Long quilting patterns for 9850?

Betty <Betty@...>

New to the group. I am trying to do a quilting stich on the border of a quilt. All the embroidery stitches are too narrow and too much thread. I am looking for a simple wave pattern or something appropriate for a 2" border. Do not know if the is a way to find and import that type of stitch.
Betty

Karen Edgecombe

I do a wavy stitch with a walking foot. Then I weave the opposite way on the second pass so it crosses the first one and makes the pattern.

On Aug 31, 2021, at 5:33 PM, Betty <Betty@...> wrote:

New to the group. I am trying to do a quilting stich on the border of a quilt. All the embroidery stitches are too narrow and too much thread. I am looking for a simple wave pattern or something appropriate for a 2" border. Do not know if the is a way to find and import that type of stitch.
Betty

Dottie Newkirk

I'm not familiar with your machine, but just looked it up.  I'm "guessing" you want to use the embroidery part of the machine vs. the sewing part to do the quilting?  If you're unable to use an embroidery stitch that you like (built in to your machine), you might want to purchase a quilting pattern from one of the embroidery sites (Embroidery Library comes to mind and they have all kinds of patterns and sizes).  If you want to do it on your machine (manually), you might want to try stitch 5 under the quilt menu (page 1 of 4 stitches).  Hope this will help.  Dottie in Texas

Betty
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Virginia

Using a twin needle looks nice also.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/31/21 11:11 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Long quilting patterns for 9850?

I do a wavy stitch with a walking foot. Then I weave the opposite way on the second pass so it crosses the first one and makes the pattern.

On Aug 31, 2021, at 5:33 PM, Betty <Betty@...> wrote:

Betty

Betty <Betty@...>

Thanks for your help. I would love to take a 9" square and have the machine do a quilting pattern on the squarte. I am only able to use small embroderiey tiches. I could do a free hand pattern but would love to program each square. Any suggestions?
Trying to learn a new machine.
Betty

Cat - N

Hi, Betty.  I often quilt in my embroidery hoops. In fact, I am creating a design combo for a friend’s quilt for her newest grandson-to-be right now.  For this project, I purchased several designs that were quilt ‘theme’ consistent and am considering which I want to use. These are edge-to-edge (e2e) patterns  designed for embroidery machines, but I plan to use them as ‘block’ designs. There are ‘block’ designs as well, depending on what you want, and since a long arm quilter lived here, I also have “theme” long arm e2e designs, in case she wants it quilted on the long arm instead. 

There are lots of quilting patterns for embroidery hoops created by others. Designs by JuJu, to name one I am remembering off the top at the moment, have lots of quilting designs but they are by far not the only ones that sell quilting patterns for QITH.  I also buy long arm designs so that’s what’s coming to mind mostly right now. 😁

Check the size before purchasing the design to make sure it will fit in your hoops. 

You also mentioned you’d like to ‘program each square’ so I’m not sure if you mean “digitize” or “compose ready-made” designs. I also digitize my own quilting designs using Wilcom Hatch, but there are other digitizing software packages, too. They might be a bit pricier than you’d expect so it’s your decision. 

I have a Janome 11000 v.3.10, and a Janome 15000 v.3, both of which have AcuQuilt, which comes with a special magnetic hoop designed for QITH. For the 11000, I have two sizes of AcuQuilt magnetic, quilting hoops. I don’t know if there is a ‘quilting’ hoop for your 9850, but I see in the manual there are some quilting designs preloaded in the 9850 by Janome for two of the hoops. You could certainly hoop a test quilt sandwich and give it a try.  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Sep 1, 2021 at 3:38 PM, <Betty> wrote:

Thanks for your help. I would love to take a 9" square and have the machine do a quilting pattern on the squarte. I am only able to use small embroderiey tiches. I could do a free hand pattern but would love to program each square. Any suggestions?
Betty

Kaye Lessard

I believe the largest hoop for the 9850 is 6.7” x 7.9”
So the biggest square you could do would be 6.7 “ x 6.7”
Kaye in la

SewingRose

Yesterday I bought some quilting designs from this site, which is having a sale right now as well ...  https://www.kreativekiwiembroidery.co.nz/quilting-outline.html

I have absolutely NO affiliation but I did sign up for their newsletter from the beginning and often buy their designs as well.  They also have a lot of YouTube videos and post a new one every week.

