Janome HD Roller Foot for Janome 7mm and 9mm High Shank Machines

Carole O'Mara

I have just watched video for a roller foot that has a small 'tire' on the side.  It can be used for free motion quilting, stitch in the ditch and much more. It was originally meant for sewing leather/vinyl.  I saw the video on YouTube but was not able to link here.  However go to YouTube and put in Gina's Pro Tips - Bernina Leather Roller Foot #55 in the search bar.  The demo is done on a Bernina.  I was able to find the foot on Sewvacdirect for Janome 7mm & 9mm w/o AcuFeed but shows compatibility with MC15000 (I have MC15000 with Acufeed).  So some conflict there.   I looked on Janome site to find this foot that is compatible with 15000 but no luck finding it.  Does anyone have this foot for know about it?  How do you like/use it?
Thanks,
Carole - CO

favymtz

Janome dealers should all carry the foot compatible with the 15000. Just last week I asked my dealer about it and am scheduled to go in and test it out before purchasing it.
It's pretty expensive so they're letting me try before buying.
The video I saw about it also showed doing a sort of "free motion" quilting using the foot which is what I was interested in trying.

--
Favymtz

Carole O'Mara

I ordered the HD Roller Foot and should have it Monday--with a free return--so I can try it at home on my machine and fabrics.  I, too, am interested in using it for free motion look.  But this foot appears to be useful for shadow quilting or following a design in a fabric. I do as much as I can using the embroidery mode (on the 15000) to quilt my quilts.  There are many stitches to choose from instead of straight stitch in the ditch that I've used, too.   I'll report back.  I'll be interested to hear our thoughts after you try it.
Thanks,
Carole - CO

Pixey

I purchased one on sale last fall to use on my HD9 when sewing purse style projects but have not had a chance to use it yet because things got sidetracked for a few months by my husband’s recovery from broken leg.  May be trying it soon as I am currently at work on a new purse project.

I suspect the confusion about compatibility comes from the fact that there have been two different styles of Acufeed used on Janome machines.  The older Acufeed system on the 6600P came all the way down from the machine to hook into the foot and was much more ‘in-the-way’ behind the shaft than the newer Acufeed Flex style of the 15000 where most of the mechanics are actually located within the removable foot system and the single connection point to drive the motion is much higher and more out of the way.

Pixey

On Mar 25, 2021, at 11:16 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Janome dealers should all carry the foot compatible with the 15000. Just last week I asked my dealer about it and am scheduled to go in and test it out before purchasing it.
It's pretty expensive so they're letting me try before buying.
The video I saw about it also showed doing a sort of "free motion" quilting using the foot which is what I was interested in trying.

--
Favymtz

Carole O'Mara

The HD foot that I ordered has arrived and I've had some time to give it a test.  The diagrams and instructions are minimal.  I was able to find the foot on the Janome site with a larger photo of the foot, but with same instructions.  Nowhere are there instructions or in the photo that show that the roller must rest on the left or right feed dog.  It's the feed dog that drives the roller.  The needle must be moved to the furtherest left or right position.  So the foot is used with the zig-zag plate, not single hole.  The foot pressure also has to be adjusted.  Once I had it all set, I made a quilt sandwich and began sewing using the straight stitch.  Unlike the dual feed or walking foot, by the time I got to the end of the sandwich (about 10") the top fabric was longer than the bottom.  I then did some wavy lines, again top fabric feeding faster than bottom fabric.  I then made a larger sandwich (20"x20")--same result. With a sandwich that size I could not do anything other than straight or wavy--no circles as could not turn the fabric to do any kind of design.  Clearly, this foot is very specialized for leather and vinyl.  Or I do not have the right adjustments made.  I was hoping to use this foot for free motion look.  Instead, I'll use Diane's DIY magnetic hoop with purchased continuous run designs for quilting a quilt.   If anyone has suggestions, please post.
Thanks,
Carole - CO

Pixey

Well, I gave my HD Roller Foot a try on my HD9 in sewing the purse straps to the square metal rings. Used the FootBook video to set it up...thanks Jim and Diane, that really was helpful, especially on how to swing it out of the way to install it on the machine. It worked nicely for a tight, close-in straight stitch parallel to the side of the metal ring. However, I could not figure out how to use it and make the turn to sew up the sides of the strap perpendicular to the square metal ring. Ended up using a couple of straight across parallel rows to secure the strap.

So overall positive impression of it if you need to get the needle in close but obviously need to play with it a bit more. I cannot see how it would be used for a free motion style of stitching. Psychologically it felt a bit weird sewing so close to what was almost a bare needle...particularly with a machine this powerful. Was definitely using my stiletto to guide my strap.

