New Member

katz11west

Good morning to all.  Thanks for letting me join.  I do not currently own a Janome, hence my reason for joining your group.  I am thinking about purchasing a 500E embroidery only machine.
My current machines are Viking Designer 1, and Bernina 180. I have never owned a Janome and have seen a few of the MC 15000 for sale locally.  They still have a hefty price tag of around $5,000.  I would like to stay under $3,000.00
I like the 500E .  One of the features is onboard editing.  I do own some older Bernina software that has some editing features, just alot of steps to accomplish removing or adding to a design.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Lorrie K.

Cat - N

Hi, Lorrie!  So nice of you to join. I hope you feel welcomed here. This is a great group. The owner of this group is very knowledgeable and there are many members who are very knowledgeable as well. I joined some Janome (and other) groups when I was looking at machines, too. There is nothing like owner experience, provided the machine features, specs, price, warranty, etc., meet your expectations as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a thing about the 500e because I have an 11000 and a 15000.  What I know about the 500e is from reading and hearing friends who own them talk about them.   I do find Janome machines to be excellent, and I have a 100-stitch, computerized Kenmore that was made by Janome that I bought in January 1994, and it still works great…so that is a good part of my belief that Janome makes a great machine.  In my experience, they sew great and are quiet.  I also have a Pfaff 10-thread coverlocker, and have owned other brands of sewing machines, so I buy for features/specs/reliability/needs/costs, etc…not for brand loyalty specifically/exclusively.

In the event that you do find you need additional software, depending on what you need, there are some that are ‘modular’ software packages so you do not have to purchase more than you need.  Also, there are inexpensive software packages, and even free ones.

I assume you may have found a 500e nearby, but you mentioned the 15000, and it’s higher price, so  I don’t know if you’re set on the 500e for other reasons too, or pining the inability to purchase a 15000 due to the higher cost, but I thought I would mention that Ken’s Sewing Center (online but physically in AL) is hosting their ‘left in layaway’ sale starting 7/26/21.  You would need to call to find out what machines customers have opted not to complete their layaway purchases and so are available and the costs, but I do have friends who have purchased machines from Ken’s. Just a thought…they are a Janome dealer but not necessarily local to you…not local to me (FL) or my friends either. lol   I have purchased many things from them…just not machines so far.

Buying a new machine is an adventure…one which I hope you will enjoy!

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

Ann Jones

Good morning Lorrie

  I have the Janome 9450 and decided to keep the two functions separate by getting the 500E. Friends in my embroidery group have the 1500. I believe I have the best of the two worlds as it allows me to operate both machines without compromise..
The onboard editing works just fine for what I need. Hatch has its start up module that may interest you. Look at John Deer site.
There are others but I have not needed to use any outside of the machine as yet so cannot truly advise.
I like the embroidery finish of my 500E. The 550E has some tweeks but I can see no reason to upgrade to gain those.
Good luck with your decision.
Ann in Au

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Sunday, 25 July 2021, 9:01:35 AM ACST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

Ceil J

Lorrie,
I have the 15000 and do love it but if I had it to do over again, I would buy two separate machines.  I think there is a 550e with a super large hoop.  It's a tough decision! (I'd also get the Continental M7 but it seems you don't need a 4th machine!)
Welcome,
Ceil

On Sunday, 25 July 2021, 9:01:35 AM ACST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

SewingRose

Currently I own a Janome 500E and also a Janome 9450 which means I can continue sewing while the 500E is doing her thing and producing great embroidery, I have owned combo (sewing/embroidery) machines in the past but much prefer separate machines.  I notice you own Bernina software and actually I use Bernina software (free version) even though I've never owned a Bernina embroidery machine.  While I've owned various embroidery machines since 2001, they have all been Janome.

Not sure if you are aware that the 500E has been superseded by the 550E, so if you go to the Janome.com website there is a chart where you can compare both machines and decide if the few upgraded features are worth the extra cost to you.  Some dealers include additional bonuses and some countries include different hoops...mine only came with two hoops but the dealer was giving a discount on the other three hoops if they were purchased at the same time and I knew from past experience I would want them at sometime so went ahead.

You can download the owner's manual at the Janome.com site as well as YouTube videos posted by Janome.

Hope some of this helps?  good luck with your decision, but I doubt you would have any regrets with either machine.

Mary Sanerkin

Welcome to the site.  Like some of the others I have kept the two sewing functions separate.  I have a Janome 8900 and until recently I had the 500e embroidery machine which was great.  I changed it to the 550e as I needed the larger hoop.  I am so glad I did.  The larger hoop is much more versatile.   I also bought the Janome Artistic Digitizer software when it was on offer.   Great fun to use.

