MAC Apple with 15000

Linda Thompson

For some reason I think Apple Macs work with the 15000 and horizon suite that came with my machine.  After doing some reading tonight, I am confused.    Does the MAC WiFi to the machine?  Is there an advantage to buying a MAC.  I can buy it locally and have personal support.  We don’t have computer repair locally.

Virginia

No not without windows software. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/29/21 8:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] MAC Apple with 15000

For some reason I think Apple Macs work with the 15000 and horizon suite that came with my machine.  After doing some reading tonight, I am confused.    Does the MAC WiFi to the machine?  Is there an advantage to buying a MAC.  I can buy it locally and have personal support.  We don’t have computer repair locally.

Lyn Quine

15000 only works with iPad.  I have transferred to 15000 with Janome V5.5, but that’s windows software. It doesn’t work with iMac or apple phones or laptops.

On 29 Nov 2021, at 14:02, Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier@...> wrote:

Jim Stutsman

This has always been a confusing issue, and it's gotten worse. Here are the basic facts:
  • The ONLY Janome software that runs natively on a Mac is Artistic Digitizer.
  • You can run the Janome software on a Mac using a virtual machine program, such as VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Virtual Box. There are some conditions that apply. You must have a copy of Windows. It cannot be a copy that came with a PC, but rather is a stand-alone version. These are usually sold as OEM. Your Mac MUST use an Intel processor. Until last year, that was all current Macs. However Apple has now moved to making their own chips. The new Macs come with an Apple M1 processor. These WILL NOT run Windows in any form, with the exception that there is a version of Parallels that will run Windows for ARM. That's of no help with Janome software, because it's not written to run on Windows ARM.
  • Many people (that would be me) prefer a Mac. The software that comes with a 15000 will not run natively on a Mac, except as noted above. However if you only need software to organize your designs, with maybe some light editing, there is an excellent native Mac program called StitchBuddy. It will transfer designs to a USB drive plugged into a Mac, but it will not send designs wirelessly.
  • What many people do is buy a cheap PC just to run their Janome software. These are always on sale, especially at the Big Box stores like Best Buy, Staples, even Walmart. Most of the time the cheapest model is HP. If you don't know much about computers, the tendency is to assume they are all essentially the same, so you may as well buy the cheapest. If we applied that to sewing machines, you wouldn't buy a Memory Craft 15000 when you could get a machine at Walmart for $150. The difference comes with capability. Periodically people will ask me what PC to buy. Even though I no longer use a PC, I do have some basic recommendations. Don't get a computer with a standard hard disk drive. Instead opt for an SSD (Solid State Drive). These are dramatically faster and last longer than the spinning platter in a conventional hard drive. Buy more RAM. Again looking at this in sewing terms, RAM is the size of your sewing room. If it's tiny (ducking "the look" from Diane, who sews in a too-small room) things are difficult. Not having enough RAM in a computer will make it slow, and under Windows, prone to crashing. All of the cheap computers will have the minimum RAM to run Windows. These days that's probably 8 Gigabytes. Opt for 16GB or more. The last thing to consider is graphics. Cheap computers will usually have minimal graphic capability. If you only use the stock Janome software that's fine. But if you want to use either Janome digitizing program, you'll need better graphics. Usually this will be reflected as a quantity of video RAM (VRAM). If it says "integrated" video, that means the graphic RAM is shared with program RAM. This means slower operation when digitizing, if you can use it at all. For less graphic-intensive software integrated video is OK, but again with RAM bigger is always better.
  • Computer software complexity is now orders of magnitude higher than ever. I suspect there is no longer any one person who knows all the parts of Windows. If software programs were cities, Windows started out as Buffalo, NY, and has become New York City. At one time Apple software was the best in the world. However since the unfortunate passing of Steve Jobs, focus has moved from being the best to making the stockholders happy. Now all I can say is that Apple software is the least bad. When things go wrong the lack of local repair is always an issue. Janome has pretty good technical support, but as far as I know it's still a single person. That means waiting a while. The situation is worse for hardware support. The Big Box stores have support (e.g. Geek Squad at Best Buy), but don't count on them for help with your Janome software. These are mostly guys who haven't been shaving more than a few years. They can give cheat codes for any computer game in the world, but say "sewing" and you'll get a blank look.
By now you're thinking "Jeez, I asked how to boil an egg and this idiot has told me how to build a Michelin star restaurant." I would recommend that anyone who is not comfortable with computers print this post and save it for when you start computer shopping. I hope it's helpful.

