Janome 15,000 vs M7

Cynthia Dickerson

I have been looking everywhere for a customer service person to answer this question.  I have the Janome 15,000.  What I want to know is the 15,000 sewing machine equivalent to the M7 sewing machine with the addition of embroidery.  Are they the same sewing machine.  Would it benefit me to purchase a M7 also or do I actually have one already with the 15,000.  I have written to several Janome reps and have not received any replys.  I guess this is an unknown question. Does any one have a customer service email address or an answer for me?  I want to know if the M7 is heavier built or more power or just the same sewing capability.

Thanks, Cindy

Lyn Quine

I have just been told the 15000 is now discontinued.  It is no longer on the UK website.  I’m gutted, thought it was going to be updated to any new machine, but it won’t be, we’ve had one upgrade.

A friend has the M7, it is similar, to the sewing side of the 15, but I can’t say for certain.

On 9 Nov 2021, at 13:46, Cynthia Dickerson <cindydickerson@...> wrote:

I have been looking everywhere for a customer service person to answer this question.  I have the Janome 15,000.  What I want to know is the 15,000 sewing machine equivalent to the M7 sewing machine with the addition of embroidery.  Are they the same sewing machine.  Would it benefit me to purchase a M7 also or do I actually have one already with the 15,000.  I have written to several Janome reps and have not received any replys.  I guess this is an unknown question. Does any one have a customer service email address or an answer for me?  I want to know if the M7 is heavier built or more power or just the same sewing capability.

Thanks, Cindy

Karen Edgecombe

The M7 has a stronger motor, and the dual feed is improved. It has better tension. This is why I traded my 15000 for the M7. It is the best machine I have ever had,

Virginia

The M7 has no free arm.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

Renee Wojnowski

The 15000 is not listed as retired on the Janome site. I did see a UK site that said discontinued, and saw  a FB post from 2018 saying discontinued. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I wonder if it was just a specific version that was discontinued.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM Karen Edgecombe via groups.io <kedgecom=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The M7 has a stronger motor, and the dual feed is improved. It has better tension. This is why I traded my 15000 for the M7. It is the best machine I have ever had,

Lyn Quine

I’ve been told by Janome UK that the 15000 is discontinued, they only now show the 550e and the DS9 for sale.    There’s no news from them as to what is to replace it.  There’s speculation from some that it will be a combi of the M7 and 550e but that to me is the 15000 with a bit extra.  It will need to be more than that though to compete with the Brother Luminaire with its digitising capability etc.

On 9 Nov 2021, at 15:08, Renee Wojnowski <wojo2201@...> wrote:

The 15000 is not listed as retired on the Janome site. I did see a UK site that said discontinued, and saw  a FB post from 2018 saying discontinued. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I wonder if it was just a specific version that was discontinued.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM Karen Edgecombe via groups.io <kedgecom=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The M7 has a stronger motor, and the dual feed is improved. It has better tension. This is why I traded my 15000 for the M7. It is the best machine I have ever had,

Cheryl Paul

The 2 machines are very different. I like them both, but for a sewing machine the M7 is the best and I mean the best of any Janome machine I have ever owned in the 35 years I’ve used a Janome machine. The M7 is definitely a stronger sewing machine as it has a stronger motor and the acufeed system has been stepped up. I don’t understand the mechanics, so I just have to believe what I’m told. I haven’t sewn anything different on any of my machines and they’ve all handled what I’ve sew up to this time

As for discontinuation: it might just be that the UK has decided not to bring any 15000’s in because there is suppose to be a new machine coming next spring at Janome Institute. Also, IF this is the case Janome may not be manufacturing that machine anymore as the resources could be going to the production of that new machine. As it is Janome’s 100th anniversary, there will definitely be something new, but who really knows “what” that might be. There has always been secrecy over the new products and SO very much speculation on the part of consumers. I do know that there is at least one floor model of the 15000 Quiltmaker at the dealer at Haus of Stitches in Humboldt, SK as I saw it this morning.

We have to be kind to our dealers as COVID has given them as much grief as it did to us. They also have had machines pulled out of closets to be serviced because with people at home they are now having time to sew or do other skills that were put on hold because they were to busy, working or going here and there, when now they cannot. These times are difficult on us all, so we need to smile more and think very positively and share the Janome Love.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Beth

I was at an event at my LQS in October and rumor has it that the new model that was to released in October but has been put off because of chip shortages is going to be a combination of the M7 and 550e. I can’t imagine how heavy that would be

Tony Coley

The word "portable" has left the house! LOL!

On Nov 10, 2021, at 5:08 AM, Beth <beth_weigt@...> wrote:

I was at an event at my LQS in October and rumor has it that the new model that was to released in October but has been put off because of chip shortages is going to be a combination of the M7 and 550e. I can’t imagine how heavy that would be

Cynthia Dickerson

Well, I don't know if the M7 and 500e combo would be enough to make me purchase Janome's new machine.  I was hoping it would be more advanced than that.  Janome was always the leader in the industry and that sounds like a step backwards to me.  Other brands are going around us!  I have been a loyal Janome customer for at least 30 years and have never purchased another brand, but some of the new models from other companies are looking pretty good and pretty pricey!!  I am retired and my hubby says one more new machine for retirement,  so I have to make it a really good one!!

Lyn Quine

I’m in the same position Cynthia, although husband says they’ve got to last.  I have the 12000 and 15000.  I must admit the brother Luminaire does look very interesting with its capabilities, but it will always be updated.  I think Janome have definitely got behind in the market place.  Whatever they do for the anniversary definitely needs to be better than M7/550e combi.  We can already buy them as individual machines, what’s the point in the combination.

