New - Magic Bobbin Washers

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

We've never used them, so I can't say for sure whether they work. However from a strictly technical point of view (and I am a technician who DOES NOT sew) they don't make much sense to me. Backlash occurs when the bobbin keeps moving after the hook has stopped. How is reducing the friction under the bobbin going to stop it sooner? Bird nesting comes from the top thread, not the bobbin. I can't see how something under the bobbin is going to help that.

Stitches are formed by the needle thread whipping around the bobbin to form a stitch. If there is an extra "foreign" object between the bobbin and the bobbin case it changes the process. In my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, these washers are a fix for something that isn't broken.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

Jim, What do you think about using the teflon Magic Bobbin Washers with
the L bobbins? I got some for FM work --they are supposed to eliminate
backlash & bird's nests on back of quilt. Haven't used them yet though.

--
Vicki Jo

vicki chrobak

I appreciate your input Jim. I'll let you know if I ever see the need to try them & the outcome. However, I still wonder if they might help in the use of the pre-wound bobbins that we otherwise can't use.

--
Vicki Jo

We've never used them, so I can't say for sure whether they work.
However from a strictly technical point of view (and I am a technician
who DOES NOT sew) they don't make much sense to me. Backlash occurs when
the bobbin keeps moving after the hook has stopped. How is reducing the
friction under the bobbin going to stop it sooner? Bird nesting comes
from the top thread, not the bobbin. I can't see how something under the
bobbin is going to help that.

Stitches are formed by the needle thread whipping around the bobbin to
form a stitch. If there is an extra "foreign" object between the bobbin
and the bobbin case it changes the process. In my opinion, which is
worth what you paid for it, these washers are a fix for something that
isn't broken.

Grace Lubold <glubold@...>

Hi,   Just to throw in my experience....    I use  Magic Washers all of the time.   I don’t know how or why, but when I don’t use them in my machines, (12000, 11000, 7700,and 6600) I have bobbin problems.   I use only Janome bobbins.   The washers are especially necessary when using very fine threads, such as bottom line.   For me, the washers provided a cheap, easy way to end a chronic bobbin problem.       Grace Lubold

Joyce Golden

I also use them all the time.  Joyce Golden

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

What is the chronic bobbin problem that they fix? Inquiring minds want to know!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Lubold" <glubold@...> wrote:

Hi, Just to throw in my experience.... I use Magic Washers all of the time. I don’t know how or why, but when I don’t use them in my machines, (12000, 11000, 7700,and 6600) I have bobbin problems. I use only Janome bobbins. The washers are especially necessary when using very fine threads, such as bottom line. For me, the washers provided a cheap, easy way to end a chronic bobbin problem. Grace Lubold

Grace Lubold <glubold@...>

OOPS    message correction:    When I use the bobbin washers,  I have NO problems with bobbin “jumping”, thread snarles in the bobbin case,  or losing the thread end after using the cutter.    These things happened frequently with the very fine thread I like to use in the bobbin  (usually Bottom Line).    grace