Metallic threads

stitchnpatch

Hi - I haven't yet tried working with metallic threads on the 12000 but am looking forward to having a go when I have some time. I usually put the reel of thread on a vertical spool and wondered why Janome don't supply a vertical spool pin with the machine? Also my Isacord cones don't fit so I have to use a separate spool holder away from the machine whereas they do fit on my 350e.
Vicki

Fabric Therapy

My dealer sold the cone tree stand separately, and it was worth it to me as most of my spools are jumbo spools. I also do a lot of twin needle metallic embellishment on my projects lately for the holidays.

When I work with metallic threads to get the threads to "relax" I put my spools in over sized coffee cups on the floor and then thread both strands through a separate cone tree and then onto the telescoping antenna of the Horizon cone tree, and then thread the machine.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@...> wrote:

Hi - I haven't yet tried working with metallic threads on the 12000 but am looking forward to having a go when I have some time. I usually put the reel of thread on a vertical spool and wondered why Janome don't supply a vertical spool pin with the machine? Also my Isacord cones don't fit so I have to use a separate spool holder away from the machine whereas they do fit on my 350e.
Vicki

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

We tried something similar, putting the cones on the TV antenna on the roof, down through a vent in the attic, then through a heating duct into the sewing room and into the machine. It worked out well until the crows were attracted to the shiny thread. They went through several spools of it, but the nest is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Fabric Therapy" <twistedbobbins@...> wrote:

My dealer sold the cone tree stand separately, and it was worth it to me as most of my spools are jumbo spools. I also do a lot of twin needle metallic embellishment on my projects lately for the holidays.

When I work with metallic threads to get the threads to "relax" I put my spools in over sized coffee cups on the floor and then thread both strands through a separate cone tree and then onto the telescoping antenna of the Horizon cone tree, and then thread the machine.

Mary A Rease <bigmary@...>

So Funny Jim!!! I little more distance than I use but some metallic's need a long lead to the needle to relax.

Mary A. Rease
bigmary@...

--------Original Message from Jim -----------------
We tried something similar, putting the cones on the TV antenna on the roof, down through a vent in the attic, then through a heating duct into the sewing room and into the machine. It worked out well until the crows were attracted to the shiny thread. They went through several spools of it, but the nest is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Jo Lynch <jolynch12@...>

I have not had any problems with Metalic thread on this machine.  I give a puff of Silicone on the cone & just feed though the normal thread stand ----  this certainly was not the case with the 10 & 11.    Jim I could not see myself climbing on the roof!!!!
Cheers
Jo

So Funny Jim!!! I little more distance than I use but some metallic's need a long lead to the needle to relax.

Mary A. Rease
bigmary@...

--------Original Message from Jim -----------------
We tried something similar, putting the cones on the TV antenna on the roof, down through a vent in the attic, then through a heating duct into the sewing room and into the machine. It worked out well until the crows were attracted to the shiny thread. They went through several spools of it, but the nest is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Sandy <realgrand@...>

I heard on one of the groups to turn the spool upside down. :-)

I have not had any problems with Metalic thread on this machine.  I give a puff of Silicone on the cone & just feed though the normal thread stand ----  this certainly was not the case with the 10 & 11.    Jim I could not see myself climbing on the roof!!!!
Cheers
Jo

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Be careful about spraying silicone on thread BEFORE it goes through the tension. Over time the thread can carry the silicone onto the tension disks, where it can build up and begin reducing tension. It's better to apply after it comes out of the tension. There are some after-market products that are tiny sponges which stick to the machine in the thread path. You apply the silicone to the sponge. We've never found it necessary to lubricate the thread though. Using a topstitch size 14 needle is a big help.

As for taking to the roof, remember one has to suffer for one's art!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Lynch" <jolynch12@...> wrote:

I have not had any problems with Metalic thread on this machine. I give a puff of Silicone on the cone & just feed though the normal thread stand ---- this certainly was not the case with the 10 & 11. Jim I could not see myself climbing on the roof!!!!
Cheers
Jo

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The lack of a vertical spool pin is kind of puzzling. That's something that's been on every Janome machine for at least the last 25 years. Feeding metallic thread from a vertical pin is the preferred method, since the thread rolls off without twisting.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@...> wrote:

Hi - I haven't yet tried working with metallic threads on the 12000 but am looking forward to having a go when I have some time. I usually put the reel of thread on a vertical spool and wondered why Janome don't supply a vertical spool pin with the machine? Also my Isacord cones don't fit so I have to use a separate spool holder away from the machine whereas they do fit on my 350e.
Vicki

vicki chrobak

Good one Jim! We do what we gotta do. Maybe someone will invent a fool-proof metallic thread????

--
Vicki Jo

vicki chrobak

Maybe they were women in a former life.

