they now called it an open box item.    Still not sure at this time of what I am really looking for.  
thanks again for all the feedback I received.  Will keep everyone updated.

Lindsey Palmer

katz11west,  I purchased a Janome550e last year after much research and have been happy with the decision I made.  I am a person who doesn’t want so many bells and whistles that it gets in the way of good, consistent functionality. I like some of the very specialized types of machine embroidery, using ribbon and the like, but the items I make the most demand consistent, good quality stitching and this machine is great at providing that with little effort.  As with all machines, I find that the quality of thread used and how the bobbins are wound, is often the key to happy stitching.  Best of luck in your search. 

Kathy Strabel

Lindsey----I also have the 500e which I purchased approx 2-1/2 years ago. I use it every week at least. It delivers beautiful stitchouts. However a few months ago it developed a very annoying  problem that I will call "shaking/jumping bobbin"   I have taken it into the shop twice and getting ready for a third trip back for the same problem within 4 months.   The dealer says it is fixed, yet after an hour or so of stitch time, the problem comes right back again.  Apparently this is a well-known problem as I have had responses on this website from others who have had the problem. Plus many good suggestions from the Moderator, Jim Stutzman. But none of these things has worked for me. yet.  I would advise you to pay close attention to the noise level while your machine is stitching. If the noise begins to increase over time, I would take the machine into the dealer. To verify if it is the bobbin that is shaking/spinning/rattling/jerking, hoop some transparent topping  or other see-through stabilizer in any of your hoops and run any of your designs. You can observe the activity of the bobbin through the transparent material and the transparent bobbin cover plate.  Put a mark on the bobbin so you can see the movement more clearly. I used a dot of nail polish.  I really hope this problem does not develop for your machine-----one person responded to my query by saying that she started to hate her machine and just got rid of it.  That option is not open for me at this time. It is not just the noise level, the stitches will become less perfect, more loops on top, bird nests underneath despite having all ducks in a row, with proper needle, stabilizer, fabric, threads, hooping technique, etc , etc., etc. . Very very frustrating.    Good luck--and happy stitching on your 500e. I love the convenience of an embroidery-only machine so I can sew on my other machine at the same time.   Kathy Strabel    Camas WA