Need help quilting over thick seams


Ceil J
 

I really do want to quilt this using a design I bought from Designs by JuJu.  It's cute and perfect but I cannot get it to stitch out without a mess on the back (see photos) due to my thick seams.  In my defense, I did follow the pressing instructions to the letter from the Fat Quarter Shop.  This is their free Bats and Boos quilt. 
I am using the blue dot case, purple tip needle, tried a size 14 non stitch needle and nothing seems to help.  When I stitch it out on a flat sample piece it works fine but whenever a critical part of the quilting pattern hits one of my bulky seams, it seems to pull the upper thread to the bottom in a long loop.  It even cut the thread once.  I really do want to use the continuous pattern but am not sure how to fix this.  I have done what I can to further flatten the seams and have stitched this out AND removed all stitches 3 times.  I really don't want to try again without some advice.  The bat's eyes in the pattern use very small stitches but that's not always the problem.  I do have Hatch so I can try to alter the stitch size but that's gotten me in trouble before.  The black back photo was taken when I was using a yellow dot bobbin but the long threads are still the same.)
Any advice would be appreciated.


Pixey
 

I would try tightening the upper tension and slowing the machine down to the minimum speed so it has more time to pull the thread up through the seam layers when making the abrupt changes for the shapes.  You might also want to consider if there is any way to go with less contrasting thread, maybe using shades of gray instead of stark black and white.

Pixey


On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:30 AM, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

I really do want to quilt this using a design I bought from Designs by JuJu.  It's cute and perfect but I cannot get it to stitch out without a mess on the back (see photos) due to my thick seams.  In my defense, I did follow the pressing instructions to the letter from the Fat Quarter Shop.  This is their free Bats and Boos quilt. 
I am using the blue dot case, purple tip needle, tried a size 14 non stitch needle and nothing seems to help.  When I stitch it out on a flat sample piece it works fine but whenever a critical part of the quilting pattern hits one of my bulky seams, it seems to pull the upper thread to the bottom in a long loop.  It even cut the thread once.  I really do want to use the continuous pattern but am not sure how to fix this.  I have done what I can to further flatten the seams and have stitched this out AND removed all stitches 3 times.  I really don't want to try again without some advice.  The bat's eyes in the pattern use very small stitches but that's not always the problem.  I do have Hatch so I can try to alter the stitch size but that's gotten me in trouble before.  The black back photo was taken when I was using a yellow dot bobbin but the long threads are still the same.)
Any advice would be appreciated.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#29068) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [pixeyam@...]


favymtz
 

Ceil, why don't you try using the Red Case, that's what I usually use when I do embroidered quilting. I can see that your tension on the back of the quilt is too loose, I would think because of the loose tension blue case. The Yellow case would pull too much upper thread to the back of the quilt.
So far as the problem with the thick areas, maybe moving up to a #16 needle would help? Or slowing down the machine speed?
Another thing to possibly consider is the length of the stitches, are they exceedingly short? If so, that would cause stitching trouble at the thick areas. Because you have Hatch, you could try converting the stitches into objects and then changing the stitch length. Anything less than 2.2mm length could cause stitching problems on thick areas.
favymtz

--
Favymtz


Ceil J
 

Pixey,
Thanks.  I was going at the slowest speed and fought with myself over using black or the medium gray (it does look light) that looks great on the top.  But I will go with a darker gray to help the back look a little better.  I wanted the quilting to not be so much of a focus.  There definitely needs to be a better balance between the top and bottom threads.  I'm going to see what happens when I try the red dot case before playing with the tension but the results using the yellow and blue cases were oddly very similar although it was MUCH easier to remove the stitches when I had used the yellow dot case.  Thanks again for your help.  Will update.


On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:42 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would try tightening the upper tension and slowing the machine down to the minimum speed so it has more time to pull the thread up through the seam layers when making the abrupt changes for the shapes.  You might also want to consider if there is any way to go with less contrasting thread, maybe using shades of gray instead of stark black and white.

