Topics

MBX v5 upgrade or Hatch

Sewhat

Since Hatch continues to support its software I definitely prefer to go with Hatch however, I am afraid of the cost of the program.  Can you give me a ballpark estimate of what to expect?
Also a resource for continuing to learn.  Although, you could advise me out of both ideas.  At this time I use it for learning and a hobby.  I look forward to your insight and advice.  I'm frustrated with how
MBX removes me out of Corel back into digitizer constantly.  The change that I have made is attaching my windows ten laptop to a large screen that uses thunderbolt plugins.  It seems both Corel and MBX do not adjust properly.  The print is so very small in toolbars only in Corel, incredibly small.  In addition to MBX pulling me out of Corel.  It is possible I am missing details in using them.  I don't know.  Recalibrating screen helped digitizer., although not enough.  I look forward to your insight and advice, and thank you for all you do even off-topic very important issues!

Jim Stutsman

Edited

Since retiring I have done no digitizing. One of the curious things about retirement is that you suddenly have more “free” time than at any other time in your adult life. Diane and I each have a room in our very modestly sized house for our personal “Happy Place”. Hers has a 15000, MB-4, Cover Pro, serger, and all that goes with sewing and quilting. She still does digitizing, almost entirely on MBX V5. We also have Hatch and Artistic Digitizer, but she generally just goes with what she is familiar with to accomplish what she wants. I invested in Hatch because I don’t think Janome will be with Wilcom for the long haul. That’s just my personal opinion, not fact. I have no contact with anyone at Janome, and even when I did I was very far from being “in the loop”. For me the handwriting was on the wall when MBX V5.5 was released in Scandinavia months before it hit the US and UK. At the time Artistic Digitizer was being heavily promoted, and it still is. Wilcom apparently also read the same tea leaves and offered a special discount for Janome users to switch to Hatch. Looking at it from both sides, Wilcom’s only business is embroidery software. By selling it directly to end users they have a much better profit margin, can offer a somewhat lower price, and have a strong incentive to continue to improve their products. For the machine companies software is a tiny part of their business, something offered more to support sales. It’s more or less a break-even expense item.

Obviously I’m not in a position to offer you any useful advice. However you can try Hatch for free. That’s probably the best way to make the decision that’s right for you.

Ceil J

I bought Hatch after trying it and others out for their free trial period.  Somehow it clicked for me while I was lost with some others.  I would never buy a digitizing program without buying it as some of the ones I tried I just did not like and others like them better.  Also I bought it sometime around Thanksgiving when Hatch had a  great sale through John Deer. I think it's the best price of the year.   So if you decide on Hatch wait until then to purchase.
Ceil

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

favymtz

 (If it's okay to give prices here on the group) To answer "SewWhat" questions the price for Hatch on sale was $899. Look at their website to get more information.
However, Hatch just completed their "sale price" on the software, maybe they'll do it again but typically it's just once a year, I think.
Hatch also has implemented a series of lessons that can be purchased as a yearly subscription, they are taught by Lindee Goodall who has been a longtime embroidery expert and digitizer.
They do have many lessons for free on the website as well. You will also find digititzers using the software on YouTube and FaceBook.
John Deer who has previously been mentioned teaches Hatch, both free classes as well as purchased lessons.

Re: Corel, Through the years I have heard many people complain that even though it's supposed to interface with MBX it can be problematic, and shuts down the whole program. I guess I'm lucky, I have never had issues between MBX and Corel.
However, when I run Corel alone (Not through MBX) I also have the same experience that you have with the lettering so tiny it's almost impossible to view it, and it can't be changed in that free version.
IF you are considering purchasing Hatch, be aware that there are things that Hatch does that MBX doesn't have and vice versa. Do your homework and compare!
I still run MBXv5 (I didn't upgrade to 5.5) and Hatch because of the different functions.

-- Favymtz

Virginia

I too decided not to upgrade when 5.5 came out and decided to go with Hatch. So much more affordable than MBX even though I run both programs and love them both.  I started with digipro and always kept them upgraded and in the end spent thousands. I worked for my dealer and it still was very pricey even though he always gave me a good price.  For the $$ definitely go with Hatch. They have awesome support.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

[...]

Jim your words are exactly why I upgraded to Hatch when v5.5 came out. I too run v.5 and Hatch2 and also Embrilliance essentials and each one have features I love. The support provided by wilcom is so much better tan what I received from MBX. If it wasn't for Maggie (bless her soul) and Trevor  and of course I had a great dealer I would never have accomplished what I know. Thank you for posting this. Virginia

[...]

Pauline Dickerson

I am thinking about buying Hatch and have downloaded the trial. Can you save other design formats with Hatch? I also have MBX and a 12000 machine which, I believe only takes JEF.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim your words are exactly why I upgraded to Hatch when v5.5 came out. I too run v.5 and Hatch2 and also Embrilliance essentials and each one have features I love. The support provided by wilcom is so much better tan what I received from MBX. If it wasn't for Maggie (bless her soul) and Trevor  and of course I had a great dealer I would never have accomplished what I know. Thank you for posting this. Virginia

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

Took me a while to find the price but I have a charge in my Quicken account 12/1/2018 for $799.  That was for Hatch2.

Barbara

You can no longer buy the full programme of Janome digitizer only buy upgrades ...so I am sure that says something ....I have V5.5 but have just bought hatch when it was on special ...you get much better support with hatch ..I have a friend who had Janome and eventually had to get in touch with Wilcom to get her license back after her computer crashed ...I live in Sydney where Wilcom Is and even here had to wait ages to get the V5.5 update ...
Barbara

Ceil J

Cat,
I'm not sure why the price was what it was.  I do remember reading that someone had posted that the lowest price would occur during the holidays.   I did not have MBX or any other software so it worked out well for me. I just received an email saying that Artistic Digitizer is going to have another free trial in October.  I did the free trial last time with no plan to purchase as Hatch is still much more than I need.  The "special" price they offered after their trial in the spring was higher than what I expected.  I can't recall it nor can I find the email but I think it was a little over $1,000.  Someone can correct me.  Some of the people in the trial posted very nice photo stitch outs but I could never get mine to look good.  It also offers cutwork and ways to set beads, neither of which appeal to me.  But those who are experienced digitizers might enjoy the free trial along with those who haven't yet decided on a program.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:41 PM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Barbara, when version 5 first came out I too had to have Wilcom help me install the software. If I recall his name was Sam and it took hours. I still use v5 but have Hatch2 as well. I love both programs and both have different features.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

From: "Jim Stutsman via groups.io" <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io>
Date: 9/18/20 7:26 PM (GMT-05:00)

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

To answer your question yes you can save in other formats
 Do not uninstall your MBX there are features in MBX that are not in Hatch and features in Hatch that are not in MBX. However keep them both and you will have the best of both worlds as the saying goes.  Virginia

From: "Virginia via groups.io" <Fmjfrazier@...>
Date: 9/20/20 10:48 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io

[...]

THANK YOU ALL I WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT YOUR INPUT I SO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU  Thank you