From: bhoryn via groups.io <bhoryn@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Janome 550e

I am going to be doing a thick in the hoop project and it is recommended that the last part be sewn out at the lowest speed (no problem) and also with the foot raised.    Can this be done on my machine?     Can find anything in the instruction book.    Thanks.  Beth in Ontario.

Ginger Hart

I believe you can. I use a 500 at class so I don't have it here to look at, but I think you go to settings. At the top of the screen it shows 2 icons of sewing machines. Tap the second one and I think you might scroll at the bottom to the second screen.  Try that.
Ginger

SewingRose

Trying to think back to my first embroidery machine (currently own a 500E) and remember some discussion about this some years ago, but have never tried it personally as I haven't had the need.  As you realise once the foot is raised then the tension discs are opened, it was decided to slide a piece of card to close the tension discs, you would need to experiment with card thickness until you get it just right. Thinking about it now you would need to leave space for the thread to pass through that area without being hindered.

Maybe someone else who was around back then remembers this discussion and might have tried it, but I would be inclined to give it a try as a piece of card won't damage the machine, although you will probably need to remove the left end cover....mine stays off the machine all the time anyway, it's easier to check for wayward pieces of thread/lint/etc.

Please report back as I'd be interested to hear what you try and how it works.  ;-)

georgebarbara1218@att.net

If you mean that you need to adjust the height of the presser foot you should be able to go into setting and page down to that adjustment. Frequently need to do this if going over very thick things

On Aug 18, 2020, at 7:58 PM, SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:

[...]

Pixey

Hi Beth,
It does not look like changing the foot height is an option on this series of machines.  I have the 500e but when I looked at the 550e, I did not recall seeing the operating interface being any different.  I actually think it is a bigger issue on the combination sewing and embroidery machines.

That said, I have done some fairly thick in the hoop projects with my 500e and previously on my embroidery only 350e (even some using the foam filler layer) and have not had any problem with the foot height catching.  Just be sure to trim your loose ends and any jump stitches (if you are not using the cutting feature) so there isn’t really anything to catch on.  You might also tape down edges or trims to provide a smoother transition and reduce the risk of the foot get caught.  I learned this technique from Kimberbell designs.  They are big about that, using tape to keep the foot from grabbing on height changes as it travels on their In the Hoop projects.

Pixey