Needle question

Pixey

My old but still runs wonderful Janome MyLock 644D serger calls for an HAx1SP needle. In looking at the Organ catalogue online, the only difference between the HAx1SP (which my dealer doesn’t currently have) and the HAx1 (which my dealer does have) is that the HAx1SP has a small ball point and the HAx1 has a regular point The dimensions are all the same.

So it seems to me that unless I am serging knits, there should be no harm in using the HAx1 needles to serge woven fabrics. Is my logic sound or am I missing something?

Pixey

Jim Stutsman

Nope, you're on the money. The SP just indicates ball point, but the size is the same.

Pixey

Thanks Jim!

On Jun 11, 2021, at 5:34 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Nope, you're on the money. The SP just indicates ball point, but the size is the same.

HEATHER COWAN

This is Information from Marathon threads Canada.  There is some difference in shape of point and size of eye.  Sounds like Janome purple tip to me.  Sorry for font size don’t know how to make smaller.

15x1-SP Flat Shank for Stretch or Elastic Fabrics

Also called HAx1 SP. This needle will work on any home serger that uses a flat shank needle. This is a special version of the 15x1 for stretch or elastic materials and tightly woven knits. It is made to higher standards, it has a snake's head shape due to a combination of a slightly bulged eye and a slightly reduced blade above the eye. The bulged eye opens a slightly larger space in the material and the thinner blade above the eye reduces contact between the material and the needle. This reduces needle heat-up and prevents skip stitches.

On Jun 11, 2021, at 3:33 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

My old but still runs wonderful Janome MyLock 644D serger calls for an HAx1SP needle. In looking at the Organ catalogue online, the only difference between the HAx1SP (which my dealer doesn’t currently have) and the HAx1 (which my dealer does have) is that the HAx1SP has a small ball point and the HAx1 has a regular point The dimensions are all the same.

So it seems to me that unless I am serging knits, there should be no harm in using the HAx1 needles to serge woven fabrics. Is my logic sound or am I missing something?

Pixey

Pixey

Thanks Heather.  This is interesting.  I will look at them more closely under a magnifying glass.

Pixey

On Jun 11, 2021, at 5:59 PM, HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...> wrote:

This is Information from Marathon threads Canada.  There is some difference in shape of point and size of eye.  Sounds like Janome purple tip to me.  Sorry for font size don’t know how to make smaller.

Lyn Quine

I have a Silver 720D serger/Overlocker which called for the same needles,I was told by silver to use the standard needles I use on my sewing machines, and I could use normal ball points to or stretch needles.

I also have a Babylock Ovation cover lock, which takes ELX705 needles they look the same as my normal needles but labelled serger. Jim can you tell me how they are different to my normal microtex or normal needles.  I have bought some ELX705 stretch needles for it but they only recommend ELX705 80/12 or 90/14 will I damage the babylock by using the stretch version?

On 11 Jun 2021, at 23:34, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Nope, you're on the money. The SP just indicates ball point, but the size is the same.

Jim Stutsman

We were BabyLock dealers very early in our dealership, and only for a couple of years. At that time the needles used by BL were very different from standard machine needles. I remember that vividly, because in servicing a Memory Craft 8000 I accidentally put in a BL serger needle. I spent quite some time trying to adjust what appeared to be a very out-of-spec needle bar height, before realizing my error. I don't know anything about EXL705 needles, but if the length of the needle, position of the eye, and flat appears the same they might work. If the diameter of the needle is different it might be hard to get it the needle clamp. If you want to try a household needle, just turn the hand wheel through several cycles, slowly, to make sure the loopers don't hit the needle. If everything is clear it should be OK.

Lyn Quine

Thank you Jim I’ll have a look at that, ELX705 needles aren’t as easy to find as my usual needles.  It’s Amazon or the odd quilt shops here in the UK.

On 12 Jun 2021, at 12:33, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

We were BabyLock dealers very early in our dealership, and only for a couple of years. At that time the needles used by BL were very different from standard machine needles. I remember that vividly, because in servicing a Memory Craft 8000 I accidentally put in a BL serger needle. I spent quite some time trying to adjust what appeared to be a very out-of-spec needle bar height, before realizing my error. I don't know anything about EXL705 needles, but if the length of the needle, position of the eye, and flat appears the same they might work. If the diameter of the needle is different it might be hard to get it the needle clamp. If you want to try a household needle, just turn the hand wheel through several cycles, slowly, to make sure the loopers don't hit the needle. If everything is clear it should be OK.

Pixey

Actually the serger I just sold (Janome 1100D) and my CoverPro use ELx705 needles.  So does my mom’s Janome 1200D.  I don’t think the ELx705 needles are interchangeable with regular sewing needles on these sergers.  The back of the needle is very different from a regular sewing needle.  The ELx705 has a longer and slightly different shaped indented area above the eye, as well as being a little flatter with a groove that runs all the way down the back.  I thing this is to accommodate the chaining finger.

You MIGHT be able to use a standard needle if all you were doing was basic 2,3,4 thread safety overlock serging  but I think if your machine is designed to also do flat lock, chain stitching, or cover lock stitches, you risk the back of the needle colliding with other moving parts.

Schmetz makes an ELx705 that is generally not that hard to find at sewing chain stores.  Ironically, the sergers requiring these needles were the only Janome machines I have ever had that actually came with Schmetz needles and did not appear to be optimized to Organ needles.

Pixey

On Jun 12, 2021, at 6:58 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

[...]

Good catch. Thanks Pixey!

HEATHER COWAN

If you google Marathon Threads Canada. they are in Winnipeg, there is a menu for needles and then one for flat and one for round.  They give a great description of Organ needles.  EXL 705 has a longer scarf and two grooves ……. I love this site and as a Canuck it is nice to have them here in Canada.  Their Embroidery supplies are great and I get all my needles here and thread …….

ELx705 Flat Shank Serger and Cover Stitching Needles

This flat shank needle is made specifically for cover stitching and serging, e.g. for sergers that do cover stitches. This needle has a slightly longer scarf and 2 grooves.
We stock this needle in a Ball Point and also a Sharp (Regular) Point.

Lyn Quine

Thanks Pixey, Inhadnt noticed many differences in the needles to be honest.  I’m in the UK getting ELX needles isn’t so easy.  I haven’t found many places to buy them although I can get them through Amazon.  It may get easier over time, Babylock isn’t as popular in the UK as in the States, we don’t have the Babylock embroidery and sewing machines here, we just seem to have the servers and cover lock machines.  A lot of our parts and accessories come in from Germany.

On 12 Jun 2021, at 15:35, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Good catch. Thanks Pixey!

Claire Schutz

I have always used Schmetz ELx705 on Elna 925 DCX which is part of Janome for approx 24yrs, no problem,Claire S.