I am planning a quilt at the moment and hope to start in a few weeks which is why I was looking for in-hoop quilting designs yesterday.   I have used their stippling designs on quilted jackets and cushions etc. 

Hope this helps? 

Betty <Betty@...>

Think I figured it out. The quilting stitches that come on the machine can not be made that much larger without specific software. The largest I can expand them to is 1 3/4” x 1 3/4 which is very small for quilting and somewhat disappointing. This is not at all what I was expecting but now I can move on and know that it is necessary to purchase patterns to get what I want. Thank you for letting me know about this quilt pattern site. Purchasing a pattern is my next step.

Betty

Betty <Betty@...>

The largest hoop that came with the Janine 9850 is 8.5” x 9.25” measured from inside edge to inside edge.

Betty

On Sep 2, 2021, at 4:53 PM, Kaye Lessard <ekay50@hughes.net> wrote:

I believe the largest hoop for the 9850 is 6.7” x 7.9”
So the biggest square you could do would be 6.7 “ x 6.7”
Kaye in la

Cat - N

Interior hoop area ‘physical’ measurements accommodate ‘jogging the needle’ (keys circled as “8” on pg 99 of the 9850 manual) with some extra room so the embroidery foot (hopefully) never hits the hoop, and the needle (hopefully) never tries to stitch through the hoop frame.  😘

“Hoop size” of the largest hoop as listed in the manual is shown as the same size as the “embroidery size” (embroidery field)…not the physical interior measurements.  

However, I personally wouldn’t try to stitch a design that is larger than the embroidery field (embroidery size) in any of my hoops on either of my embroidery machines.  That’s not a racket I want to hear…not a repair bill I want to pay…and I haven’t seen a new machine I want to buy!  😁

- Cat

On Sep 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM, <Betty> wrote:

The largest hoop that came with the Janine 9850 is 8.5” x 9.25” measured from inside edge to inside edge.

Betty  
> On Sep 2, 2021, at 4:53 PM, Kaye Lessard <ekay50@...> wrote:
>  
> I believe the largest hoop for the 9850 is 6.7” x 7.9”  
> So the biggest square you could do would be 6.7 “ x 6.7”
> Kaye in la
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  

Cat - N

I probably should also have mentioned that your machine won’t recognize a design that won’t fit inside your hoop…and it knows what hoop sizes are available. 

- Cat

On Sep 3, 2021 at 4:41 PM, <Cat - N via groups.io> wrote:

Interior hoop area ‘physical’ measurements accommodate ‘jogging the needle’ (keys circled as “8” on pg 99 of the 9850 manual) with some extra room so the embroidery foot (hopefully) never hits the hoop, and the needle (hopefully) never tries to stitch through the hoop frame.  😘

“Hoop size” of the largest hoop as listed in the manual is shown as the same size as the “embroidery size” (embroidery field)…not the physical interior measurements.  

However, I personally wouldn’t try to stitch a design that is larger than the embroidery field (embroidery size) in any of my hoops on either of my embroidery machines.  That’s not a racket I want to hear…not a repair bill I want to pay…and I haven’t seen a new machine I want to buy!  😁

- Cat

On Sep 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM, <Betty> wrote:

Betty   
> On Sep 2, 2021, at 4:53 PM, Kaye Lessard <ekay50@...> wrote:
>   
> I believe the largest hoop for the 9850 is 6.7” x 7.9”   
> So the biggest square you could do would be 6.7 “ x 6.7”
> Kaye in la
>   
>   
>   
>   
>   

Pixey

Hi Betty,

Many commercial providers offer digitized designs that emulate free motion quilting for squares.  They do vary in quality and understanding of the intended process.  They include Embroidery Library, Julia’s Needle Designs, Anita Goodesign, Kimberbell, Amelie Scott, Amazing Designs, OESD, etc.  (I have no affiliation to any of these, just different ones I have explored).  Some are single run stitch while others use a triple stitch or bean stitch to make the design stand out more.

If you wanted to create a custom design, then you need to have a fairly sophisticated version of digitizing software that will allow you to create freehand designs or convert artwork into design files the machine can read.  There are a number of these out there as well created by different companies. I have Hatch by Wilcom and an older version of Janome MBX.  Others are Artistic Digitizer, Embrilliance, Embird, the DIME (Designs in Machine Embroidery) software, or the Floriani Software.  Some of these will offer trials so you can take a test drive before buying.

Pixey

On Sep 1, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Betty <Betty@...> wrote:

Betty