From: Linda Thompson <lynnlind81@...>
Date: 11/29/21 8:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] MAC Apple with 15000

For some reason I think Apple Macs work with the 15000 and horizon suite that came with my machine.  After doing some reading tonight, I am confused.    Does the MAC WiFi to the machine?  Is there an advantage to buying a MAC.  I can buy it locally and have personal support.  We don’t have computer repair locally.

Lyn Quine

15000 only works with iPad.  I have transferred to 15000 with Janome V5.5, but that’s windows software. It doesn’t work with iMac or apple phones or laptops.

On 29 Nov 2021, at 14:02, Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier@...> wrote:

No not without windows software.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

From: Linda Thompson <lynnlind81@...>
Date: 11/29/21 8:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io

For some reason I think Apple Macs work with the 15000 and horizon suite that came with my machine.  After doing some reading tonight, I am confused.    Does the MAC WiFi to the machine?  Is there an advantage to buying a MAC.  I can buy it locally and have personal support.  We don’t have computer repair locally.

Helen Aarness

Thank you, Jim. This is very helpful! Hubs is planning to go Apple for the main computer. I figured I would get a small PC for Sewing.

On Nov 29, 2021, at 6:18 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy Skagen

Although I now use a PC, I agree with you Maria. My husband has always used PCs for business and I used a Mac as a teacher. At one point we went over our years of computer purchases and my husband realized that he had to purchase about 4 Pcs to each of my Macs. He never bought a new PC until the old one just didn't work anymore. At that point we had 1 working PC and 3 working Macs. The oldest Mac was 15-20 years old and still worked. My husband switched to Macs. :-) So, Macs are expensive but they work as well as you said and they last. I used a Mac with one of the software programs that runs Windows for my digitizing software for years with no problems at all.
Kathy

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 08:36:04 AM CST, Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...> wrote:

[...]

Couldn’t agree more!

Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Nov 29, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Barbara Castle

Oh my gosh, thank you! This is so helpful. I am about to buy a cheap-ish new laptop for just this kind of thing.

Barbara Castle

[...]

This an excellent post Jim. As I was reading it, I thought, "I need to print this so that I know what to look for in a computer should mine pass away.: That is exactly what I am doing right now! Thank you so much for the information and for the time it took to write it. I really appreciate it.
Kathy

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 05:55:22 PM CST, Barbara Castle <barb.w.castle@...> wrote:

[...]

Linda Thompson

Jim, I am tired of PCs getting so sllllooooow in a couple years.  I don’t have access to a computer repair person, until quite recently; this company can get and service apples as well as PCs.  So, if I store my purchased designs on the Apple, can I move it to a drop box and pick it up on my IPad and iPhone ?  That program is sufficient for my editing of designs and loading on the machine.

Jim Stutsman

Yes, you certainly can do that. Dropbox is available on all the devices you mentioned. I would also point out that if you use StitchBuddy on the Mac & iPad and store your designs in iCloud, they will also be available on your iPad. There's not a great deal of value having them on the iPhone, but iCloud will be available there as well.

Melanie Dumas

I have been trying to follow all this.
I have the 15000 updated to the Quiltmaker Version 3 and have not yet done a lot of embroidery work.
I have an old Mac and and the Ipad 2 that came with the 15000 at sometime. I also have purchased an HP pc so as to update a computer which would work with the 15000. I believe I have installed the latest version of the Horizon Link Suite on the PC as well as Dropbox.
What of all of the above is necessary or will be helpful when I get to do some embroidery work?
Or will it apply to all functions of the 15000?
Trying to understand all this…thanks in advance for setting me straight!

On Nov 30, 2021, at 5:46 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yes, you certainly can do that. Dropbox is available on all the devices you mentioned. I would also point out that if you use StitchBuddy on the Mac & iPad and store your designs in iCloud, they will also be available on your iPad. There's not a great deal of value having them on the iPhone, but iCloud will be available there as well.

Linda Thompson

Jim, and all others, thank you all for the input!   I’m going to stay with the purchase of the Apple Mac, get Stitch Buddy, and clean up my Dropbox, but remain hopeful of using just Apple and StitchBuddy to with with my IPad.  And, know this computer will be more durable.  Thank you, and have a sweet and blessed Christmas.  Linda
,

Jim Stutsman

Your best option is to stick with the HP PC using the Janome software. The iPad is iPad 2, which cannot be updated to use the latest apps. The old Mac might be able to run Windows under a virtualization program, but since you already have a PC there is no reason to do that.

Melanie Dumas

How does Dropbox fit in?