From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 5:56:26 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] New machine thoughts

Watching the limited roll out info on the new TOL Janome. From what I can ascertain, one would need all new hoops, and I didn’t see AcuDesign in the software mix. I really don’t want to start anew. So expensive for feet, hoops, software. Unless i’m missing something, I think I’m gonna stay the course with my 15000. Thoughts?
Helen
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.  Albert Einstein

Pixey

So I didn’t expect to be interested, in the new machine, but I am. However, if the MSRP I just saw posted on another list is accurate, I will not be an early adopter unless I get a REALLY nice trade on my 15000 on top of a dealer discount.

As far as new hoops go, that is the norm with any machine. I am curious to see which hoops come with it. From one view of the screen, it appears there is a 10d, 20d, 28d, and 46d square/rectangular hoops in addition to the 10.6 x10.6 Quilting hoop. That is more intermediate hoops than you tend to get with other brands.

The stitch regulator designed to work with rulers and red dot positioning system are major steps up for Janome. Since it is 9mm, I am betting it will work with the “extra” 15000 feet, but definitely something I will be asking about at the launch.

Pixey

On Apr 19, 2022, at 6:29 PM, Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness@...> wrote:

Watching the limited roll out info on the new TOL Janome. From what I can ascertain, one would need all new hoops, and I didn’t see AcuDesign in the software mix. I really don’t want to start anew. So expensive for feet, hoops, software. Unless i’m missing something, I think I’m gonna stay the course with my 15000. Thoughts?
Helen
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

Patricia Ward

Helen,
I too am going to stay with my 15000 for quite a few reasons.  This new machine is very nice and almost luxurious but I don't really need it.  I think that the main selling feature they are banking on is the huge 11 x 18 inch hoop. I have read a few people excited about it for quilting.. my question is why not just get a midsized quilting machine unless they really always depend on embroidery for quilting.   That said, there is no way I could lift that machine; I don't have room for it in my small apartment; and truly I don't have all of those $$ to purchase it.   I have money into the 15000 in extra feet and accessories like the quilt binder.  I am happy with this machine because it does so very much.  And don't forget all of the great Stutsman Apps that we have for it...  I know it took Diane and Jim a lot of time to produce those and I wonder if they would be doing that for the M17.
What I think will be sad is if they discontinue the 15000 because it is a great machine even if it is no longer the TOL.  They really need to continue making them for the people who can't afford 20K for a sewing machine but still want a combo machine that does so very much.

So my 15000 will be staying with me and continue to be my very loved prized sewing machine.

Pat

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 7:29 PM Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Watching the limited roll out info on the new TOL Janome. From what I can ascertain, one would need all new hoops, and I didn’t see AcuDesign in the software mix. I really don’t want to start anew. So expensive for feet, hoops, software. Unless i’m missing something, I think I’m gonna stay the course with my 15000. Thoughts?
Helen
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.  Albert Einstein

Lyn Quine

The machine does look interesting but I think it will be a while before it reaches the UK shores. My worry is, for all that money how long will it be before they shelve it for the next one. They’ve shelved the 12000, 14000, 15000, they’ve also shelved and no longer support the Digitiser V5.5. I couldn’t get it upstairs let alone fit it in my room, so thankfully that’s an easy decision for me plus the cost far extends beyond my very small pension. I seem to remember a dealer telling me the 15000 was the TOL and would be upgraded, not superseded, an important selling point for me at the time. It’s been upgraded once, which was a much easier thing to do than buying a new machine.

I still have much to explore on my machine, which is just 6 years old, and still much loved. If I win the lottery and buy a bigger house and have a large sewing room, I might consider it, but I won’t hold out for it. A bigger house just means more housework, more rooms to leave untidy. 😂

On 20 Apr 2022, at 00:29, Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness@...> wrote:

Watching the limited roll out info on the new TOL Janome. From what I can ascertain, one would need all new hoops, and I didn’t see AcuDesign in the software mix. I really don’t want to start anew. So expensive for feet, hoops, software. Unless i’m missing something, I think I’m gonna stay the course with my 15000. Thoughts?
Helen
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

Cat - N

It's looking interesting.  I'm not sure it's something I need to get or get right away, but I will give it a full evaluation based on my own needs and budget.  There are definitely things I like about it, but I think it will be easier to evaluate once the machines are available to touch.  I'm very happy with my 15000 already.

I’m very interested to actually see it and having time to compare full specs.  It doesn’t appear to have a free arm and I make garments as well as quilts, embroidery, etc., and if that’s true, it would not be a replacement machine for me.   It's also very big, and my space is very limited at present.  I am looking forward to a decent demonstration, and petting the machine in person.