Pixey

favymtz

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the foot. That will help us determine if we want to invest in the foot.
--
Favymtz

Kathy Strabel

Favy----Is this the roller foot with the tractor treads?  I have a Skyline 7 and would like to get that tractor tread foot, but I cannot determine if it will fit on the S7 model. Yes, I know it is supposed to not be necessary since the S7 utilizes AccuFeed, but I am not all gaga about AccuFeed. the S7 is a 9MM and takes snap-on feet and I do have an extra ankle attachment.   Thanks.
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 6:42 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the foot. That will help us determine if we want to invest in the foot.
--
Favymtz

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

Pixey

Answering for Favy...I do not think we are talking about the same foot that you are visualizing.

I think the foot you might be calling the tractor treads one was made for the 7mm machines and was called the Rotary Even Feed foot.  There does not appear to be an equivalent to it listed in the S7 Optional Accessories.

The HD Roller Foot has a single roller on one side and looks like this...

Pixey

On Apr 9, 2021, at 10:59 AM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Favy----Is this the roller foot with the tractor treads?  I have a Skyline 7 and would like to get that tractor tread foot, but I cannot determine if it will fit on the S7 model. Yes, I know it is supposed to not be necessary since the S7 utilizes AccuFeed, but I am not all gaga about AccuFeed. the S7 is a 9MM and takes snap-on feet and I do have an extra ankle attachment.   Thanks.
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 6:42 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the foot. That will help us determine if we want to invest in the foot.
--
Favymtz

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

Cat - N

Yes...I agree with Favy, Pixey.  Thank you for the review of that foot.

- Cat

favymtz

Pixey is correct, and the Stutsmans can verify if needed.
If you have an ankle for 7mm feet, yes you can use the 7mm feet on your 9mm machine.
However, be aware that the feed dogs don't line up with the foot as well as they do with feet designed for them.
I've always thought it unfortunate that Janome never made the Rotary foot set for the 9mm machines.
It was a really nice and useful attachment, but in my opinion it didn't have the strength that our Acu-Flex system has.
And Kathy, why don't you like the Acu-feed system? I know it has it quirks but there's nothing like it when dealing with layers of fabrics and heavy sewing applications.
So much better than our old chunky walking feet...
--
Favymtz

Kathy Strabel

Pixey/Favy---You are correct, that is not the foot I was thinking about. The Rotary Even Foot is what I was thinking; it has two rows of flexible "tractor treads" that assist in going over thick seams and pull the fabric from the top layer. I think it might be helpful when making bags and purses and such, but looks like I will never know. In my opinion, the AccuFeed is not all it's cracked up to be.
Thanks for the reply--and--
Happy sewing!
Kathy Strabel

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 7:48 PM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Kathy,

I never had one but looking at it, I would have my doubts that the Rotary Even Feed foot would work better than the Acufeed Flex systems, especially when dealing with lots of layers or thicknesses.  Part of the reason I have kept my 6600 was that I like some aspects of it’s Acufeed system better than the AcuFeed Flex system that Janome went to for the 12000 and forward.  However, it is less convenient to switch the different Acufeed feet on the 6600 and there is not a narrow Acufeed option (like the Acufeed Flex offers).

That said, I have used my Acufeed Flex system on my S9 at some pre-pandemic workshops and find that usually it does work ok.  The main thing I have learned is that it is not great at climbing over lumps (which can cause the walking mechanism to pop out at the back).  So I don’t try to start it off the leading edge of my project and when I get to noticeable changes in thickness, I ease it over these slowly.  I have also found that backing off the foot tension can put less stress on it.  Finally, I learned not to expect the same type of grip and tracking from the narrow AcuFeed Flex foot that you get from the wider AcuFeed Flex foot with the double grip points (which does make sense if you look at how it is made and the amount of contact surface area for pulling the fabric).

Others on the group may have tips as well on how to get the best performance from the Acufeed Flex system.

Pixey

On Apr 10, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Pixey/Favy---You are correct, that is not the foot I was thinking about. The Rotary Even Foot is what I was thinking; it has two rows of flexible "tractor treads" that assist in going over thick seams and pull the fabric from the top layer. I think it might be helpful when making bags and purses and such, but looks like I will never know. In my opinion, the AccuFeed is not all it's cracked up to be.
Thanks for the reply--and--
Happy sewing!
Kathy Strabel

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#28294) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [pixeyam@...]

_._,_._,_