Jim's Metalllic Thread Spindle

Chris Krause <nckrause@...>

Thanks for the vertical thread spindle instructions, Jim. I finished mine
yesterday and it works beautifully (added a pic of it in action to the photo
section). Now if I could only find metallic thread that works beautifully,
as well. I'm making a bunch of little sparkle felt mitts for gift card
holders, and am adding silver embroidery. I do sew at a slow speed with a
metallic needle, but had a lot of breakage until I tried the third type of
metallic thread. The first was a so-so thickish Gutermann, the second was
very fine (terrible!!!), and the third works pretty well - but there's no
brand name on it! Argh! It's a polyester blend, and there's some French on
the label, so I'm guessing it's some made-for-Canada blend (have no idea
where or when I bought it). I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled
wherever I see metallic thread sold.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is, if you're having difficulty with
metallics consider trying a different brand of thread. I was amazed at the
difference.

Four types of machine feet for the 12000 arrived in Vancouver this week,
along with a two thread spool stand - yay! Can't wait to get me some!

Chris

We had pretty good results with WonderFil metallic thread. They use a rayon core instead of polyester, which makes for a softer thread. We used it on the MB-4 to do a triple-run stitch design at 800 stitches per minute with only one break in 40,000 stitches.
http://www.wonderfil.net/wonderfilcms/v1/Default.aspx#fragment-13

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Krause" <nckrause@...> wrote:

[...]

Anna C Simon <rbs11739@...>

Jim,

Have you ever used BFC Threads? They say it is made with Trilobal Poly fibers,whatever that is.

--- In janome12000@..., "Chris Krause" wrote:

> Thanks for the vertical thread spindle instructions, Jim. I finished mine
> yesterday and it works beautifully (added a pic of it in action to the photo
> section). Now if I could only find metallic thread that works beautifully,
> as well. I'm making a bunch of little sparkle felt mitts for gift card
> holders, and am adding silver embroidery. I do sew at a slow speed with a
> metallic needle, but had a lot of breakage until I tried the third type of
> metallic thread. The first was a so-so thickish Gutermann, the second was
> very fine (terrible!!!), and the third works pretty well - but there's no
> brand name on it! Argh! It's a polyester blend, and there's some French on
> the label, so I'm guessing it's some made-for-Canada blend (have no idea
> where or when I bought it). I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled
> wherever I see metallic thread sold.
>
> Anyhow, the moral of the story is, if you're having difficulty with
> metallics consider trying a different brand of thread. I was amazed at the
> difference.
>
> Four types of machine feet for the 12000 arrived in Vancouver this week,
> along with a two thread spool stand - yay! Can't wait to get me some!
>
> Chris

No, but most metallics have polyester cores, which is what "Trilobal Poly" means.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anna C Simon" <rbs11739@...> wrote:

Jim,

Have you ever used BFC Threads? They say it is made with Trilobal Poly
fibers,whatever that is.

We had pretty good results with WonderFil metallic thread. They use a rayon
core instead of polyester, which makes for a softer thread. We used it on
the MB-4 to do a triple-run stitch design at 800 stitches per minute with
only one break in 40,000 stitches.
http://www.wonderfil.net/wonderfilcms/v1/Default.aspx#fragment-13

Chris Krause <nckrause@...>

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. Sounds like a keeper!