On 10 Nov 2021, at 12:49, Cynthia Dickerson <cindydickerson@...> wrote:

Well, I don't know if the M7 and 500e combo would be enough to make me purchase Janome's new machine.  I was hoping it would be more advanced than that.  Janome was always the leader in the industry and that sounds like a step backwards to me.  Other brands are going around us!  I have been a loyal Janome customer for at least 30 years and have never purchased another brand, but some of the new models from other companies are looking pretty good and pretty pricey!!  I am retired and my hubby says one more new machine for retirement,  so I have to make it a really good one!!

Fiona Williams

Hi All,
My very first computerized machine was a little $500.00 Brother embroidery machine. Up until then I was a Janome girl but whenever I have Janome issues I revert back to that little machine for everything. I am currently looking at the Luminaire and actually looking forward to another Brother machine.
Fiona

On Nov 10, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry I guess I should have said my current Janome is the HMC 15000.
Fiona

On Nov 10, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Fiona Williams via groups.io <f.taylorwilliams@...> wrote:

[...]

Fran

Yes, and my dealer said it’s $17,000!

Pixey

As I frequently lament to my husband with a deep sigh, there is no perfect machine.

I recently attended an Anita Goodesign workshop where they were also selling high end Brother machines. It is obvious to me that Janome and Brother are taking very different design and market approaches to their products.  Brother is definitely adding a lot more editing features onto the machine and going for bigger hoops.  But I wasn’t as impressed with the overall durability…I saw a lot more plastic on those machines than my Janome machines have.  I also found the user interface a lot more cluttered with extra steps to go through to get to the point of stitching.  Also, they only give you 2 hoops with the machine, one smaller hoop and whatever is the max size hoop for the machine.  So going with the model that you generally want to use the hoop that is closest in size to the design, you can end up having to do a middle sized design in a gigantic hoop.  So it really just depends on what you are wanting as your priorities.

Pixey

On Nov 10, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Yes, and my dealer said it’s $17,000!

Ceil J

Pixey,
Your experience reminds me of what I found when I was looking for a new machine about 6-7 years ago when I bought my 15000.  I did go to the Brother dealer and they had a group of women doing embroidery there.  It looked like a fun group and I wanted to get the TOL Brother machine at the time and join them.  But when I actually tried out the machine it seemed cheaply made (and this was their TOL at the time) and I didn't like how it stitched.  But the dealer kept showing me all the features it had such as a laser.   As I had been to many shops and different brands before this I asked him if he did the repairs himself and he said that he had been doing all the repairs right in his shop BUT he could only do some simple cleaning on this one as "they jammed so much stuff in there".  Well, I didn't really like the stitching and feel of the machine and sending it away if there was an issue was a deal breaker for me.  I visited 3 Janome dealers and loved the quality of the machine.  My dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away but he is fantastic- honest, kind, and helpful and he really knows his stuff.  There were two other dealers who was closer but one made a point of bad-mouthing the other brands and another didn't do repairs (they had another store they sent them to).  I've been happy with my choice!

favymtz

My first sewing /embroidery machine was the top of line Babylock machine. At the time I purchased it I paid over $7k for it. This was about 20 years ago.
As many of you know, Babylock & Brother are made by the same company, much like Janome & Elna are.
The Babylock machine had to be rebuilt 2 times at my own expense. The machine wasn't nearly as sturdy, nor was the stitch quality in sewing nor embroidery nearly what we have with our Janome 15k.
Just my real experience!
Now, about the fact that Janome hangs way back when it comes to technology and bells & whistles is true, unfortunately.
I too wish they would step up their game when it comes to some of the very interesting functions that other top of the line machines have.
But I seriously doubt that they will.
Even with that, I'm very pleased with the quality of my machines, it's a better built, better running machine than many others.
--
Favymtz

Lyn Quine

It could be they’ve got behind because other brands have the patent on the technology.  I rather like the idea directional stitching of Brother sewing machines, never had the chance to try it, but who knows perhaps I will on day.

On 11 Nov 2021, at 02:18, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

[...]

Cat - N

I thought it was an interesting feature, too…saw it on BL, but wondered how often it goes wrong and feed dogs get wonky and/or need adjustment.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Nov 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM, <Lyn Quine> wrote:

[...]

atheodossis@...

Hi, I Would stay away from Brother. Brother machines are not durable. I spend good money years ago on a Dreamweaver, and the machine never worked right. The stitch and embroidery quality when compared with the Janome is not even near. Also, if you have noticed, Brother comes out with new models almost every year. Personally, I am old school, I want the machine to have quality outcome. I have been a Bernina and Janome user for 20 years, and between the 2 brands, I would never touch anything else. Pfaff is just a sad story now, Viking is basically a Singer, since they got bought out, and Brother and Babylock are just plastic, and they even have plastic gears. Juki's are not that good either. I have a Janome 14000; Janome M7; Bernina 790 Plus, and the Bernina L890 serger/top stitch combo. In my book these machines are the best you can have, no need to look around. Those of you that want to use the HP Plate & Ruler Work the M7 has you covered. You can use the 14000 for embroidery. The M7 is hands down the very best sewing machine I have ever used, and is actually better than an industrial, and much much better value since it can be a straight stitch and a zig zag machine at the same time, and it only takes seconds to switch. In US you can get a 14000 for $7K. In my mind the additional $4K for the 15000 do not worth the trouble, especially if you get an M7. If you look around you can probably snatch an M7 for around $5K right now, you just need to go to multiple places.