Machine Issues

Fiona Williams

Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you so soon after your birthday but I am a little worried about my machine and don’t want to tamper with it without advice.
I know it needs service but I am trying to get 5 Christmas projects done first as service for me is far and it usually takes awhile.
So the other day I was sewing and pulling pins out as I sewed. One pin flipped off my finger and I am pretty sure went down the small open screw hole to the right of the needle on the needle plate. I took off the needle plate and looked but couldn’t see anything so I took my brush and cleaned out the bobbin area. It seems to be sewing fine but is now squeaking when I sew. I am worried to ruin my machine but really need these projects done. I am not mechanical or a techy so it scares me to try and do too much to the machine on my own.
Are there any steps you can recommend I try to try and alleviate the squeaking sound when I sew? Things I should check or do that I might not be aware of?

Thanks
Fiona

Jim Stutsman

Most of the time when pins fall into the machine, they fall to the bottom of the cover at the base of the machine. This cover is like a large tray, and there is a fair bit of space between the bottom of the cover and moving parts. It was very common for me to remove the bottom cover of a machine and find one or more pins, sometimes a LOT of pins. So odds are good that it's down there, but not causing trouble. The squeak is probably not related, but it is something of concern. The amount of concern depends on where it's coming from. Perform a simple test - remove the bobbin case, put the plate back on, and stitch a few stitches without thread. It will stop with a broken thread message, and you'll have to repeat a few times. Listen for the squeak. If it's gone, then the issue is likely due to one or more burrs on the hook race that are slowly filing off tiny bits of dust from the bottom of the bobbin case. If you see a thin white or gray line on the bottom of the bobbin case, that confirms it. There is not much you can do about that yourself, but you'll want to point it out when taking it in for service.

If it still squeaks with the bobbin case removed, I can't offer much without knowing where the squeak is coming from. A pin might get caught between the coils of one of the springs that live in the bottom of the machine, and it might just squeak without causing trouble. What you might consider is to ask the technician to just remove the bottom cover, check for pins and remove whatever other debris is in there, then put it back. This is minimal labor, takes only minutes, and if you bring a plate of brownies it might get done while you wait. Also promise to bring it back for a full service after your projects are done. Good luck!

Fiona Williams

Thank you Jim I will follow your suggestions. Sadly for service I have to first take my machine to a shop in Hamilton who has their service person pick it up and take it to London. So nothing is quick for me when it comes to service and in fact I have never even met the service person. I local shop does service but not on the 15000 😢. I will start from your advice though and move on from there. Bad time of year for problems!!!

Thanks Again
Fiona

On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Most of the time when pins fall into the machine, they fall to the bottom of the cover at the base of the machine. This cover is like a large tray, and there is a fair bit of space between the bottom of the cover and moving parts. It was very common for me to remove the bottom cover of a machine and find one or more pins, sometimes a LOT of pins. So odds are good that it's down there, but not causing trouble. The squeak is probably not related, but it is something of concern. The amount of concern depends on where it's coming from. Perform a simple test - remove the bobbin case, put the plate back on, and stitch a few stitches without thread. It will stop with a broken thread message, and you'll have to repeat a few times. Listen for the squeak. If it's gone, then the issue is likely due to one or more burrs on the hook race that are slowly filing off tiny bits of dust from the bottom of the bobbin case. If you see a thin white or gray line on the bottom of the bobbin case, that confirms it. There is not much you can do about that yourself, but you'll want to point it out when taking it in for service.

If it still squeaks with the bobbin case removed, I can't offer much without knowing where the squeak is coming from. A pin might get caught between the coils of one of the springs that live in the bottom of the machine, and it might just squeak without causing trouble. What you might consider is to ask the technician to just remove the bottom cover, check for pins and remove whatever other debris is in there, then put it back. This is minimal labor, takes only minutes, and if you bring a plate of brownies it might get done while you wait. Also promise to bring it back for a full service after your projects are done. Good luck!

Fiona Williams

Thank you so much I followed your instructions and no squeak but gave the bobbin area a good cleaning and reset the bobbin case and now no squeak!!! Thank you so much. I am always afraid to tinker with the bobbin area.

Have a great day Jim. And I did wish you a Happy Birthday but I don’t think it posted so I belated Happy Birthday and I hope it was a great one!!

Fiona

On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:53 AM, Fiona Williams via groups.io <f.taylorwilliams@...> wrote:

Thank you Jim I will follow your suggestions. Sadly for service I have to first take my machine to a shop in Hamilton who has their service person pick it up and take it to London. So nothing is quick for me when it comes to service and in fact I have never even met the service person. I local shop does service but not on the 15000 😢. I will start from your advice though and move on from there. Bad time of year for problems!!!

Thanks Again
Fiona

On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote: