Topics

Machine Janome 15000

Theresa Lindal

Found out what I was doing wrong so thought I would repeat what my dealer told me and is quite common.  When we take the needle out we unscrew it just to get the needle out.  So the screw is still partway in therefore the needle doesn’t go all the way up, that makes the thread break.  I’ve been doing that all along until I noticed how the white plastic thing under the bobbin case was all scratched up.
He said it still sees ok now just looks dirty and will replace it.

Other problem I have Jim.  I’ve not been able to wind my bobbin on my machine correctly because when I first got it I cleaned it the first time,took the top tension cove and cleaned the brush the thread goes over, then lifted the cover above that
And cleaned that. For some reason I took the screw out or maybe it wasn’t ever there, don’t know.  So there is no tension when winding the bobbin. My dealer is not who I got it from and doesn’t have that machine in stock so doesn’t think it is what is wrong.  Anyway I am enclosing a picture of it and wondered how I could get it, don’t have a dealer here other than him.

Jim Stutsman

I have deleted the oversize picture and replaced it here with a smaller one. The good news is that you are not the first person in my 25 years of machine servicing to have done this. The bad news is that you are the second. Your persistence in removing the screw is admirable, but didn't you wonder why the head of the screw was larger than the hole above it? That particular screw has a nut under the cover, and that nut is now somewhere inside the top of the machine. It's not likely to cause any trouble there, and vibration may one day cause it to drop out while you're sewing. I don't know whether you removed the other parts, but you will never be able to wind a bobbin in the current state. Even if you've kept all the parts that came out with the screw, they are VERY difficult to assemble correctly, and it's just as difficult to get the whole lot back together. The fastest way out of the mess is to have a dealer order a new complete top cover, which comes with all parts installed. This will not be cheap, but installing it just requires removing 3 screws. You will probably still have to adjust the bobbin winder, using the screw that would normally be under the hole in the photo, but that's done while winding a bobbin and making SMALL changes turning the screw left or right until it winds correctly.

The lesson for all of us in this is that if Janome made an area available for cleaning, as in the case of 15000s made before the Quilt Maker edition, it will be detailed in the instruction book. If something requires tools, it's probably not a good idea to proceed without a service manual.

Theresa Lindal

Thank you Jim, so I will just wind bobbins on another machine.  I know now not to do things like that again.  I’ve always loved learning how to fix things,  I’m pretty old so this machine will be the only one for me so it will do without the bobbin winder,  as always thanks again.