MC Janome 550e

griffithsamc@...

My machine has suddenly stopped recognizing the usb drives?  Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Jim Stutsman

Is it failing on ANY USB drive, or just one specific drive? If it’s just one, see this: https://groups.io/g/onlinesewing-janome/message/29299

If it doesn’t work with any drive there is possibly a hardware problem. On that we saw on other models relates to the fact that the USB drive sticks out from the machine where it can easily be bumped. If whacked with enough force, it can break off the plastic piece inside the USB port that has the connecting wires on it. To see if this is an issue, use a strong light to look into the port with no drive plugged in. If you see a tangle of wires, that’s the problem. Otherwise you may need to have your dealer look at it.

griffithsamc@...

It is on all the usb sticks I try? Including those that worked this morning.

Kathy Griffiths

          ~~~
Griffiths Pygmies

"Striving for Excellence"
www.griffithspygmies.com
cell:(916)801-0150

Jim Stutsman

Yikes! That sounds like a hardware problem. I assume you’ve tried turning it off, then back on again. If that didn’t help you’ll need to see your dealer.

Vikki Youngmeyer

Does another device such as your computer recognize the USB drives? If not, the issue is with the drives not the machines. If the USB drive doesn’t work in either your computer or machine, you can try reformatting it in your computer. I’ve done that with a couple of drives and they’ve worked fine since then. If that doesn’t work, get some new USB drives. They’re dirt cheap these days.

Vikki

Houston, TX

My machine has suddenly stopped recognizing the usb drives?  Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Dr Jay & Kathy Griffiths <griffithsamc@...>

Jim,
Thank you. I was hoping not to have to take it all the way down to the dealer. Guess that’s the answer.
Kathy

Sent from Kathy's iPhone
www.griffithspygmies.com
(916) 801-0150

On Nov 19, 2021, at 3:37 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yikes! That sounds like a hardware problem. I assume you’ve tried turning it off, then back on again. If that didn’t help you’ll need to see your dealer.

Dr Jay & Kathy Griffiths <griffithsamc@...>

The drives worked fine this morning. Now none will work in the machine only. They show the files in my software and on my computer. Just was hoping there was a fix other than taking it down to the dealer that is a far drive away.

Sent from Kathy's iPhone
www.griffithspygmies.com
(916) 801-0150

From: favymtz <favymtz@...>
Date: 11/24/21 9:01 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] MC Janome 550e

--
Favymtz

Kathy Skagen

No worries at all, Mattes. I was just copying and pasting the posting title for items I found to show the kind of information I needed. I have no idea what a USB-C or USB-A is but your answer helped me to know what they are used for. So, I learned something and that is never a bad thing!
Kathy