Maria Morrow

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that after 35 years of using a PC from the day they hit my desktop (office administration), I got a Mac.  I heard the angels sing!  It took me about a month to get comfortable with it.  I’ve had my own Mac for 6 years now—not one virus (and no virus protection); not one problem; loads way faster than even a newer pc; easier to edit pdf documents—it’s built in to a Mac.  My husband the engineer says pc’s are needed in most technical fields...but for little old me for home and my longarm business use, I couldn’t love it more.

Maria Morrow
MamaMiaQuilting@...

On Nov 29, 2021, at 8:11 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

15000 only works with iPad.  I have transferred to 15000 with Janome V5.5, but that’s windows software. It doesn’t work with iMac or apple phones or laptops.

Helen Aarness

Thank you, Jim. This is very helpful! Hubs is planning to go Apple for the main computer. I figured I would get a small PC for Sewing. 

On Nov 29, 2021, at 6:18 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

This has always been a confusing issue, and it's gotten worse. Here are the basic facts:
  • You can run the Janome software on a Mac using a virtual machine program, such as VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Virtual Box. There are some conditions that apply. You must have a copy of Windows. It cannot be a copy that came with a PC, but rather is a stand-alone version. These are usually sold as OEM. Your Mac MUST use an Intel processor. Until last year, that was all current Macs. However Apple has now moved to making their own chips. The new Macs come with an Apple M1 processor. These WILL NOT run Windows in any form, with the exception that there is a version of Parallels that will run Windows for ARM. That's of no help with Janome software, because it's not written to run on Windows ARM.
  • Many people (that would be me) prefer a Mac. The software that comes with a 15000 will not run natively on a Mac, except as noted above. However if you only need software to organize your designs, with maybe some light editing, there is an excellent native Mac program called StitchBuddy. It will transfer designs to a USB drive plugged into a Mac, but it will not send designs wirelessly.
  • What many people do is buy a cheap PC just to run their Janome software. These are always on sale, especially at the Big Box stores like Best Buy, Staples, even Walmart. Most of the time the cheapest model is HP. If you don't know much about computers, the tendency is to assume they are all essentially the same, so you may as well buy the cheapest. If we applied that to sewing machines, you wouldn't buy a Memory Craft 15000 when you could get a machine at Walmart for $150. The difference comes with capability. Periodically people will ask me what PC to buy. Even though I no longer use a PC, I do have some basic recommendations. Don't get a computer with a standard hard disk drive. Instead opt for an SSD (Solid State Drive). These are dramatically faster and last longer than the spinning platter in a conventional hard drive. Buy more RAM. Again looking at this in sewing terms, RAM is the size of your sewing room. If it's tiny (ducking "the look" from Diane, who sews in a too-small room) things are difficult. Not having enough RAM in a computer will make it slow, and under Windows, prone to crashing. All of the cheap computers will have the minimum RAM to run Windows. These days that's probably 8 Gigabytes. Opt for 16GB or more. The last thing to consider is graphics. Cheap computers will usually have minimal graphic capability. If you only use the stock Janome software that's fine. But if you want to use either Janome digitizing program, you'll need better graphics. Usually this will be reflected as a quantity of video RAM (VRAM). If it says "integrated" video, that means the graphic RAM is shared with program RAM. This means slower operation when digitizing, if you can use it at all. For less graphic-intensive software integrated video is OK, but again with RAM bigger is always better.
  • Computer software complexity is now orders of magnitude higher than ever. I suspect there is no longer any one person who knows all the parts of Windows. If software programs were cities, Windows started out as Buffalo, NY, and has become New York City. At one time Apple software was the best in the world. However since the unfortunate passing of Steve Jobs, focus has moved from being the best to making the stockholders happy. Now all I can say is that Apple software is the least bad. When things go wrong the lack of local repair is always an issue. Janome has pretty good technical support, but as far as I know it's still a single person. That means waiting a while. The situation is worse for hardware support. The Big Box stores have support (e.g. Geek Squad at Best Buy), but don't count on them for help with your Janome software. These are mostly guys who haven't been shaving more than a few years. They can give cheat codes for any computer game in the world, but say "sewing" and you'll get a blank look.
By now you're thinking "Jeez, I asked how to boil an egg and this idiot has told me how to build a Michelin star restaurant." I would recommend that anyone who is not comfortable with computers print this post and save it for when you start computer shopping. I hope it's helpful.

