Topics

Needle threader problem on the 15000


William D Lawson
 

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.  Quilting has been
my “sanity saver” during this time of isolation.  

I have been working on an embroidered Christmas Tree skirt with LOTS of thread changes.

My threader has always worked perfectly until yesterday.  I know some have had problems 
from the beginning. I’ve seen suggestions for slightly bending your hook so that it hits the hole 
correctly but I don’t know how to keep the threader in the down position so I can adjust it. 

Jim, is this something I can do on my own or should I just take it in?  My repair man is really backed up.
My machine would be sitting in the shop for 5 to 6 weeks.  I would be lost without it for that long. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for being here for us. We all really appreciate all you do.
Gwen Lawson

ps....  I recently purchased a Quilt Maker Pro 18 with Prostitcher Premium and it is amazing!!!
 I am such a happy quilter.


Jim Stutsman
 
Edited

Needle threaders are a perpetual source of trouble. Janome has gone through a number of attempts to make one that works every time, but the fundamental problem is that they all require a very small piece of metal that either pokes the thread through the eye (early models from 6000-9000) or hooks it from behind and pulls it through the eye. Because the metal element is very small it can bend pretty easily. If the needle is misaligned just a little, it gets bent. If the needle is smaller than size 11 it may not go through and will bend. Factor in the motorized feature, and you have issues of it lining up properly. So here's what you do:

1. Put in a size 11 needle and push the threader button. (Nearly all service techs use size 14 per Janome recommendations, but that just sets you up to fail with 11.)
2. Turn the machine OFF. It won't go up now.
3. Get a STRONG light and magnifying glass so you can see the hook. It will be either left or right of the needle. If it is THROUGH the needle, then the hook is likely broken off and you'll need a new part. Stop here.
4. Very gently pull the needle forward and left or right so it lines up and the hook goes through the eye. Pull as little as possible, so as not to bend the needle. That would negate your efforts.
5. Once the needle is through the eye you can use a very small flat blade screwdriver to nudge it left or right, as needed to straighten it. Patience is critical, work slowly.
6. When you think you've got it, turn the machine back on and try it. Don't be discouraged if it still fails. This is a very fiddly process. I've spent upwards of an hour getting a threader to work right.

In the event that it still doesn't work, or if you need a replacement part, order a separate threader such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y331BM9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_d6EeGbGNJVA6X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
You gotta love that it's a 6-piece package and they show 7 on the page!
That will keep you going. Next call your dealer and tell him/her that you want the threader fixed, but you can't give up the machine. Ask the repair tech to call you the day before he/she will have time to do it and book an appointment time to take it in to get it fixed while you wait. (Bonus points - when I got swamped with repairs every year after everyone finished Christmas sewing, we went to repairs by appointment so they didn't all come at once. You might suggest that.) When you take the machine in, take along some muffins, a plate of brownies, or even a small cake. This will help!


William D Lawson
 

Ok. Now I have to get my courage up to try this fix.  I may just use the plastic threader until I finish my Christmas Tree skirt.  Thank you so much, Jim. You are the best!


Sent from Frontier Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 5:55 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Needle threaders are a perpetual source of trouble. Janome has gone through a number of attempts to make one that works every time, but the fundamental problem is that they all require a very small piece of metal that either pokes the thread through the eye (early models from 6000-9000) or hooks it from behind and pulls it through the eye. Because the metal element is very small it can bend pretty easily. If the needle is misaligned just a little, it gets bent. If the needle is smaller than size 11 it may not go through and will bend. Factor in the motorized feature, and you have issues of it lining up properly. So here's what you do:

1. Put in a size 11 needle and push the threader button. (Nearly all service techs use size 14 per Janome recommendations, but that just sets you up to fail with 11.)
2. Turn the machine OFF. It won't go up now.
3. Get a STRONG light and magnifying glass so you can see the hook. It will be either left or right of the needle. If it is THROUGH the needle, then the hook is likely broken off and you'll need a new part. Stop here.
4. Very gently pull the needle forward and left or right so it lines up and the hook goes through the eye. Pull as little as possible, so as not to bend the needle. That would negate your efforts.
5. Once the needle is through the eye you can use a very small flat blade screwdriver to nudge it left or right, as needed to straighten it. Patience is critical, work slowly.
6. When you think you've got it, turn the machine back on and try it. Don't be discouraged if it still fails. This is a very fiddly process. I've spent upwards of an hour getting a threader to work right.

In the event that it still doesn't work, or if you need a replacement part, order a separate threader such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y331BM9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_d6EeGbGNJVA6X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
You gotta love that it's a 6-piece package and they show 7 on the page!
That will keep you going. Next call your dealer and tell him/her that you want the threader fixed, but you can't give up the machine. Ask the repair tech to call you the day before he/she will have time to do it and book an appointment time to take it in to get it fixed while you wait. (Bonus points - when I got swamped with repairs every year after everyone finished Christmas sewing, we went to repairs by appointment so they didn't all come at once. You might suggest that.) When you take the machine in, take along some muffins, a plate of brownies, or even a small cake. This will help!


Helen Aarness
 

Thank you for the directions! I fiddled with it for about an hour. I used very powerful reader glasses and a flashlight. Once I could see what you were explaining, I just moved ahead slowly. It works perfectly now! Yay! First time it has worked since my “Quiltmaker” upgrade.


