Magnets

Pixey

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops. But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops. They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins. I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity. I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey

Kathy Skagen

Hi Pixey,
I have seen the words Sew Tites and wondered what they were. Thanks for the idea for another way to use them. Next time you use them on your placemats, I'd love to see a picture of how and where you attach them. I'm new to the 15000 but I'm wondering if the magnets that come with the quilting hoop would work on the GR hoop.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:27:48 PM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com  No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey

Cat - N

The ‘quilting hoop’ magnets will clip onto the SQ23 hoop over the metal bars on both sides of the hoop (I have my ASQ22, SQ23, and FA10 hoops out at the moment due to my most recent projects…but not the GR hoop), but the magnets themselves are ineffective because there is quite a large ‘air gap’ between the metal bars and the magnets.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM, <Kathy Skagen> wrote:

[...]

Pam Davison

Thanks -hadn’t heard of these magnets before.  I just ordered some to try them out.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com   No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey

Helen Aarness

Thank you! I found those magnetic clips that were provided to be totally frustrating! I ordered these magnets and hope they work better.

On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

That makes sense. Thanks.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 07:06:49 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

Fran

Diane’s magnet creation works great on my 15000. Now she’s put them on pieces of wood which I plan to try...once I find the wood. Thank you, Diane!

Carole O'Mara

What is the new hoop frame Diane has created using wood? Is there a picture of it or a video? I use Diane’s DIY magnetic hoop to do edge to edge quilting and love it. Thanks.

Carole

valora hammond

She just attached the magnets to a board to make it easy to put on and take off.

On Oct 21, 2021, at 7:16 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@gmail.com> wrote:

What is the new hoop frame Diane has created using wood? Is there a picture of it or a video? I use Diane’s DIY magnetic hoop to do edge to edge quilting and love it. Thanks.

Carole

Pixey

I always thought the magnetic clips that came with the larger, longer sided hoops, like the GR are more to hold the inner and outer hoops together tighter to prevent slippage of thinner materials, stabilizer, etc. or the inner hoop from coming out when taking the hoop off to trim an appliqué or in-the-hoop project. They really aren’t intended for quilted thicknesses like the, quilting specific hoops.

Pixey

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:50 PM, Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

There is a video of Diane’s DIY Magnetic Hoop.  Search for it on youtube.com.  It makes quilting with your embroidery machine so easy.
Carole

On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

[...]

I would definitely go with Diane’s approach if I were doing a larger quilt.  This just gives an alternate magnet to try.

Pixey

On Oct 21, 2021, at 9:43 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Carole. Diane's idea is genius! And her voice is so soothing.
:-)

On Thursday, October 21, 2021, 09:43:39 AM CDT, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

[...]

Roberta K

Hi Pixey,

Could you please explain how you use the magnets in a bit more detail?

Thanks,
Roberta in FL

Cat - N

I don’t know if the clips are strong enough to hold inner and outer hoops together better…they seemed to me to be for holding floating elements until placement/basting stitches were done but also to secure sides of floating elements out from under/away from needle as hoop moves around. I do use them for that when it seems advantageous.

On Oct 21, 2021 at 10:24 AM, <Pixey via groups.io> wrote:

I always thought the magnetic clips that came with the larger, longer sided hoops, like the GR are more to hold the inner and outer hoops together tighter to prevent slippage of thinner materials, stabilizer, etc. or the inner hoop from coming out when taking the hoop off to trim an appliqué or in-the-hoop project.  They really aren’t intended for quilted thicknesses like the, quilting specific hoops.

Pixey
> On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:50 PM, Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you! I found those magnetic clips that were provided to be totally frustrating! I ordered these magnets and hope they work better.
>> On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:
>>
>> I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.
>>
>> I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com   No affiliation, just found them to be useful.
>>
>> And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.
>>
>> Pixey

Carole O'Mara

I have used Diane’s DIY magnetic hoop—usually table runners or table toppers.  But I will use it for my next full size quilt.  With the smaller items, i.e placemats, table toppers, runners, I cut my borders wider than needed.  Also the backing and batting so there is enough fabric to cover the hoop and the magnets to hold everything.  All the extra fabric gets trimmed after the quilting is done on the embroidery machine.  Those extra strips can be cut to widths used to bind the quilt.  I’ve found many designs on embroidery sites—single run, continuous line, etc.  Cost sometimes is less than $2.  Once it’s downloaded to my computer it can be reused.  And with HLS I can resize.  I’d still like to see Diane’s hoop made of wood as mention in an earlier post.  If anyone has a photo, please post.

Carole

On Oct 21, 2021, at 9:16 AM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Stutsman

Finding a specific video on YouTube is a study in frustration. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/DV9bDAYHOQg

Here are photos of the latest addition:

Pixey

I am only using the tops that have the magnets on them.  But I am laying my placemats on the empty hoop and then lining up the SewTites along the metal strips on the sides of the inner hoops.  I am only doing a light single run stipple style of stitching, so the push/pull is minimal and on a small placemat style project is less critical. I do not have a pending project, but this picture with it already stitched out, should give you a sense of what I am doing.  I did go with the small file size version of the picture.

Pixey

On Oct 21, 2021, at 10:22 AM, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:

Hi Pixey,

Could you please explain how you use the magnets in a bit more detail?

Thanks,
Roberta in FL

Ceil J

Pixey,
How strong are those tiles?  I've seen them advertised but never thought they were strong enough to do what you're doing.  I have the Diane magnets and they work well but they are so strong.  I think I'll see if I can find a way to get them onto strips like she did.
Ceil

Cat - N

That’s very similar placement to using the ASQ22 hoop with the DIME topper. The quilt kind of floats across the top of the hoop…not pushed down into it like if you use the Janome magnets that come with the hoop.