Topics

MBX v5 upgrade or Hatch

Sewhat

Since Hatch continues to support its software I definitely prefer to go with Hatch however, I am afraid of the cost of the program.  Can you give me a ballpark estimate of what to expect?
Also a resource for continuing to learn.  Although, you could advise me out of both ideas.  At this time I use it for learning and a hobby.  I look forward to your insight and advice.  I'm frustrated with how
MBX removes me out of Corel back into digitizer constantly.  The change that I have made is attaching my windows ten laptop to a large screen that uses thunderbolt plugins.  It seems both Corel and MBX do not adjust properly.  The print is so very small in toolbars only in Corel, incredibly small.  In addition to MBX pulling me out of Corel.  It is possible I am missing details in using them.  I don't know.  Recalibrating screen helped digitizer., although not enough.  I look forward to your insight and advice, and thank you for all you do even off-topic very important issues!

Jim Stutsman

Edited

Since retiring I have done no digitizing. One of the curious things about retirement is that you suddenly have more “free” time than at any other time in your adult life. Diane and I each have a room in our very modestly sized house for our personal “Happy Place”. Hers has a 15000, MB-4, Cover Pro, serger, and all that goes with sewing and quilting. She still does digitizing, almost entirely on MBX V5. We also have Hatch and Artistic Digitizer, but she generally just goes with what she is familiar with to accomplish what she wants. I invested in Hatch because I don’t think Janome will be with Wilcom for the long haul. That’s just my personal opinion, not fact. I have no contact with anyone at Janome, and even when I did I was very far from being “in the loop”. For me the handwriting was on the wall when MBX V5.5 was released in Scandinavia months before it hit the US and UK. At the time Artistic Digitizer was being heavily promoted, and it still is. Wilcom apparently also read the same tea leaves and offered a special discount for Janome users to switch to Hatch. Looking at it from both sides, Wilcom’s only business is embroidery software. By selling it directly to end users they have a much better profit margin, can offer a somewhat lower price, and have a strong incentive to continue to improve their products. For the machine companies software is a tiny part of their business, something offered more to support sales. It’s more or less a break-even expense item.

Obviously I’m not in a position to offer you any useful advice. However you can try Hatch for free. That’s probably the best way to make the decision that’s right for you.

Ceil J

I bought Hatch after trying it and others out for their free trial period.  Somehow it clicked for me while I was lost with some others.  I would never buy a digitizing program without buying it as some of the ones I tried I just did not like and others like them better.  Also I bought it sometime around Thanksgiving when Hatch had a  great sale through John Deer. I think it's the best price of the year.   So if you decide on Hatch wait until then to purchase. 
Ceil

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Since retiring I have done no digitizing. One of the curious things about retirement is that you suddenly have more “free” time than at any other time in your adult life. Diane and I each have a room in our very modestly sized house for our personal “Happy Place”. Hers has a 15000, MB-4, Cover Pro, serger, and all that goes with sewing and quilting. She still does digitizing, almost entirely on MBX V5. We also have Hatch and Artistic Digitizer, but she generally just goes with what she is familiar with to accomplish what she wants. I invested in Hatch because I don’t think Janome will be with Wilcom for the long haul. That’s just my personal opinion, not fact. I have no contact with anyone at Janome, and even when I did I was very far from being “in the loop”. For me the handwriting was on the wall when MBX V5.5 was released in Scandinavia months before it hit the US and UK. At the time Artistic Digitizer was being heavily promoted, and it still is. Wilcom apparently also read the same tea leaves and offered a special discount for Janome users to switch to Hatch. Looking at it from both sides, Wilcom’s only business is embroidery software. By selling it directly to end users they have a much better profit margin, can offer a somewhat lower price, and have a strong incentive to continue to improve their products. For the machine companies software is a tiny part of their business, something offered more to support sales. It’s more or less a break-even expense item.