- Cat (FL)

[...]

linynp

Same here. But disappointed in that they kept the small bobbin and doesn’t have projector for positioning. I am presuming they have the better uptake lever that the m7 has. And it gigantic!  I’d have to rearrange my whole studio and get a table wide enough for it.

Judi Rutherford

I am very happy with my 15000 and see no reason to upgrade.  I still don't use all of the features on my 15000 why would I want more :-).  To me The 15000 is a known quantity with great support, a large user knowledge base and Jim's Apps are awesome.  I have time and $$$ invested itn he machine, extra feet and a sewing table that fits the machine.  I actually have no interest in starting from scratch with the Continental M17 when what I have works so well.

Judi

Virginia

I too have mixed feelings about the new Janome. In some respects it is somewhat overkill for what is offered.  The larger hoop is interesting but it does not make hooping a large quilt any easier to handle. The Janome website has a list of the features. Not many are new compared to our 15000QCP other than the stitch regulator and more decorative ,sewing and built in embroidery designs. Your detachable embroidery arm is large and bulky and honestly the robotic feature on our 15000QCP and previous machines was something Janome was a feature most of us loved about our Janomes'.  There is no free arm and no mention of the one stitch stop feature I use all the time.  Perhaps in the future I will feel different but right now the priceof $22,000 is not in my budget. Am anxious to read what others are thinking.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

Pam Davison

$22000 would be a deal breaker for me.  I believe my dealer said it would be about $13000. Time will tell

[...]

Waiting until it’s been in use for a while, and some of the faults cleared up, and V2 manufactured, I always feel buying straight off the launch show is a little risky especially if you have to sell your working machines to achieve it, could be left without a machine whilst the new one is sorted out.

$13000 is a bit cheap given that I think the quilt maker 15000 was around that price, this one is in competition with the Brother Luminaire which can scan and digitise, not sure if it has a stitch regulator though.

Perhaps now is the time to take advantage of the trade ins for this new machine, might pick up a bit of a bargain for a 15000.  I know a few people who have their dealers looking for secondhand 15000s.

On 20 Apr 2022, at 15:09, Pam Davison <pamyjo2001@...> wrote:

[...]

Regarding the large quilt hooping, I am wondering how long DIME will take to jump on this design and start offering their magnetic monster hoops for it.

I was in a My Quilt Embellisher “workshop” back in January and they were promoting the magnetic hoops.  I typed in the chat box that I had a Janome 15000 but was waiting to see if the new TOL Janome was bringing out would be more friendly for the DIME magnetic hoops.  The moderator chimed in and said they were watching this as well.

Pixey

On Apr 20, 2022, at 7:33 AM, Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier@...> wrote:

[...]

favymtz

You're exactly right Pixey! Dime is likely going to have a magnetic hoop(s) out for that new machine in short order!!!
That will be tempting some of us as well!!!
Favymtz

--
Favymtz

Pam Davison

I believe each dealer has flexibility in their pricing and i can assure you that i paid thousands less than $13000 and i believe bought my machine within a few months of its release.

I love new machines and under no circumstances would i pay $22000 for this new machine (or others in its category) even if my dealer gave me a phenomenal trade in deal.

Even i have limits 😀

[...]

The more bells and whistles the more expensive to repair.

[...]

SewingRose

If this new model is US$22000, today's cash conversion rate means it will cost around Au$31000, so there is absolutely NO way it's in my future...but that's Ok too because I bought a slightly used 15000 V3.0 QM a few days ago after hearing the new model would be an M7+embroidery, which I knew meant a huge footprint.

It's not the machine for me for several reasons, there is so much black when one of the best things about Janome machines (imho) has been the white cases and also the size, I am moving from a 9450 and 500E to a 15000 to give more space, so introducing such a large machine would turn that on it's head!  I also never buy a newly released model of anything, not only sewing machines, preferring to wait until any bugs are ironed out.

My comments are not sour grapes in any way and for anyone buying the M17 I wish them all the best and hope they have lots of sewing fun with it.

Wilma Al-uqdah

Jim,

I am curious if you have any comments about the M17?  I noticed when Janome put up the comparison chart they did not insert the weight for the M17. Not have a free arm is not good.

Wilma

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 5:20 PM, SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Stutsman

I have no more information than what’s already been released. We’re not making any decisions until we see it in person. Given the current economy, I guess they have already factored in rampant inflation in the price. This could wind up like the car situation, where used cars are worth almost as much as new ones. Those with a 15000 to sell may do well. But this is only speculation - I’m not an economist, although I don’t think anyone truly knows what’s coming.

Pam Davison

Got a email from my dealer saying that the MSRP is $22999 😲 But there would be a sale price. The sale price is unknown at this time.

 It would have to be one heck of a sale price before trade for me to buy this machine.