needle left position

vicki chrobak

I was working on a project this morning which I needed to have my foot to the right of the fabric & stitching to the far left--zigzag or satin stitch. Basically, I am working on a clock with a foam core center. ( I had to work counter clockwise because of the clock's diameter). I had about 3/8" to 1/2" fabric around the circumference that I wanted to finish the edges on. But the foot's left toe along with the middle zigzag needle position wouldn't let me work close enough to the foam core ( because of its height). Right now I'm hand - stitching the edge. Probably I've overlooked something obvious as to which stitch & foot to use because I'm new to Janome. Guess I was spoiled by Viking with being able to set needle positions. Any ideas?

--
Vicki Jo

Maria Boyle

Hi Vicki

I googled and all I could find was that the Horizon 12000 has 91 needle positions. I got this machine in November, but haven't done any sewing on it yet, Just embroidery. I would think that there is a way to move the needle over. Good question.

I will look at my machine's manual when I get a chance, cause I am curious too. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have that option.

María

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 8, 2012, at 2:10 PM, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@cox.net> wrote:

I was working on a project this morning which I needed to have my foot
to the right of the fabric & stitching to the far left--zigzag or satin
stitch. Basically, I am working on a clock with a foam core center. (
I had to work counter clockwise because of the clock's diameter). I had
about 3/8" to 1/2" fabric around the circumference that I wanted to
finish the edges on. But the foot's left toe along with the middle
zigzag needle position wouldn't let me work close enough to the foam
core ( because of its height). Right now I'm hand - stitching the edge.
Probably I've overlooked something obvious as to which stitch & foot to
use because I'm new to Janome. Guess I was spoiled by Viking with being
able to set needle positions. Any ideas?

--
Vicki Jo

Go to the Applications screen (T-Shirt) then pick SEAMING -> KNIT -> LIGHTWEIGHT and change the length to 0.5 (or to suit fabric) and width up to 9. This will do the zig zag from the left.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

I was working on a project this morning which I needed to have my foot
to the right of the fabric & stitching to the far left--zigzag or satin
stitch. Basically, I am working on a clock with a foam core center. (
I had to work counter clockwise because of the clock's diameter). I had
about 3/8" to 1/2" fabric around the circumference that I wanted to
finish the edges on. But the foot's left toe along with the middle
zigzag needle position wouldn't let me work close enough to the foam
core ( because of its height). Right now I'm hand - stitching the edge.
Probably I've overlooked something obvious as to which stitch & foot to
use because I'm new to Janome. Guess I was spoiled by Viking with being
able to set needle positions. Any ideas?

--
Vicki Jo

Maria Boyle

Hello Again Vicki,

I was so curious, I had to go to my sewing room and turn my machine on. YES YOU CAN! :)
Look on the control panel. At the very top you will see 4 icons. The very first one on the left, click on it. Then your choices are needle position, stitch length & tension.

Hope this helps

[...]

Guess I had a big duh moment Jim. I hadn't played much in that area so didn't even think to look there. You are an angel.

--
Vicki Jo

o to the Applications screen (T-Shirt) then pick SEAMING -> KNIT
-> LIGHTWEIGHT and change the length to 0.5 (or to suit fabric) and
width up to 9. This will do the zig zag from the left.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Diane is the angel. I'm merely the scribe who writes the post!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

Guess I had a big duh moment Jim. I hadn't played much in that area so
didn't even think to look there. You are an angel.

--
Vicki Jo

o to the Applications screen (T-Shirt) then pick SEAMING -> KNIT
-> LIGHTWEIGHT and change the length to 0.5 (or to suit fabric) and
width up to 9. This will do the zig zag from the left.

vicki chrobak

Thanks Maria. That works for the straight stitch but not zigzag. I played around with Jim's answer & it looks as if it will work except for the lack of a foot that won't hit the foamcore. Something like the M foot but in reverse.

--
Vicki Jo

Hello Again Vicki,

I was so curious, I had to go to my sewing room and turn my machine on. YES YOU CAN! :)

Look on the control panel. At the very top you will see 4 icons. The
very first one on the left, click on it. Then your choices are needle
position, stitch length& tension.

Hope this helps

Mar�a

vicki chrobak

Jim, Well then both Diane & the scribe are angels! Perhaps one of you could hint to Janome about an edge-stitching foot in reverse of M?

--
Vicki Jo

Diane is the angel. I'm merely the scribe who writes the post!

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

You can use the G foot. Position the guide of the foot on the edge of your piece. Set the zig zag so it starts at that edge and set the width as needed, using the Application screen mentioned earlier. If you get the Ditch Quilting Foot part #202087003 that could also work. There is an edge stitch foot (SE), part #202100003 in the optional accessory brochure. It may be available now.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

Jim, Well then both Diane & the scribe are angels! Perhaps one of you
could hint to Janome about an edge-stitching foot in reverse of M?

--
Vicki Jo

Diane is the angel. I'm merely the scribe who writes the post!

vicki chrobak

Thanks Jim, I'll check them out.

--
Vicki Jo