Happy sewing

Pixey

Hi Lorrie,
Welcome to the group. I have both the 15000 and the 500e and the S9 (which is a smaller version of the 15000) and they are all good machines with their individual idiosyncrasies.  Part of deciding which machine to get should be based on the type of machine embroidery you want to explore.  If you are looking at doing larger quilting style projects, the 15000 is the better machine because it has the larger throat area and rear drive system.  Plus a better quilting specific hoop.  But I find for garment or smaller machine embroidery projects (like placemats or craft projects), the 500e is often the better machine.

You mentioned the built in editor.  Both machines are similar in that respect.  They also come with a basic editor software that can be loaded on a PC.

A couple of things that to me are key differences between them from the mach8ne embroidery perspective…
The hoops for the 500e are much more compact and easy to handle when doing in-the-hoop or appliqué projects than those of the 15000.  There is also much less wasted stabilizer.  Also you may want to consider machine footprint needs.  Because the 15000 is larger and drives hoops from the back of the machine, you need a much larger table and space behind the machine than for the 500e.  The 500e is also much lighter for taking to classes or workshops than the 15000.  That said, it does not fit well in most sewing machine carriers.  The weight and size of the 15000 just was not practical for me to take on the road, which was why I ended up getting the S9 for workshops.

In terms of hoop size, I considered going up to the 550e, but I really like the RE28 hoop of the 500e and find it sufficiently large for most of my projects.  There are a lot of times that bigger is not necessarily better.  If I were to get a 550e, I would definitely want the “optional” RE28 hoop in addition to the larger one it comes with.  Also, the dimensions of the 500e and 550e hoops more closely align to the sizes of many commercially available designs.

A couple of other differences on the technical side.  I find that the 500e is not quite as smooth and quiet as the 15000.  However, it is not as loud as some of the other popular machine brands that people bring to the embroidery clubs at my sewing store.  Also, the maintenance requirements of the 15000 are minimal, but the 500e does require regular oiling at a number of points and include tipping the machine on end and removing covers.  There are some YouTube videos that show the oiling requirements that are very helpful or you can get your dealer to show you how to do it the first time (which is what I did).

Also, you may not realize it but there are several different versions of the 15000 floating around in the used machine market.  I skipped the 15000 version 1 but from what others have said in the past, it sometimes had problems with the automatic needle threader.  I bought a 15000 version 2 machine and then had it upgraded by my dealer to the same functionality as a version 3 machine (which came out shortly afterward and had some additional needle threader improvements and additional feet and specific functionality for quilting and ruler work).

Finally, you can load 3rd party designs onto the 500e by directly connecting the machine to a PC or using a USB thumb drive.  The 15000 offers the additional option of connecting wirelessly to your PC.

I hope this gives you a sense of some of the contrasts between the two machines.  If you have other specific questions, toss them out and I or other 500e owners can answer them.

Pixey

On Jul 24, 2021, at 5:35 PM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Good morning to all.  Thanks for letting me join.  I do not currently own a Janome, hence my reason for joining your group.  I am thinking about purchasing a 500E embroidery only machine.
My current machines are Viking Designer 1, and Bernina 180. I have never owned a Janome and have seen a few of the MC 15000 for sale locally.  They still have a hefty price tag of around $5,000.  I would like to stay under $3,000.00
I like the 500E .  One of the features is onboard editing.  I do own some older Bernina software that has some editing features, just alot of steps to accomplish removing or adding to a design.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Lorrie K.

Fran

Welcome to the group,

I also have the 15000 and if I had it to do over, I would buy separate machines. Good luck with your decision.

Lyn Quine

I have a 12000 15000 350e and a 6600P.   I wouldn’t do anything different.  I like the security of knowing I have another machine I can use if needs be.  I wouldn’t like to be without my embroidery capability or sewing.  I know I am extremely lucky to be in this position, that is until service time then I’m not quite so happy, I’ve got alternatives but I also have lots of service bills.

On 25 Jul 2021, at 14:41, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Welcome to the group,

I also have the 15000 and if I had it to do over, I would buy separate machines. Good luck with your decision.

katz11west

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts on various Janome machines and software.  Still doing some research on which model I will buy.  I am finding after having my Bernina V5 software for probably over 15 years there are some editing features that may be the answers to what I felt I needed in a machine with onboarding editing features in my next machine.  I am assuming (and you know what they say about that...lol) that Janomes are all  USB compatible?  Do I download designs to a thumb drive and insert into the embroidery machine?  Guess this sounds like a dumb question but right now using older machines I am limited to floppy disks for the D1 and a cable between my Bernina and the computer.

Thanks
Lorrie

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have the Janome 15000 and 9450 and both has USB ports. The 15000 also supports cable input from the computer. The scenario you described regarding the embroidery machine is correct. Once the design is loaded into memory it can also be stored in the machine for future use. If I remember correctly on the 15000 you should actually load the design into memory and remove the flash drive.

Vikki

Houston, TX