On Jan 29, 2021, at 9:49 AM, William D Lawson <lawsonfox@...> wrote:

 Ok. Now I have to get my courage up to try this fix.  I may just use the plastic threader until I finish my Christmas Tree skirt.  Thank you so much, Jim. You are the best!


Sent from Frontier Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 5:55 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Needle threaders are a perpetual source of trouble. Janome has gone through a number of attempts to make one that works every time, but the fundamental problem is that they all require a very small piece of metal that either pokes the thread through the eye (early models from 6000-9000) or hooks it from behind and pulls it through the eye. Because the metal element is very small it can bend pretty easily. If the needle is misaligned just a little, it gets bent. If the needle is smaller than size 11 it may not go through and will bend. Factor in the motorized feature, and you have issues of it lining up properly. So here's what you do:

1. Put in a size 11 needle and push the threader button. (Nearly all service techs use size 14 per Janome recommendations, but that just sets you up to fail with 11.)
2. Turn the machine OFF. It won't go up now.
3. Get a STRONG light and magnifying glass so you can see the hook. It will be either left or right of the needle. If it is THROUGH the needle, then the hook is likely broken off and you'll need a new part. Stop here.
4. Very gently pull the needle forward and left or right so it lines up and the hook goes through the eye. Pull as little as possible, so as not to bend the needle. That would negate your efforts.
5. Once the needle is through the eye you can use a very small flat blade screwdriver to nudge it left or right, as needed to straighten it. Patience is critical, work slowly.
6. When you think you've got it, turn the machine back on and try it. Don't be discouraged if it still fails. This is a very fiddly process. I've spent upwards of an hour getting a threader to work right.

In the event that it still doesn't work, or if you need a replacement part, order a separate threader such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y331BM9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_d6EeGbGNJVA6X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
You gotta love that it's a 6-piece package and they show 7 on the page!
That will keep you going. Next call your dealer and tell him/her that you want the threader fixed, but you can't give up the machine. Ask the repair tech to call you the day before he/she will have time to do it and book an appointment time to take it in to get it fixed while you wait. (Bonus points - when I got swamped with repairs every year after everyone finished Christmas sewing, we went to repairs by appointment so they didn't all come at once. You might suggest that.) When you take the machine in, take along some muffins, a plate of brownies, or even a small cake. This will help!


William D Lawson
 

With Jim’s excellent directions, I fixed my needle threader!!  He is amazing. Now I can finish my Snowman Christmas Tree Skirt.  Thank you so very much!
Gwen

Back to the sewing room. 🥰🤪🙃😍😄


Sent from Frontier Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 11:12 AM, William D Lawson <lawsonfox@...> wrote:

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.  Quilting has been
my “sanity saver” during this time of isolation.  

I have been working on an embroidered Christmas Tree skirt with LOTS of thread changes.

My threader has always worked perfectly until yesterday.  I know some have had problems 
from the beginning. I’ve seen suggestions for slightly bending your hook so that it hits the hole 
correctly but I don’t know how to keep the threader in the down position so I can adjust it. 

Jim, is this something I can do on my own or should I just take it in?  My repair man is really backed up.
My machine would be sitting in the shop for 5 to 6 weeks.  I would be lost without it for that long. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for being here for us. We all really appreciate all you do.
Gwen Lawson

ps....  I recently purchased a Quilt Maker Pro 18 with Prostitcher Premium and it is amazing!!!
 I am such a happy quilter.


saba_cat2
 

Jim, thanks for the instructions.

You may have addressed this in the past, but my needle threader issue involves having to raise the needle ever so slightly in order for the needle threader to thread the needled.  Brand and size does not matter.  Technician says there's no adjust that can be made.  Seem to recall you saying that this is an adjustment that the tech could make.  

Can you shed some insight on this?

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 09:10:20 AM PST, William D Lawson <lawsonfox@...> wrote:


With Jim’s excellent directions, I fixed my needle threader!!  He is amazing. Now I can finish my Snowman Christmas Tree Skirt.  Thank you so very much!
Gwen

Back to the sewing room. 🥰🤪🙃😍😄


Sent from Frontier Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 11:12 AM, William D Lawson <lawsonfox@...> wrote:

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.  Quilting has been
my “sanity saver” during this time of isolation.  

I have been working on an embroidered Christmas Tree skirt with LOTS of thread changes.

My threader has always worked perfectly until yesterday.  I know some have had problems 
from the beginning. I’ve seen suggestions for slightly bending your hook so that it hits the hole 
correctly but I don’t know how to keep the threader in the down position so I can adjust it. 

Jim, is this something I can do on my own or should I just take it in?  My repair man is really backed up.
My machine would be sitting in the shop for 5 to 6 weeks.  I would be lost without it for that long. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for being here for us. We all really appreciate all you do.
Gwen Lawson

ps....  I recently purchased a Quilt Maker Pro 18 with Prostitcher Premium and it is amazing!!!
 I am such a happy quilter.


Jim Stutsman
 

There are two possible adjustments to fix this. First the needle bar height needs to be checked. If the needle bar is slightly too low the threader won’t hit the eye. If the needle bar is at the right height, then it may not be stopping at the highest point. That can also be adjusted. Neither adjustment is difficult, and both are in the Janome service manual.