MC Janome 550e

griffithsamc@...

My machine has suddenly stopped recognizing the usb drives?  Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Jim Stutsman

Is it failing on ANY USB drive, or just one specific drive? If it’s just one, see this: https://groups.io/g/onlinesewing-janome/message/29299

If it doesn’t work with any drive there is possibly a hardware problem. On that we saw on other models relates to the fact that the USB drive sticks out from the machine where it can easily be bumped. If whacked with enough force, it can break off the plastic piece inside the USB port that has the connecting wires on it. To see if this is an issue, use a strong light to look into the port with no drive plugged in. If you see a tangle of wires, that’s the problem. Otherwise you may need to have your dealer look at it.

griffithsamc@...

It is on all the usb sticks I try? Including those that worked this morning.

Kathy Griffiths

~~~
Griffiths Pygmies

"Striving for Excellence"
www.griffithspygmies.com
cell:(916)801-0150

Jim Stutsman

Yikes! That sounds like a hardware problem. I assume you’ve tried turning it off, then back on again. If that didn’t help you’ll need to see your dealer.

Vikki Youngmeyer

Does another device such as your computer recognize the USB drives? If not, the issue is with the drives not the machines. If the USB drive doesn’t work in either your computer or machine, you can try reformatting it in your computer. I’ve done that with a couple of drives and they’ve worked fine since then. If that doesn’t work, get some new USB drives. They’re dirt cheap these days.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of griffithsamc via groups.io
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 5:10 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] MC Janome 550e

My machine has suddenly stopped recognizing the usb drives?  Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Dr Jay & Kathy Griffiths <griffithsamc@...>

Jim,
Thank you. I was hoping not to have to take it all the way down to the dealer. Guess that’s the answer.
Kathy

Sent from Kathy's iPhone
www.griffithspygmies.com
(916) 801-0150

On Nov 19, 2021, at 3:37 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yikes! That sounds like a hardware problem. I assume you’ve tried turning it off, then back on again. If that didn’t help you’ll need to see your dealer.

Dr Jay & Kathy Griffiths <griffithsamc@...>

The drives worked fine this morning. Now none will work in the machine only. They show the files in my software and on my computer. Just was hoping there was a fix other than taking it down to the dealer that is a far drive away.

Sent from Kathy's iPhone
www.griffithspygmies.com
(916) 801-0150

On Nov 19, 2021, at 3:41 PM, Vikki Youngmeyer <vikkiy@...> wrote:

Does another device such as your computer recognize the USB drives? If not, the issue is with the drives not the machines. If the USB drive doesn’t work in either your computer or machine, you can try reformatting it in your computer. I’ve done that with a couple of drives and they’ve worked fine since then. If that doesn’t work, get some new USB drives. They’re dirt cheap these days.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of griffithsamc via groups.io
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 5:10 PM
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] MC Janome 550e

Mattes

Although it won't help once the hardware is already broken: To prevent "wear & tear" of USB ports which are often plugged / unplugged, I'd use a very short USB cable (male-female connectors). This stays permanently attached to the machine and can be easily replaced once its connector is worn out.

As a side effect the danger of breaking the machine's port by bumping into an attached stick is less with the smaller and more flexible cable.

Mattes

Kathy Skagen

Thank you, Mattes. I had heard this before for use with computers but I needed this reminder. It's a really good way to protect our expensive machines.
Kathy

On Saturday, November 20, 2021, 02:32:42 AM CST, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Although it won't help once the hardware is already broken: To prevent "wear & tear" of USB ports which are often plugged / unplugged, I'd use a very short USB cable (male-female connectors). This stays permanently attached to the machine and can be easily replaced once its connector is worn out.

As a side effect the danger of breaking the machine's port by bumping into an attached stick is less with the smaller and more flexible cable.

Mattes

Kathy Skagen

Does anyone know what I should look for in a short USB cable? I think it is a USB C female to USB male adapter. But I've seen 2.0 and 3.0. and lots of other letters that I have no idea what they mean. Lol! I feel like I've gone to the auto store to pick up car parts and have no idea what I'm looking for! Sorry. 
And the write up says what phone or computer they work with but of course they don't know about sewing machines. Do I need something like this: 

FREEDOMTECH USB C to USB Adapter Type C OTG (5-Pack) USB C Male to USB 3.0 A Female Connector Compatible for MacBook Pro 2019 2018, Samsung Galaxy S10 S9 S8 Note 9 8, LG V40 V30 G6, Google Pixel 2 XL

I like that this would only stick out a little like a bluetooth mouse adapter.
Thanks!
Kathy

On Saturday, November 20, 2021, 02:32:42 AM CST, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Mattes

Mattes

Edited

I assume you want to connect your standard USB memory stick - used with your embroidery machine - to your Mac?