Obviously I’m not in a position to offer you any useful advice. However you can try Hatch for free. That’s probably the best way to make the decision that’s right for you.

favymtz

(If it's okay to give prices here on the group) To answer "SewWhat" questions the price for Hatch on sale was $899. Look at their website to get more information.
However, Hatch just completed their "sale price" on the software, maybe they'll do it again but typically it's just once a year, I think.
Hatch also has implemented a series of lessons that can be purchased as a yearly subscription, they are taught by Lindee Goodall who has been a longtime embroidery expert and digitizer.
They do have many lessons for free on the website as well. You will also find digititzers using the software on YouTube and FaceBook.
John Deer who has previously been mentioned teaches Hatch, both free classes as well as purchased lessons.

Re: Corel, Through the years I have heard many people complain that even though it's supposed to interface with MBX it can be problematic, and shuts down the whole program. I guess I'm lucky, I have never had issues between MBX and Corel.
However, when I run Corel alone (Not through MBX) I also have the same experience that you have with the lettering so tiny it's almost impossible to view it, and it can't be changed in that free version. 
IF you are considering purchasing Hatch, be aware that there are things that Hatch does that MBX doesn't have and vice versa. Do your homework and compare!
I still run MBXv5 (I didn't upgrade to 5.5) and Hatch because of the different functions.

-- Favymtz

Virginia

I too decided not to upgrade when 5.5 came out and decided to go with Hatch. So much more affordable than MBX even though I run both programs and love them both.  I started with digipro and always kept them upgraded and in the end spent thousands. I worked for my dealer and it still was very pricey even though he always gave me a good price.  For the $$ definitely go with Hatch. They have awesome support. 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/19/20 10:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] MBX v5 upgrade or Hatch

(If it's okay to give prices here on the group) To answer "SewWhat" questions the price for Hatch on sale was $899. Look at their website to get more information.
However, Hatch just completed their "sale price" on the software, maybe they'll do it again but typically it's just once a year, I think.
Hatch also has implemented a series of lessons that can be purchased as a yearly subscription, they are taught by Lindee Goodall who has been a longtime embroidery expert and digitizer.
They do have many lessons for free on the website as well. You will also find digititzers using the software on YouTube and FaceBook.
John Deer who has previously been mentioned teaches Hatch, both free classes as well as purchased lessons.

Re: Corel, Through the years I have heard many people complain that even though it's supposed to interface with MBX it can be problematic, and shuts down the whole program. I guess I'm lucky, I have never had issues between MBX and Corel.
However, when I run Corel alone (Not through MBX) I also have the same experience that you have with the lettering so tiny it's almost impossible to view it, and it can't be changed in that free version. 
IF you are considering purchasing Hatch, be aware that there are things that Hatch does that MBX doesn't have and vice versa. Do your homework and compare!
I still run MBXv5 (I didn't upgrade to 5.5) and Hatch because of the different functions.

-- Favymtz

Virginia

Jim your words are exactly why I upgraded to Hatch when v5.5 came out. I too run v.5 and Hatch2 and also Embrilliance essentials and each one have features I love. The support provided by wilcom is so much better tan what I received from MBX. If it wasn't for Maggie (bless her soul) and Trevor  and of course I had a great dealer I would never have accomplished what I know. Thank you for posting this. Virginia

Date: 9/18/20 7:26 PM (GMT-05:00)

[Edited Message Follows]

Pauline Dickerson

I am thinking about buying Hatch and have downloaded the trial. Can you save other design formats with Hatch? I also have MBX and a 12000 machine which, I believe only takes JEF.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim your words are exactly why I upgraded to Hatch when v5.5 came out. I too run v.5 and Hatch2 and also Embrilliance essentials and each one have features I love. The support provided by wilcom is so much better tan what I received from MBX. If it wasn't for Maggie (bless her soul) and Trevor  and of course I had a great dealer I would never have accomplished what I know. Thank you for posting this. Virginia

From: "Jim Stutsman via groups.io" <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io>

[Edited Message Follows]

Jim Stutsman

Hatch is not Janome-specific, so it supports all embroidery formats.

Ceil J

Took me a while to find the price but I have a charge in my Quicken account 12/1/2018 for $799.  That was for Hatch2. 

Cat - N

If I correctly recall, that price was a 'special' price in large part intended for MBX users.  It was for Hatch v.2 but because v.2 had just been introduced, and Wilcom was no longer selling v.1.  For those of us who already had Hatch v.1, we were offered an upgrade price. 

I had Hatch v.1, and upgraded to v.2, and while there was recently a 'special' price offered that I think has ended or is just about to end, if you are interested in Hatch, keep an eye on Wilcom's website.  They had a 'special' offer near Christmas in 2016, when I got Hatch, so it is possible there might be a holiday offer, too.

I have been pleased with Hatch, and Wilcom.  I trialed every digitizing software I found that had a trial, and I found Hatch 'very intuitive' based on my previous 'graphics software' experiences, but no software is 'good' if it 'thinks/works' too differently from how we individually 'think/work' so you might want to sign up for the trial and check it out, if you think it might work for you.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Sep 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Took me a while to find the price but I have a charge in my Quicken account 12/1/2018 for $799.  That was for Hatch2. 

Virginia

I paid $799. Because I was an MBX V5 owner. At that time it was Hatchc 1. Hatch upgrade from Hatch 1 to Hatch 2 was a free upgrade and no one paid.

Date: 9/19/20 9:41 PM (GMT-05:00)

If I correctly recall, that price was a 'special' price in large part intended for MBX users.  It was for Hatch v.2 but because v.2 had just been introduced, and Wilcom was no longer selling v.1.  For those of us who already had Hatch v.1, we were offered an upgrade price. 

I had Hatch v.1, and upgraded to v.2, and while there was recently a 'special' price offered that I think has ended or is just about to end, if you are interested in Hatch, keep an eye on Wilcom's website.  They had a 'special' offer near Christmas in 2016, when I got Hatch, so it is possible there might be a holiday offer, too.

I have been pleased with Hatch, and Wilcom.  I trialed every digitizing software I found that had a trial, and I found Hatch 'very intuitive' based on my previous 'graphics software' experiences, but no software is 'good' if it 'thinks/works' too differently from how we individually 'think/work' so you might want to sign up for the trial and check it out, if you think it might work for you.

- Cat (FL)

Barbara

You can no longer buy the full programme of Janome digitizer only buy upgrades ...so I am sure that says something ....I have V5.5 but have just bought hatch when it was on special ...you get much better support with hatch ..I have a friend who had Janome and eventually had to get in touch with Wilcom to get her license back after her computer crashed ...I live in Sydney where Wilcom Is and even here had to wait ages to get the V5.5 update ...
Barbara

Ceil J

Cat,
I'm not sure why the price was what it was.  I do remember reading that someone had posted that the lowest price would occur during the holidays.   I did not have MBX or any other software so it worked out well for me. I just received an email saying that Artistic Digitizer is going to have another free trial in October.  I did the free trial last time with no plan to purchase as Hatch is still much more than I need.  The "special" price they offered after their trial in the spring was higher than what I expected.  I can't recall it nor can I find the email but I think it was a little over $1,000.  Someone can correct me.  Some of the people in the trial posted very nice photo stitch outs but I could never get mine to look good.  It also offers cutwork and ways to set beads, neither of which appeal to me.  But those who are experienced digitizers might enjoy the free trial along with those who haven't yet decided on a program.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:41 PM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Virginia

Barbara, when version 5 first came out I too had to have Wilcom help me install the software. If I recall his name was Sam and it took hours. I still use v5 but have Hatch2 as well. I love both programs and both have different features.

Date: 9/20/20 8:14 AM (GMT-05:00)

You can no longer buy the full programme of Janome digitizer only buy upgrades ...so I am sure that says something ....I have V5.5 but have just bought hatch when it was on special ...you get much better support with hatch ..I have a friend who had Janome and eventually had to get in touch with Wilcom to get her license back after her computer crashed ...I live in Sydney where Wilcom Is and even here had to wait ages to get the V5.5 update ...
Barbara

Pixey

Like others, I paid $799 last December as part of a Christmas sale.  I have observed that Hatch seems to cycle through a sale price for the full package about 3 times a year.

If you do not need it immediately I would make sure you are on their email distribution list and watch for an end of the year special.