Kathy Skagen

Although I now use a PC, I agree with you Maria. My husband has always used PCs for business and I used a Mac as a teacher. At one point we went over our years of computer purchases and my husband realized that he had to purchase about 4 Pcs to each of my Macs. He never bought a new PC until the old one just didn't work anymore. At that point we had 1 working PC and 3 working Macs. The oldest Mac was 15-20 years old and still worked. My husband switched to Macs. :-) So, Macs are expensive but they work as well as you said and they last. I used a Mac with one of the software programs that runs Windows for my digitizing software for years with no problems at all.
Kathy

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 08:36:04 AM CST, Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...> wrote:

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that after 35 years of using a PC from the day they hit my desktop (office administration), I got a Mac.  I heard the angels sing!  It took me about a month to get comfortable with it.  I’ve had my own Mac for 6 years now—not one virus (and no virus protection); not one problem; loads way faster than even a newer pc; easier to edit pdf documents—it’s built in to a Mac.  My husband the engineer says pc’s are needed in most technical fields...but for little old me for home and my longarm business use, I couldn’t love it more.

Maria Morrow
MamaMiaQuilting@...

Maria Morrow

Couldn’t agree more!

Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Nov 29, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Although I now use a PC, I agree with you Maria. My husband has always used PCs for business and I used a Mac as a teacher. At one point we went over our years of computer purchases and my husband realized that he had to purchase about 4 Pcs to each of my Macs. He never bought a new PC until the old one just didn't work anymore. At that point we had 1 working PC and 3 working Macs. The oldest Mac was 15-20 years old and still worked. My husband switched to Macs. :-) So, Macs are expensive but they work as well as you said and they last. I used a Mac with one of the software programs that runs Windows for my digitizing software for years with no problems at all.
Kathy

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 08:36:04 AM CST, Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...> wrote:

Maria Morrow
MamaMiaQuilting@...

Barbara Castle

Oh my gosh, thank you! This is so helpful. I am about to buy a cheap-ish new laptop for just this kind of thing. 

Barbara Castle

On Nov 29, 2021, at 6:18 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Kathy Skagen

This an excellent post Jim. As I was reading it, I thought, "I need to print this so that I know what to look for in a computer should mine pass away.: That is exactly what I am doing right now! Thank you so much for the information and for the time it took to write it. I really appreciate it.
Kathy

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 05:55:22 PM CST, Barbara Castle <barb.w.castle@...> wrote:

Oh my gosh, thank you! This is so helpful. I am about to buy a cheap-ish new laptop for just this kind of thing. 

Barbara Castle

Linda Thompson

Jim, I am tired of PCs getting so sllllooooow in a couple years.  I don’t have access to a computer repair person, until quite recently; this company can get and service apples as well as PCs.  So, if I store my purchased designs on the Apple, can I move it to a drop box and pick it up on my IPad and iPhone ?  That program is sufficient for my editing of designs and loading on the machine.  

Jim Stutsman

Yes, you certainly can do that. Dropbox is available on all the devices you mentioned. I would also point out that if you use StitchBuddy on the Mac & iPad and store your designs in iCloud, they will also be available on your iPad. There's not a great deal of value having them on the iPhone, but iCloud will be available there as well.

Melanie Dumas

I have been trying to follow all this.
I have the 15000 updated to the Quiltmaker Version 3 and have not yet done a lot of embroidery work. 
I have an old Mac and and the Ipad 2 that came with the 15000 at sometime. I also have purchased an HP pc so as to update a computer which would work with the 15000. I believe I have installed the latest version of the Horizon Link Suite on the PC as well as Dropbox.
What of all of the above is necessary or will be helpful when I get to do some embroidery work?
Or will it apply to all functions of the 15000? 
Trying to understand all this…thanks in advance for setting me straight!

On Nov 30, 2021, at 5:46 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yes, you certainly can do that. Dropbox is available on all the devices you mentioned. I would also point out that if you use StitchBuddy on the Mac & iPad and store your designs in iCloud, they will also be available on your iPad. There's not a great deal of value having them on the iPhone, but iCloud will be available there as well.

Linda Thompson

Jim, and all others, thank you all for the input!   I’m going to stay with the purchase of the Apple Mac, get Stitch Buddy, and clean up my Dropbox, but remain hopeful of using just Apple and StitchBuddy to with with my IPad.  And, know this computer will be more durable.  Thank you, and have a sweet and blessed Christmas.  Linda

Jim Stutsman

Your best option is to stick with the HP PC using the Janome software. The iPad is iPad 2, which cannot be updated to use the latest apps. The old Mac might be able to run Windows under a virtualization program, but since you already have a PC there is no reason to do that.

Melanie Dumas

How does Dropbox fit in?

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 9:42 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Your best option is to stick with the HP PC using the Janome software. The iPad is iPad 2, which cannot be updated to use the latest apps. The old Mac might be able to run Windows under a virtualization program, but since you already have a PC there is no reason to do that.