Topics

Needle Juddered!

Pru Joy

I was sewing a loop, onto a tortilla warmer that I was making, so it was going through about 14 layers of cotton + wadding, when the needle juddered & I didn’t force it any further.

I think the needle may have been a bit blunt & just couldn’t do any more. I have thrown it out but it wasn’t bent. Has anyone had such a “judder event”?

--
🌈🍒💞🌼❤️

blue_lak

Yes, when paper piecing and the needle hit a heavy multi-layer intersection with a lot of built up thread besides paper and fabric. I think it's the machine sensor realizing there was something it couldn't readily penetrate, ie an obstruction. If what you're sewing causes the machine to do that more than once, then it's safe to assume it's just too heavy and you run the risk of causing damage or messing up the timing. Jim can clarify and add more specific info in that regard.
Is it possible to modify how you are sewing all that together? Perhaps sew 3-4 layers together, and then sandwich those together and sew around the edges? As with garment construction, you could trim a layer or two around the outer edges of each sandwich to reduce bulk and then sew all sandwiches together?
Jan in MD

onlinesewing@...

This sort of event is relatively rare, but it can definitely happen with that many layers and a bad needle. The sort of thickness is more in line with a commercial machine. A simple rule of thumb is to just try turning the hand wheel through the layers before you even thread the needle. If you have difficulty doing that, don't try to sew it. You risk blowing a fuse in the power supply, which necessitates a trip to the technician. If the needle is deflected and bends you risk damaging the bobbin case and/or hook race which leads to more expensive repairs. If you do manage to get the needle through, GO SLOW! I would set the speed control as low as it will go. With that many layers it might be better to go with a metal grommet and a hook!

Carole Hollmann

I've had this "juttering" happen a couple of times with heavy fabric and a brand new, heavy-duty needle.  Since one of Janome's favorite demonstration "tricks" is to go from sewing sheer fabric to sewing through fairly heavy leather, customers assume the machines are capable of sewing fairly heavy fabric.  I've had my machine for 3-1/2 years now and realize I bought a thoroughbred, but perhaps should have bought a workhorse.

Carole

Shirley Allen

Yes I have and it scares the bejebbers out of me.  Thank goodness it stillis OK but I check to be sure no damage is doned

cas <cassweet@...>

Yes! Scares me to death it makes so much noise, it sounds like a major catastrophe! I've done it trying to sew over bulky seams. I'm so scared of it now that I slow wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down anytime I come to an iffy seam, and stitch one stitch at a time.
Cas

Pru Joy

Oh my goodness, thank you for all the feedback on this needle judder thing, sort of good to know that others have also experienced it. Perhaps it does that to prevent a major needle break. I shall certainly be much more careful in the future, it does teach you that doesn’t it!

--
🌈🍒💞🌼❤️

Pru Joy

Just thought I would add that it was a Sew4Home project.  So it was using all Janome machine & feet.  And their instructions with photos definitely show them sewing through even more layers than what I did!  Yet with no warning to go slow, etc.  Mmm, not so impressed now although I do like the tortilla warmer. 👍🏻😊

      • God is Love🌈

--
🌈🍒💞🌼❤️

Pam Davison

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just thought I would add that it was a Sew4Home project.  So it was using all Janome machine & feet.  And their instructions with photos definitely show them sewing through even more layers than what I did!  Yet with no warning to go slow, etc.  Mmm, not so impressed now although I do like the tortilla warmer. 👍🏻😊

      • God is Love🌈

--
🌈🍒💞🌼❤️

cas <cassweet@...>

How do you work around it?

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

Pam Davison

Some of the same suggestions that was offered – going slow and testing if the needle will penetrate without any issues.  Also eliminating some of the bulk at the joining seams.

Once I was trying to embroider on the back of a denim jacket that had a flat fell seam going thru the middle of it and it wasn’t happy.  I finally decided to stop and embroider on a another piece of flat denim and used it as an applique to put on the back of the jacket.

Should I have had to do that – no but I love my machine enough to accept that limitation of this model.

Now that I have my 6700 I don’t worry about penetration power.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

Carole Hollmann

Are the 6700s less expensive than the 15000 model?

Carole

On Jun 30, 2018, at 8:19 PM, cas <cassweet@...> wrote:

How do you work around it?

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

Diane Stutsman

I haven’t had any trouble using a #14 or#16 jeans needle. The sharp point penetrates the layers easily.

Virginia

The 15000is a combo sewing/quilting and embroidery machine.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

Are the 6700s less expensive than the 15000 model?

Carole

On Jun 30, 2018, at 8:19 PM, cas <cassweet@...> wrote:

How do you work around it?

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

Pam Davison

Most definitely – around $2500.  It’s sewing only.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Are the 6700s less expensive than the 15000 model?

Carole

On Jun 30, 2018, at 8:19 PM, cas <cassweet@...> wrote:

How do you work around it?

I have learned that my 15000 doesn’t have the penetration power that I had with my Pfaff and now I know how to work around it.  When I started looking for a second machine I ended up buying the 6700 because of its penetration power.

cas <cassweet@...>

I never used to have trouble sewing with it. I made a purse and sewed through double layers of Jean weight denim, with batting and quilted lining, which was six layers, doubled at some seams.

Now, it balks at a meager patchwork seam, quilting cotton. It's been that way since I had it upgraded.
Cas

I haven’t had any trouble using a #14 or#16 jeans needle. The sharp point penetrates the layers easily.

cas <cassweet@...>

I don't think the upgrade caused it, I'm thinking some other adjustment he made has changed the way it sews. Thought I better follow up with an explanation of what I meant.
Cas

----- Juddered!

I never used to have trouble sewing with it. I made a purse and sewed through double layers of Jean weight denim, with batting and quilted lining, which was six layers, doubled at some seams.

Now, it balks at a meager patchwork seam, quilting cotton. It's been that way since I had it upgraded.
Cas

Vikki Youngmeyer

Does the 15000 have a height adjustment for the foot assembly? I know that long arm machines have such a feature, and I had that issue with my current system.

Vikki
Houston, TX

I never used to have trouble sewing with it. I made a purse and sewed through double layers of Jean weight denim, with batting and quilted lining, which was six layers, doubled at some seams.

Now, it balks at a meager patchwork seam, quilting cotton. It's been that way since I had it upgraded.
Cas

I haven’t had any trouble using a #14 or#16 jeans needle. The sharp point penetrates the layers easily.

Cheryl Paul

This has happened to me when hemming jeans for my husband.  When you do a double roll on the hem, the seam that is flat felled is extremely thick and the machine does not like it at all - that is any machine including my fabulous very old Pfaff 1222.  What I have learned to do is to "hammer" the seam as flat as I can, then turn the fly wheel by hand through the thickness, and it isn't easy or to use the needle up/down on step at a time to go through the thickness.  It is only 3 or 4 stitches on a hem.  However, the last time I did this a few weeks ago, was to serge off the hem and just do a single roll for the hem.  Once the jeans need an alteration, do we really care if the hem is "authentic" like they were when you bought them.  If it works and the job is neat, that's the important part.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

PS:  The 6700 is about ¼ the price of a 15000 or less if you hit a sale.