--
Vicki Jo

Jo Lynch <jolynch12@...>

Thank you Jim, since reading  your reply I have put a new Christmas design in not used any spray on a new spool of thread, still no problem  with a size 11 needle & it is stitching at 1,000SPMI am also using the GR hoop, must be the Australian luck   Will remember what you have said though
Thank you
Jo

--- In janome12000@..., "Jo Lynch" wrote:

> I have not had any problems with Metalic thread on this machine. I give a puff of Silicone on the cone & just feed though the normal thread stand ---- this certainly was not the case with the 10 & 11. Jim I could not see myself climbing on the roof!!!!
> Cheers
> Jo

maggie cooper

Thank you Jim, since reading your reply I have put a new Christmas design in not used any spray on a new spool of thread, still no problem with a size 11 needle & it is stitching at 1,000SPMI am also using the GR hoop, must be the Australian luck Will remember what you have said though
Thank you
Jo
As a newby to the group I should really apologise for this, but I have to say it, Australian luck? no flower, its coz your upside down in Australia, so your thread has to climb uphill, LOL. Sorry Jo I just couldn't resist it.
Maggie in England which is  the tother side of world to Australia.

Jo Lynch <jolynch12@...>

Certainly did not think of that Maggie
Jo

Thank you Jim, since reading your reply I have put a new Christmas design in not used any spray on a new spool of thread, still no problem with a size 11 needle & it is stitching at 1,000SPMI am also using the GR hoop, must be the Australian luck Will remember what you have said though
Thank you
Jo
As a newby to the group I should really apologise for this, but I have to say it, Australian luck? no flower, its coz your upside down in Australia, so your thread has to climb uphill, LOL. Sorry Jo I just couldn't resist it.
Maggie in England which is  the tother side of world to Australia.

sewsew1115 <ljstitcher@...>

Jim,

Would a size 14 embroidery needle be comparable to a size 14 top stitch needle?

Thanks,

Lynn

[...]

Size 14 is size 14. The topstitch needle has a larger eye than a standard 14 universal.

We've come up with a $3 fix for feeding metallic thread from a vertical spool pin. We'll be writing it up and uploading it shortly. Diane just did one of the redwork designs (Sunbonnet Sue with the basket) at 1,000 SPM using cheap metallic thread and a size 11 blue tip needle. No thread breaks!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "sewsew1115" <ljstitcher@...> wrote:

Jim,

Would a size 14 embroidery needle be comparable to a size 14 top stitch needle?

Thanks,

Lynn

Donna Morton

In my experience, the Janome Red or Blue Tip is the very best needle for metallic threads.  I recommend it to both our Janome and Husqvarna customers and they seldom have any more problems with metallic threads.

On the 12000, as Jim mentions, absolutely no problems with metallic threads.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:50 PM

--- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, "sewsew1115" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Would a size 14 embroidery needle be comparable to a size 14 top stitch needle?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lynn

Greetings from England,

Many of the problems with metallis threads are caused by the way that
these are spun and wound onto the cone. Many are spun from aluminium
filaments wound tightly around a synthetic thread core. In effect wound
like a spring, and being metal it also acts like a spring, causing the
resulting metallic thread to jump, kink, snap and shred when coming off
the spool and through the machine.

There are other metallic thread types, and these are constructed
differently. They still use a fibre and a metallic thread, but there is
no springiness added to the final thread, so problems are avoided before
they even start. The brand of thread I use is Kingstar Fujix, which is
made in Japan, and fairly readily available world wide. It comes in
three tones of gold, (spun using real gold metal thread), one of silver,
(using real silver), and several bright colours using aluminium metal
threads. All behave well. Need so special thread path, just thread as
any other embroidery thread, and a normal sewing or embroidery needle,
size 100. In fact Kingstar recommend that you do NOT use a special
metallic needle with their thread. Horizontal or vertical spool pins
work fine, but you will need to put a thread net on the spool to hold
the thread as it is used, and also slow the machine down a little too.
Otherwise no problems. All these are available in 1000 metre and 3000
metre cones. I use a lot of metallic thread in my one-off designs for
church vestments and banners etc., some even using all metallic thread
in the design, and have had no trouble with thread breakages, tangles
ever since I started using this thread. A tip you may also like is to
use a 40 weight polyester in a matching colour in the bobbin when using
this metallic. It give a better and smoother finish to the embroisery as
a whole for some reason. I have no connection with Kingstar, just a very
contented and non-hassled user.

Best wishes,

George.

stitchnpatch

George - sounds good - who do you buy the thread from in the UK and how much does it cost?
Thanks
Vicki

My-Stitches

It sounds wonderful, and does anyone have any idea where we can get it in the USA?
Mary

George - sounds good - who do you buy the thread from in the UK and how much does it cost?
Thanks
Vicki

maggie cooper

http://www.embstore.com/c-15-kingstar-polyester-embroidery-thread.aspx

I found a few more but I'm in England so dont get that many American sites'
maggie in England