Topics

Janome 15,000 - Using feet from older machines

Cynthia Dickerson

I asked this once before and I was told, no, that I could not use my Janome feet from my Janome 10,000 on my 15,000 machine.  Well,  I was making a top yesterday and I wanted to use my larger 1/4 foot rolled hem foot for the hem of the top.  I don't have this foot for my 15,000.  Well this would require my dragging out the 10,000 sewing machine and setting it up to use it.  I decided to try to attach my hemming foot to the 15,000 and everyone was correct, it would not fit the foot holder.  Now, what I did try was to attach my foot holder from my 10,000 to the 15,000 machine.  It attached no problem.  I attached my 1/4 foot rolled hem foot and, of course, it fit and then I tried sewing slowly and everything worked perfectly.  This means that I just increased my feet list to use on the 15,000.  Every time I would like to use a specialty foot that I have setting in the drawer, I have to add it to my list of birthday, Christmas presents that I would like to get for the 15,000.  This is going to save me from duplicating lots of those feet.  Has anyone else tried this?

onlinesewing@...

Back when the 12000 first came out we tried this, and found that it worked well. We included the part numbers for the foot holders in our FootBook app, so that anyone who had 7mm feet could use them, even if they were from a low-shank machine. The only caveat for 15000 owners is to check very carefully to be sure the needle threader does not touch the 7mm foot holder when it comes down. The recent Quilt Maker upgrade for the 15000 replaced the foot holder for just this reason.

maggie cooper

When my 10000 got scrambled because a builder sliced through a mains electricity cable feeding a vast area just at the moment my 10k was initialising, poor machine got totally confused, if I asked for embroidery mode it started bobbin winding, sewing mode made it do all manner of weird things, I traded it in for a 9mm machine. I hung onto the extra feet I had purchased like the ruffler/pleater, adjustable zipper foot etc, and bought a 7mm ankle to fit both my 9900 and 8200 machines. I still use the extra feet I had purchased for my 10k , the only thing I have to watch for is not to use stitches that need the extra 2 millimetres to stitch correctly, my daughter gave me the 9mm binder attachment for a Christmas gift  which I discovered doesn't like any soft fabrics, the pintuck feet and guide plates for my birthday, a hem guide attachment for my cover stitch machine, and a good friend gave me the ultra glide needle plate and foot last Christmas for y 8200. I'm ashamed to say I haven't used the ultra glide needle plate and foot yet, but as I have to stitch up two faux sheepskin coats before winter arrives, they will get used. I've no intention to replace my ruffler/pleater attachment in the near future as it's not a regular use attachment, all I'd like now is the extra time I would need to get all my sewing done. A cook, cleaner, shopper, laundress and presser would be great additions to free up more time for sewing.

Helen Creamore <helencreamore@...>

You must be careful about how wide the stitch you are sewing is. The 15000 had wider stitches and if you use a foot that can not accommodate the stitch width the needle will smash into the foot. Not only will you break your needle etc. it can hit hard enough to throw out the timing.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 4:05 AM, Cynthia Dickerson <cindydickerson@...> wrote:

[...]

cas <cassweet@...>

Is that why the needle threader quit working?  The foot holder was running into it?   I was just going to ask if the 7mm foot holder would still work after the update.
Cas