Pixey


On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:30 AM, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

I really do want to quilt this using a design I bought from Designs by JuJu.  It's cute and perfect but I cannot get it to stitch out without a mess on the back (see photos) due to my thick seams.  In my defense, I did follow the pressing instructions to the letter from the Fat Quarter Shop.  This is their free Bats and Boos quilt. 
I am using the blue dot case, purple tip needle, tried a size 14 non stitch needle and nothing seems to help.  When I stitch it out on a flat sample piece it works fine but whenever a critical part of the quilting pattern hits one of my bulky seams, it seems to pull the upper thread to the bottom in a long loop.  It even cut the thread once.  I really do want to use the continuous pattern but am not sure how to fix this.  I have done what I can to further flatten the seams and have stitched this out AND removed all stitches 3 times.  I really don't want to try again without some advice.  The bat's eyes in the pattern use very small stitches but that's not always the problem.  I do have Hatch so I can try to alter the stitch size but that's gotten me in trouble before.  The black back photo was taken when I was using a yellow dot bobbin but the long threads are still the same.)
Any advice would be appreciated.


Ceil J
 

Favy,
Thank you.  I'm working on the Hatch now.  As my memory isn't as good as it once was, in my 70's now, I will have to figure out about changing the design to be an object.  I think I select it and then hit the outline property.  I will do that and then change that stitch length.  For some reason the design comes in in 3 sections, and .087in which is close to 2.2mm.  But the stitches, especially around the eyes are very small, so I don't understand why the sections all give that size.  I plan to change to mm and then see what happens.  I don't think variable stitch length was selected.  It was going at the lowest speed but it's good that you mentioned #16 as I thought of that but then thought that perhaps my needle was too large and thought about taking it down to a 12. 
I think I will try all of these including a darker top gray.  I know that if I were using the scientific method, I'd try each one and see what it did but it's always stitched out perfectly on the sample material  and since it always looks great from the top, I lack the patience to take out all the stitches after it stitches for a fourth time.  Thanks again.  Will update.


On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Ceil, why don't you try using the Red Case, that's what I usually use when I do embroidered quilting. I can see that your tension on the back of the quilt is too loose, I would think because of the loose tension blue case. The Yellow case would pull too much upper thread to the back of the quilt.
So far as the problem with the thick areas, maybe moving up to a #16 needle would help? Or slowing down the machine speed?
Another thing to possibly consider is the length of the stitches, are they exceedingly short? If so, that would cause stitching trouble at the thick areas. Because you have Hatch, you could try converting the stitches into objects and then changing the stitch length. Anything less than 2.2mm length could cause stitching problems on thick areas.
favymtz

--
Favymtz


Diane Stutsman
 

Also check the height of the presser foot. Sometimes raising it a little helps.

I had a tiny burr in the center of the presser foot that I smoothed out with a round file. This stopped the snagging.


Ceil J
 

Interesting that you should say that.  A few weeks ago I had to take my machine to my dealer who is over 2.5 hours away because I could not figure out why it suddenly was doing some awful quilting.  These were Patchwork Pet designs from Anita Goodesign that I had been working on off and on.  I tried everything but could not get the same results as previously so I finally gave up.  Well it turns out that during the in-between time I had adjusted the presser foot too low for embroidery and set it that way.  Once my dealer fixed it (and the bobbin winder that I had broken for the second time, different issues) it worked perfectly. 
I always first assume the problem is ME and not the machine and that time I thought I had tried everything.  User error/ignorance as usual.  So, yes the pressure foot height was one of the first things I checked. ;)


On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:33 PM Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also check the height of the presser foot. Sometimes raising it a little helps.

I had a tiny burr in the center of the presser foot that I smoothed out with a round file. This stopped the snagging.






Ceil J
 

Diane,
Just realized I hadn't said thank you and I do appreciate your advice!  I should have asked you last time. :)
Ceil


On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:33 PM Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also check the height of the presser foot. Sometimes raising it a little helps.

I had a tiny burr in the center of the presser foot that I smoothed out with a round file. This stopped the snagging.






Ceil J
 

Need to report that I changed the needle to a size 16 (Superior Thread's Organ Topstitch), the thread is now black top and bottom and I tried to change the stitch lengths to 2.5.  Not sure if the stitches actually changed to that although Hatch claims that it did as some of the stitches are still very small.  I really wanted to use a medium gray thread but then I'd have to buy fabric for the back and I'm trying hard to use up my stash.   The quilt is finished, looks great and the only issue I had was when hanging it.  I made the sleeve 1.25 inches longer than the rod so I finally gave up and clipped to top of the sleeve on both sides and fray checked it. 
Thank you for all the great advice.  I was ready to give up but no one suggested that!  Thanks again!