Needle Position

katz11west

My new to me Janome 350E needle position is always on the left side of the embroidery foot.  I just noticed this the other day.  Since this is my first embroidery only machine is that the position it should always be in?

thanks
Lorrie/Tampa

Jim Stutsman

The 350E uses the same embroidery foot as the Janome combination machines that both sew and embroider, so it has a 7mm wide opening. The needle plate has a single hole, since the machine does not zigzag. The foot is placed so that the needle is on the left side of the opening to provide maximum support to the fabric. So the left position is normal, and cannot be changed. Check the presser foot carefully. Being plastic, it is subject to being cracked or nicked by a needle strike. If that happens it will snag stitches when the hoop is going in a direction that will pull the thread over the damaged area. You'll have embroidery problems that may look like tension or the design being bad, but the foot is the cause. If that foot has any damage you should replace it.

Lyn Quine

Yes that is the correct position.  An embroidery machine isn’t like a sewing machine, the needle is fixed the hoop moves to make the stitches.

On 19 Jun 2022, at 15:37, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

My new to me Janome 350E needle position is always on the left side of the embroidery foot.  I just noticed this the other day.  Since this is my first embroidery only machine is that the position it should always be in?

thanks
Lorrie/Tampa

katz11west

Thanks Jim and Lynn, glad to hear it is in the normal position.