Pixey

On Sep 19, 2020, at 2:11 PM, Pauline Dickerson <paulinedickerson100@...> wrote:

I am thinking about buying Hatch and have downloaded the trial. Can you save other design formats with Hatch? I also have MBX and a 12000 machine which, I believe only takes JEF.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Virginia

To answer your question yes you can save in other formats
 Do not uninstall your MBX there are features in MBX that are not in Hatch and features in Hatch that are not in MBX. However keep them both and you will have the best of both worlds as the saying goes.  Virginia

Date: 9/20/20 4:28 PM (GMT-05:00)

Like others, I paid $799 last December as part of a Christmas sale.  I have observed that Hatch seems to cycle through a sale price for the full package about 3 times a year.

If you do not need it immediately I would make sure you are on their email distribution list and watch for an end of the year special.

Pixey

[Edited Message Follows]

Carolyn Gazerro

In February 2019 I received the Hatch offer from Wilcom  thinking MBX was going the way of the warrior.  After contacting my Janome  dealer and they contacting Wilcom I was assured that MBX was going nowhere and for $169 I was able to receive an upgrade!  

I like Diane preferred going with what I was comfortable with!

Cheryl Paul

I also bought Hatch, last December when there was a big Hatch 2 promotion. I think I paid $800 USD at that time just before the sale was over. I like it, but I still got the upgrade to Digitizer V5.5 - the programs are so similar that there is very little learning curve. What I like about Digitizer, is the transfer of designs to where you need it to be. In Digitizer V5 and V5.5, you can send the design to the machine or the USB, I prefer the USB transfer as I don’t keep my computer in my sewing room and the WiFi isn’t always reliable and especially from another room.

Something that I have noticed is that Digitizer doesn’t seem to have had any updates, or at least I haven’t had any notification that my software has been updated, and when I check it always says that it is up-to-date. Another thing is that both Hatch and Digitizer save in the EMB as the “native” format, but when I try to open some EMB files in Digitizer, I sometimes can’t because it says it is a newer version of the software. So now I save in Hatch to a specific version format as an option. I switch back and forth because I like some of the different fonts that each software has available as a choice of the ones that are digitized within the software and not the ones from the computer. I also sometimes get a background or some picture that isn’t stitches when opening a file that wasn’t digitized in the one I have open - that is rather interesting to see.

I just purchased Artistic Digitizer this summer (2020) and it has me totally baffled, but I have to admit that I haven’t looked at a single video on it yet, since I’ve loaded it on my computer on the MAC side of things - the software comes on one CD with both versions available right there. Another that I have is Floriani FTCU and most of the other Florian software programs as well. What is nice about Floriani, is that their updates, and upgrades are free once you own it. They get you in creating something a little different and selling it as a “stand alone” and then later integrate for those that already have purchased the stand alone into the FTCU. So I can see icons that are greyed out, but cannot access to use - of course I can hide them so they don’t use up the computer screen. Floriani is much easier to learn than Artistic, for me so far. Floriani also offers in their embroidery club a video each week, that either Trevor Conquergood or Kathi Quinn present. They are very short, but a very good refresher as to what all the icons on the screen do. The digitizing software has really advanced since I started in about 2003 or 2004. I can’t imagine trying to learn it from scratch now.

I also have Stitch Buddy, and I love it. Everything you need is there for transferring and saving designs and some changing of designs as well. It is very affordable and there is even an app for your phone or iPad/tablet. I can’t recommend everyone having this in addition to any of the expensive software. It loads up quickly and you can see things immediately without the “boot up” time of Digitizer for example. Mattias is also great - I thank him for being the wonderful person that he is to have developed Stitch Buddy with all of us in mind. Thank you - Jim and Diane also, for FootBook, My 15000, the Thread app and so much more.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Pauline Dickerson

Thank you

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Date: 9/20/20 10:48 PM (GMT-05:00)

To answer your question yes you can save in other formats
 Do not uninstall your MBX there are features in MBX that are not in Hatch and features in Hatch that are not in MBX. However keep them both and you will have the best of both worlds as the saying goes.  Virginia

Date: 9/20/20 4:28 PM (GMT-05:00)

Pixey

[Edited Message Follows]

Sewhat

THANK YOU ALL I WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT YOUR INPUT I SO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU  Thank you