MBX Ver 4.OK

granny_412001

I downloaded the 4.OK upgrade for the MBX upgrade I received for Christmas and now all of my JEF files have been converted from object files to stitch files and can only be opened in Easy Edit!!! The only files I can open in Easy Design are JAN files that I have designed myself. This seems to have affected all purchased designs that have been downloaded in the JEF format? Has this happened to any one else or did I do something wrong? Don't know why they have changed from object file to stitch file.
Sorry to keep sending OT messages, but don't know where to go for answers.
Judy in NC

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

You didn't do anything wrong, and nothing is broken. In previous versions of Digitizer you could not reliably open files by double clicking on them. In the first release of MBX the same icon was used for both JEF and JAN files, creating enormous confusion. If you accidentally open a JEF file and then save it over the original JAN file, massive amounts of critical information is lost and the design will never be the same for it.

In the 4.0K update they fixed this issue by giving JEF files an EasyEdit icon and opening JEF files in EasyEdit. This insures you won't accidentally break an original JAN. You can still open stitch files (JEF, PES, etc.) in EasyDesign, but you must do so explicitly using "File -> Open" or "Embroidery -> Insert Design". It's still possible to save over your original JAN, but less likely to be accidental.

Further, if you create a design for the 12000 and send it to the USB flash drive, it will be stored there as a JPX file. Both JEF and JPX are configured to open with EasyEdit. However you can change that by right clicking the file and choosing "Open with" from the pop-up menu. Browse for Horizon Link, or whatever alternate program you would like to use, and select it. If you check the "Always use this program..." box it will become the new default program for opening that file type.

Finally, you can still force a file to open in EasyDesign by right clicking on it and choosing "Open in Digitizer". Note that whether you double click to open, right click, or whatever, when Digitizer opens you'll get a dialog saying "There was an error sending the command to the program". This is probably a bug, and it's just an annoyance. Click OK to dismiss it.