Any USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) will work, the adapter is not specific to any OS. I have good experience with Anker products like the one below. But I'd suggest an adapter with a flexible cable to reduce stress on the USB-C port, and you might prefer a more versatile hub with e.g. additional HDMI connectivity (I use these for watching streams on TVs during vacation).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HZ6PS61/ref=mp_s_a_1_9

Mattes

Jim Stutsman

Entschuldigen mir, bitte! USB-C will not work with any Janome machine. All of their ports are USB-A. This is an extender that will work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Z83QTT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5AWYJPPWA4F4A9C5GBVW
The length of the extender doesn't matter. Only that it is USB-A male on one end and USB-A female on the other. USB 2 or 3 is immaterial. The machine uses USB 1, but cables are compatible between 1, 2, and 3.

Kathy Skagen

Actually I liked your idea of leaving it in my Janome 15000 so that I would not wear out the port when inserting the jump drive. I'll look for the ones with the flexible cable. Thank you very much for the suggestion and guidance. 
Kathy

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 02:28:59 PM CST, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

I assume you want to connect your standard USB memory stick - used with your embroidery machine - to your Mac?

Any USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) will work, the adapter is not specific to any OS. I have good experience with Anker products like the one below. But I'd suggest an adapter with a flexible cable to reduce stress on the USB-C port, and you might prefer a more versatile dock with e.g. additional HDMI connectivity (I use these for watching streams on TVs during vacation).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HZ6PS61/ref=mp_s_a_1_9

Mattes

Kathy Skagen

Thank you, Jim! That is exactly the technical knowledge I was lamenting that I didn't have when I wrote to ask for help. I know enough to know that everything is not interchangeable but not enough to know what I need. :-)
Kathy

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 03:07:21 PM CST, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Entschuldigen mir, bitte! USB-C will not work with any Janome machine. All of their ports are USB-A. This is an extender that will work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Z83QTT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5AWYJPPWA4F4A9C5GBVW
The length of the extender doesn't matter. Only that it is USB-A male on one end and USB-A female on the other. USB 2 or 3 is immaterial. The machine uses USB 1, but cables are compatible between 1, 2, and 3.

Mattes

My bad, and thanks for stepping in, Jim!

With Kathy mentioning USB-C I was assuming she refers to "the other side", now: How to connect the stick to her computer if it doesn't provide a USB-A port. I just didn't realize Kathy was replying on my "extension cord" posting.

Kathy, I'm truly sorry if I caused further confusions!

Mattes 

favymtz

I just ordered and received a usb hub to hopefully use on my 15000. I’m so disappointed because It didn’t work on the machine but it does work fine in my computer.
The one I purchased was recommended by  a Janome tech, it has 4 ports on it that can be switched off and on. 
Maybe we need a single? 
So, re it doesn’t matter which connector we purchase that’s not true!
I’ll keep trying with a different version!
Favymtz 

--
Favymtz

Lyn Quine

I thought I read somewhere not to put a hub on the 15000 only a single USB ext cable.

I did use one for a while and it worked well, butI moved the machine, and crushed the cable.  I’m not sure I want to test it on the machine so I’ve ordered a new one.

On 24 Nov 2021, at 14:01, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

I just ordered and received a usb hub to hopefully use on my 15000. I’m so disappointed because It didn’t work on the machine but it does work fine in my computer.
The one I purchased was recommended by  a Janome tech, it has 4 ports on it that can be switched off and on. 
Maybe we need a single? 
Favymtz 

--
Favymtz

Jim Stutsman

The software needed to support a USB hub does not exist in the machine. It already has a hub, with the dual USB ports. Hubs need a computer to support them. There are two types of hub - powered and unpowered. Those without power work only with very low power devices, such as USB sticks. USB external hard drives require more power than unpowered hubs can provide, and may cause the computer to shut down the port due to excessive power use. This is not fatal, but it's often necessary to turn the computer off and back on to get the USB port the hub was plugged in to work again.

Virginia

I would not use any extensions on my 15000 I have heard many nightmares as to what can happen with the ports. I have one on my computer. Less expensive to replace a computer than a 15000QCP. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/24/21 9:01 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] MC Janome 550e

Maybe we need a single? 
Favymtz 

--
Favymtz

Kathy Skagen

No worries at all, Mattes. I was just copying and pasting the posting title for items I found to show the kind of information I needed. I have no idea what a USB-C or USB-A is but your answer helped me to know what they are used for. So, I learned something and that is never a bad thing!
Kathy

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:00:46 PM CST, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

My bad, and thanks for stepping in, Jim!

With Kathy mentioning USB-C I was assuming she refers to "the other side", now: How to connect the stick to her computer if it doesn't provide a USB-A port. I just didn't realize Kathy was replying on my "extension cord" posting.

Kathy, I'm truly sorry if I caused further confusions!

Mattes