Topics

MBX Problems!!!!!

sbspicer

Hi there
I sure hope some one can help me, I was using MBX this morning (UK) when suddenly it stared freezing up for no apparent reason, I switched PC off/on several times and neither time would the programme open again.
I called my dealer who said to uninstall and then re install programme,
I have been trying this and settings etc for around 8 hours now and ready for pulling my hair out,any help would be very gratefully received.
TIA everyone.
Kind Regards
Sandra

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Aaack!!! Your dealer did you no favors! The usual uninstall/reinstall shuffle should not be used with MBX. It will prevent the Corel option from reinstalling correctly. You may need help from Janome to get it reinstalled, as there are some internal Windows settings that need to be adjusted.

The sudden freezing up could be from many different things. If you've had your computer for a while (3 years or more) it could be overheating. This comes from accumulated dust and dirt that gets sucked into the computer, and sometimes the cooling fan itself stops working. You may not notice at all until you use a program that requires a lot of CPU power, which Digitizer MBX definitely does. The computer chip inside the computer monitors the temperature, and if it gets too high it will stop working to prevent itself from being damaged.

If your computer is a desktop, you can probably remove one of the covers. Unplug everything, take off one or both covers and vacuum out all the dust. Compressed air can be used to blow dust out of crevices, like the fins of the heat sink that the cooling fan rests on. Once everything is clean you can put it back together, but before you put on the final cover plug it in and turn it on just long enough to verify that the fans are all working. If any are not working, replace them.

Laptops are tougher, because they are full of tiny parts and just taking one apart is a big challenge. If the computer is a laptop, have it checked by a professional. Cooling fans often fail in laptops, and need to be replaced.

--- In janome12000@..., "sbspicer" <sbspicer@...> wrote:

Hi there
I sure hope some one can help me, I was using MBX this morning (UK) when suddenly it stared freezing up for no apparent reason, I switched PC off/on several times and neither time would the programme open again.
I called my dealer who said to uninstall and then re install programme,
I have been trying this and settings etc for around 8 hours now and ready for pulling my hair out,any help would be very gratefully received.
TIA everyone.
Kind Regards
Sandra

sbspicer

Hi Jim
thanks for reply, not wanted I really wanted to hear:-(
my PC is only 2 months old as is an All in one touch screen desktop operating on Windows 7, PC is not freezing up, just MBX everything else working Ok,I have had a couple of error messages one says There was a problem sending command to the program
the other system error, exception access violation
excepton code:c000005
exception flags:0
exception address:0064245B
number paramaters:
statup addres:006219F0
offset of exception:00020A6B, to me complete gobeledy gook maybe they mean something to you or a learned friend out there.
Kind Regards
Sandra

--- In janome12000@..., "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

For exception access violation problems there are a couple of things you should try:
1. From the MBX Windows menu (Start -> All Programs -> Janome Digitizer MBX) choose "Delete Recovery Files". If, in the heat of editing and designing, a design gets corrupted and causes a crash, Digitizer MBX will attempt to recover it by re-opening an auto-saved copy. If that copy also happens to be corrupt you get into a crash loop. Using this option will purge all saved copies and allow the program to open normally.

2. Another crash-maker is corrupt default settings. In the very early days of Digitizer corrupt defaults were solved by uninstall-reinstall, but thankfully there is a program to do that for us now. Using the same menu as above, choose "Revert" and select all available options. This will reset the defaults of Digitizer MBX back to their initially installed values. Usually this will fix most problems.

I'm guessing that you are in the US. If so, you may have received the first release of MBX. There is an update for that version here:
http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/digitizer_mbx_v40k.html
This may not correct your crash/freeze problems, but you should definitely update to 4.0K if you are not there now.

If you continue to have freezing problems it could still be a hardware problem. The CPU fan may not be properly attached to the heat sink. You would not notice this with programs that don't do a lot of "work", as they computer doesn't get hot enough. It might be worth installing a temperature monitoring program, at least temporarily, so you can see if the freezing happens when the CPU is very hot (How ironic!). Google this:
cpu temperature monitor
There are lots of these out there, many completely free. Good luck!

[...]

mcmaster_heather

Hi I just wanted to put a post in on this thread. I have had my 1200 since Dec. Done little or no embroidery YET. And HAVEN"T installed the MBX program.
Why you ask - because I am not overly computer confident and I have been put off by all the issues I read about on the forum.
Can I get over this Jim???
Personnally I am not sure!

Heather
QLD Australia

[...]

In my experience those who think they are computer experts have the most problems. That's because they charge ahead without reading instructions, and then when problems occur they immediately react without thinking, making the problems even worse. Yes, you can get over this. Start by getting yourself a safety net. Make a complete *image* backup of your computer to an external disk drive. This is something everyone should do anyway, so it's not wasted effort. One of my favorite programs for image backups is this one:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
This way, even if things go horribly wrong, you can put your computer back like it was.

After you've made your backup, insert the MBX DVD in your computer and begin the installation. Read each and every screen before clicking the NEXT button, and be sure to check all the options except those involving languages you won't need. When you've done that you should be ready to go. Use the included DVD by Trevor Conquergood and explore the program. Take deep breaths and ENJOY learning something new. Learn the tools and use the program, and soon you'll have all your family and friends pestering you to embroider things for them.

Remember the old saying - Buy a woman a vacuum cleaner and she'll kick you where the sun don't shine. Buy her an embroidery machine and you won't see her for days at a time! That may not be quite how it goes, as I'm paraphrasing from memory. In any case, please keep us informed on your progress, and we in turn shall cheer your efforts!

--- In janome12000@..., "HDD" <hddcreation@...> wrote:

Hi I just wanted to put a post in on this thread. I have had my 1200 since Dec. Done little or no embroidery YET. And HAVEN"T installed the MBX program.
Why you ask - because I am not overly computer confident and I have been put off by all the issues I read about on the forum.
Can I get over this Jim???
Personnally I am not sure!

Heather
QLD Australia

maggie cooper

Besides jims suggestions you might try downloading the latest Hasp (dongle) driver from Alladin (now safenet but still google alladin hasp driver) for some unknown reason Windows 7 can stop communicating with it. Check you have the latest drivers for your display card, even though your computer is fairly new, doesn't mean it shipped with all the latest drivers.
The message had a problem sending design to program isnt the problem it appears, just wait and the program will open with the design in the hoop, another Windows quirk, it wants the program to instantly react. It is a big program so takes time to open as it isnt just MBX opening but Corel as well, Win 7 doesnt allow for that so shoots up ''problem sending command to program.'' it's more impatient than we are.
Maggie Cooper

[...]

Sheri-A

Jim,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I was having all sorts of problems with my MBX 4.5.   This solved it (from 2012 no less).

I really appreciate all that you and Diane do.

Sheri