Topics

Janome Compulock 888 Serger

Cynthia Dickerson

Jim, I broke a needle on my Compulock A plate for my serger this morning.  After all these years!  Is that needle replaceable or do you have any idea where I might get a new plate.  Do you possibly have one?  Could I cut off a needle and place it in there?  Oh I am just sick.  I still love this machine!  Thanks for any help, Cindy

Jim Stutsman

It's still available as a part from a dealer - 888601003. Unfortunately we did not keep any parts. I have in the past done the cut-off-a-needle trick. It doesn't work very well, because the original needles are actually held in place by friction and slight crimping of the edges of the plate. It might work for a while until you can get a new plate. You might try some of the large online dealers to see if they would ship one to you.

Andrea LaVergne

Cynthia, I have replaced the “needle” on my serger many times over the years as well as my customers! The length is important, it should not be the same length as the stitch finger or the stitches will not be released and will bunch up. Remove the broken “needle” and select a straight pin that will fit into the groove, then place the “needle” in the slot and secure it with a drop of super glue. I use a thin quilting straight pin with the ball cut off.
Andrea LaVergne

Cynthia Dickerson

Oh my gosh!!  I can't thank you enough Andrea!!!  I took the broken needle and measured it with my digital caliper and got the thickness of the needle, then got out my quilting needles and found one the same size.  I cut it to size and put a coat of Gorilla super glue and left it dry and then put on a second coat.  I am waiting for that to dry.  I am hoping she will be as good as new!!!  I just can't imagine retiring my serger because of a needle.  She still is the best.!!  You are a life saver!

Cynthia Dickerson

Thank you Jim, can always count on your expertise.  I contacted a Janome dealer and waiting to hear if I can get a new needle plate ordered.

Cynthia Dickerson

Just wanted to tell Andea and Jim that my serger is sewing beautifully again.  Hope it lasts!!  Thank you!!

Andrea LaVergne

Cynthia, I'm glad it helped!  You may be replacing the needle again (on a new plate or your original one) if you have a tendency to bunch up your stitches on the stitch finger and then pull hard to get them off.  Work gently and it will last for years, I've repaired mine 2 times in 20 years!
Andrea