Topics

Needle Assembly Shudders

jfinn724@...

We are in need of help.

When we turn on our MC 15000 the needle assembly shudders and the display says to raise the presser foot and turn off the machine. The presser foot does not raise, and the machine’s buttons are ineffective. When we turn the machine back on the same thing happens.

We took the machine to the Janome dealer in Arlington Heights, IL. They are a Janome authorized service center. The technician had trouble diagnosing the problem and sought help directly from Janome. He was told the zig zag motor needed to be replaced. When the new motor arrived and he installed it, exactly the same problem occurred. They are still trying to get a fix from Janome. They have had the machine for 5 weeks now. Today they told me that they are trying to reach a specific knowledgeable individual at Janome, who has not returned their calls.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Jim, any thoughts?

Thank You!

Jim Stutsman

The needle shuddering is actually part of the power-on self-test. It moves the needle to the extreme left and right zigzag positions as part of the test.The fact that the needle assembly is shuddering would suggest that the zigzag motor is trying to move the needle, but not succeeding. Replacing the motor did not help, so either the gears that the stepper motor drives are bound up in some way (which your technician probably checked), or the transistor driving the stepper motor has failed. That would be on the A board, which is probably what they will suggest to fix it. This is a pretty rare problem, which is probably why they are trying to reach the head of technical services. Unfortunately they could have already ordered an A board and swapped it a couple of times in 5 weeks.

For the benefit of onlookers, any time the machine powers up to a "Raise presser foot and turn off" it means that one of the self-tests has failed. Usually this is because a sensor is just every so slightly out of adjustment, so the problem comes and goes, but if it is solid as in this case then service is the only option.

Vikki Youngmeyer

I had that happen with my 15000 about a year ago. I took it to the shop where I bought it and the owner who is also a Janome service technician ordered the part and replaced it, but it didn’t fix it. She had me bring in the box and we packaged it up and shipped it back to Janome in New Jersey. One week later and about $100 in shipping costs I got it back and it has been working since then. I don’t know if it was a bad part or if other parts were involved and replaced. It was covered under warranty except for the shipping.

If one has to ship it, I would suggest contacting Janome and see if your dealer can get a shipping tag from them as it might be cheaper than dropping off to the UPS store. I’m guessing, but when I had it shipped out it was one cost and when they shipped it back, the cost was half what I paid.

Vikki

Houston, TX

[...]

Thank you very much Jim. This is exactly what we needed. We have passed it on to our dealer.

I have been lurking here for several years, and have always admired the sharing of information and help that the members offer. I am now a grateful recipient.

John

Kim Cotcher

My machine has started to do this very thing! I am able to reset the needle position and it will start up. But maybe is is only going to get worse? Is there something I can do after it starts up to reset something?  Boy I am not looking forward to an expensive repair. Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of this machine. You are amazing. When I go to my service technician with my notes of the problem and the fixes he just looks at me. Lol! I do my research of this list and go prepared!  Have a great day!

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 5:39 PM <jfinn724@...> wrote:
Thank you very much Jim. This is exactly what we needed. We have passed it on to our dealer.

I have been lurking here for several years, and have always admired the sharing of information and help that the members offer. I am now a grateful recipient.

John

Jim Stutsman

Diagnosing problems remotely is pretty sketchy, so I can’t really answer your questions. I don’t know what you are doing to “reset the needle position”, but I’m guessing you are pushing the needle bar one way or another prior to turning it back on. If that works it could just be a lack of lubrication that causes the problem. Showing your technician what you do to fix it would help him or her to know what to look for. As long as there are no parts involved it should not be an expensive repair.