MC10001 - black screen???

Mary

I know this is a very old machine, so I'm hoping there is an answer for this.  The only problems I've had have been user errors.  However, this morning, when I turned it on, the screen didn't open up.  Just a blank screen.  I tried to power down and back on a couple of times.  No difference.  I also tried to search i'm having trouble with what argument to user for janome 10k mc10k mc10000 mc10001.....

Thank you for any help
Mary

Jim Stutsman

Well as usually is the case, diagnosing the problem will be a lot easier than fixing it. There are two scenarios that I can surmise from this:

1. When you turn on the machine, it is totally dead. No lights, no sound, no joy. That would suggest a power problem that could be as simple as a fuse, though this model was very rarely known to blow a fuse. It would more likely be a power supply failure.

2. If you turn on the machine, and it seems to be working with regard to lights, self-test, etc., but the display is black, then we're looking at a couple of possible problems. It could be the inverter that creates the high voltage needed to turn on the backlight for the display screen, or it could be the display screen itself. One way to tell is to turn it on, then shine a very bright light on the screen. If you can make out very faint images then it's a backlight problem. These are much more complex than mere light bulbs, and they do have a lifetime that is long, but not infinite.

Knowing which of these is the cause of your problem is of very little value. There is no magic incantation that can bring it back. It's going to need dealer assistance and probably parts that may or may not be available. At times like this its good for a dealer to have a boneyard of cadaver machines to draw parts from, but very few can afford that luxury. Sorry to present such bleak news!

With regard to the proper search term, any or all of them is equally valid. Searching for this problem is unlikely to return much of anything useful in any case.

Mary

Jim, Amazingly, when I put a very bright light at the screen and saw the shadow of the screen and BEHOLD the screen lit up!!  However when I turn the machine off and go back later, the screen is black again.  SO FAR, using the bright light seems to bring the screen back...Is there any good news with this?  Or am I holding my breath each time I turn the machine on to hope I can get the screen  ;)

Mary

Jim Stutsman

Well you've narrowed it down. There are two possibilities, both involving the backlight of the screen. The screen sits in front of a strong light, and uses software to turn individual dots on or off in different colors to make the images. The backlight is powered by a high voltage using a component called an inverter. Your problem is most likely due to either a failure of the inverter, or the backlight itself. Either part is not likely to be readily available, and replacing it is a difficult repair, even for a technician. There is a very thin, very fragile cable that connects the screen to the main board. If damaged, the touch screen stops working. (DO NOT ASK how I know this!) I think your best course of action is to take it to a dealer and see 1) if parts are available and 2) what the total cost will be. The answer may not be one you want to hear. Sorry!

Mary

Jim, thank you so much for your information and patience.  I fully understand that some questions should never be asked.  The thing is working now....

Thanks
Mary